Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By mgherkins Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 pm
Hey Folks,

some years ago I made this webapp called the MPC-Chordfinder.
Guess what, I just updated it :)

Version 2 is way simpler, faster and should work on mobile devices now:
https://web-development.cc/mpc-chordfinder/

If somebody liked the old version better, no worries it's still there:
https://web-development.cc/mpc-chordfinder-legacy/

I hope this helps someone figuring out how to play chords on your pads,
which I found be a lot of fun.

Cheers
Max
By saltmcgault Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:16 pm
I checked it out last night and I have 1 question. So which ever note you want to play chords on sample that key and put it on 16 level and have the original note on pad 4? Is that how to follow the chart?
By mgherkins Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:12 pm
saltmcgault wrote:I checked it out last night and I have 1 question. So which ever note you want to play chords on sample that key and put it on 16 level and have the original note on pad 4? Is that how to follow the chart?

If you need it to be tuned in the correct pitch, you'd make sure that Pad1 is in the key of C.
But then again it's all relative and if you don't play in a band or something, maybe just ignore the pitch.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:13 pm
saltmcgault wrote:I checked it out last night and I have 1 question. So which ever note you want to play chords on sample that key and put it on 16 level and have the original note on pad 4? Is that how to follow the chart?

Here is how he describes it.

Select a single note sample (poly mode) and tune it so that PAD1 is C.
Hit 16/12LEVELS (tuning).
By saltmcgault Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 pm
I wasn't expecting a reply so quickly. Thanks guys. I checked the newest version on my phone last night not the older version. Thanks for explaining. I just checked out the older version which explains it pretty well. Props on making these charts! :worthy:
By Lampdog Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:44 pm
:-D
By mgherkins Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:14 am
> Here is how he describes it.

>Select a single note sample (poly mode) and tune it so that PAD1 is C.
>Hit 16/12LEVELS (tuning).

ok, i should also include that in the new version - thanks :!:
By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:05 am
If you go to Pad Assign, Set it to chromatic, Go to PAD BANK A and Make Pad 1 - C 0 aka number 24 (General Midi). You'll can do the same thing using a key group. (Works on MPC 4000)

On the first version adding the chords below is nice. However it does not allow us to save it. It would be nice when you add chords underneath the chord, it gives the notation or place the letters on the pad itself (Good for beginner who haven't memorize the PAD notes. Examples below.

Also on the New Version
1. There's no need to show two C pad. Just showing the pads for CEG is enough.
2. C#/Db - D#/Eb - F#/Gb - G#/Ab - A#/Bb - Should show on together on the pad.
3. How about adding option for playing the scales?
4. How about a downloadable option.

By CharlesRandolph Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:47 pm
mgherkins wrote:hey, thanks for your feedback and ideas!

i just added a collection-mode to newer version.
collections can easily be shared just by the URL.

Like for example:
https://web-development.cc/mpc-chordfin ... -A7-Dm7-G7

This works well, however the double notes will confuse people. Like here
https://web-development.cc/mpc-chordfin ... 16/Cmin7b5

Cmin7b5 = C Eb Gb Bb but the link shows 6 notes. Also any chance to add 9th and 11th? :nod:
Also on the show chordfinder, everything is vertical. Would be nice if it was left to right. That way someone can see more chord pad positions.
By mgherkins Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:27 am
hey,
first of all thank you for the feedback and sorry for the late reply!

CharlesRandolph wrote:Cmin7b5 = C Eb Gb Bb but the link shows 6 notes. Also any chance to add 9th and 11th? :nod:

9th and 11th would only be possibly in some rare cases like C etc..
As we only have one octave on the pads you will naturally end up with some strange voicings and mostly
I was thinking about marking the interval on the pad (like 3rd, 5th, 6th etc).

CharlesRandolph wrote:Also on the show chordfinder, everything is vertical. Would be nice if it was left to right. That way someone can see more chord pad positions.

We'll that was kind of the mobile first design decision for the update.
But I'm working on a print view which would be A4 landscape and show a lot of chords.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:50 pm
mgherkins wrote:9th and 11th would only be possibly in some rare cases like C etc..
As we only have one octave on the pads you will naturally end up with some strange voicings and mostly
I was thinking about marking the interval on the pad (like 3rd, 5th, 6th etc).

Yes, the 9th and 11th chords would end up being first or second inversion, unless you're using two drum machines midi'ed together to give you 32 pads.

mgherkins wrote:We'll that was kind of the mobile first design decision for the update. But I'm working on a print view which would be A4 landscape and show a lot of chords.
That would be nice then we could share chord progressions. What about scales? Major, Minor, and Modes would be cool as well.

Have you seen this? Your app would really work well for FORCE due to the amount of pads it have.