Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.

By beyondhope1 Tue May 10, 2005 2:20 pm
Sounds like you need another MPC for some live performance. ; )

By mpc3000 Tue May 10, 2005 2:46 pm
I've done two hours on 106 Mb in the MPC.

It comes down to:
1. Understanding samplers and sampling technique.
2. Understanding the MPC.
3. Understanding and identifying a problem when you have one.

Unlikely you will be ready in two weeks.

By beyondhope1 Tue May 10, 2005 3:21 pm
^^ I have to agree with you. Yes technique has a big deal, for an example Take all your stereo samples listen to them and convert the non necassary stereo samples to mono. Saves more time. Of course Understanding the MPC jas a big deal to do with it. BUT I think you can do it with in two weeks...

^^ thats good MPC3000 that you have done 2 hours with only 106mb, but what if redlines have longer and more samples to use then you... little stuff like that matters...

Redlines, I think you should go through all your samples and try to convert stereo samples to mono, and resample the samples that will be hit the same time, for example. If your using a 2 kicks in aloop resample them together so that you have 1 sample instead of 2, But if you use those samples not always together then never mind... Make sure that you dont have non nessasary samples (that wont be use that night) Get rid of them.

Good luck Man...

By REDLINES Wed May 11, 2005 4:05 am
THANKS SO much for all your input. this board has been completely informative and I hope to post on here for a long time to come.

I support akai and their simple approach to music.

Your feedback was much appreicated!

:D

By beyondhope1 Wed May 11, 2005 4:10 am
No prob

By REDLINES Wed May 11, 2005 4:26 am
beyondhope1 wrote:Sounds like you need another MPC for some live performance. ; )

serious thought.......

not to sound silly but....what are the thoughts of two mpc 1000's vs just using a 2000 version...

umm the thought has been planted.... I tend to enjoy the 1000 layout better. (re-record) to the right / pads to the left myself.

By beyondhope1 Wed May 11, 2005 4:41 am
WEll if you have alot of samples needed and your loaded with cash i dont see a problem, Midi both of them up... That would be tight...

By beyondhope1 Wed May 11, 2005 4:44 am
REDLINES wrote:
beyondhope1 wrote:Sounds like you need another MPC for some live performance. ; )

serious thought.......

not to sound silly but....what are the thoughts of two mpc 1000's vs just using a 2000 version...

umm the thought has been planted.... I tend to enjoy the 1000 layout better. (re-record) to the right / pads to the left myself.

Well with the 2k you would run into the same problem.. Memory so its up to you..

By REDLINES Wed May 11, 2005 4:59 am
sitting here thinking ....( now after I bought the 1 gig flash card)

couldn't I use a main folder keeping it under 128 for a master .....and/or something as a starting point. Make loops...and perhaps save them as individual patterns individually....and one by one add them to my autoload? and I haven't had enought experience loading and unloading.

* only had the unit for a 3 weeks and have had limited time on it.

does that make any sense?

i haven't done it yet. from my experience when i'm in autolaod and I load up another track or pattern it goes on top of the autoload and I lose the latest autoload setting.

this thought is to attempt to keep the main autoload for the live performance but have the option to play with many sounds to create a loop in a different folder...then throw the loops that I've decided to work with into the autoload.

I apologize for the 10,000 questions but my mind is starting to turn with the different approaches that have come to mind..

By beyondhope1 Wed May 11, 2005 5:09 am
First off I dont mind helping you out...

Okay heres the deal let me know if this is correct. You have a show with in 2 weeks. You just got the MPC. Your trying to play your MPC for 2 hours straight with out any music stopping. RIGHT?

Are you making the beats on the MPC or just looping them?
If so why dont you make the sequences at home. Put them on a CD play that CD in the CD player and have your MPC their and bang extra stuff into the mix.

If your making the beats not using all loops, just sit infront of your MPC and map out a plan of action. Time your self and see how many sample you really need inorder to make things work. I know how live performances get. Its an adrenelin Rush.. The picture below was a show i just played and the crowd went wild after the show my hands were shaking do to the joy that i got. This picture was taken from my local newspaper ( The Camera man gave me like 250 pictures on a
CD). I love shows man, And I wish you luck. If you need any more help just PM me and let me know how everything went.