Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.

By pulse_divider Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:10 am
I use an Electrix Repeater with my MPC. It allows me to use loops and have them autosync to the tempo of the MPC without changing the pitch (like Acid, but hardware). It sounds pretty good as long as the timestretching isn't too extreme.
By DSTR / deStar Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:35 pm
Hey!

I'm going to perform live soon with my MPC 1000.

I'm wondering how to load more than one beat at once so I don't have to make the crowd wait for me to load the next beat every time!

Every beat of mine is spread out onto multiple sequences (often up to 20 sequences, from Seq#1 - Seq#20).

Every beat of mine is individually saved in its own folder.

Thanks!
By detomasso Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:02 pm
krissserz wrote:Hey!

I'm going to perform live soon with my MPC 1000.

I'm wondering how to load more than one beat at once so I don't have to make the crowd wait for me to load the next beat every time!

Every beat of mine is spread out onto multiple sequences (often up to 20 sequences, from Seq#1 - Seq#20).

Every beat of mine is individually saved in its own folder.

Thanks!

i also make live acts with my MPC1000+some VA's+FX. i use a different approach. i use every seq as a full song. this way I have 128-160 bar for each seq. though i need to program and edit the seq/bars in details it worth, cuz i can change to a new 'song' by turning the data wheel to the next seq.
what i load at the beginning of the show is a full project having all the samples and seq's in order.
By DSTR / deStar Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm
i also make live acts with my MPC1000+some VA's+FX. i use a different approach. i use every seq as a full song. this way I have 128-160 bar for each seq. though i need to program and edit the seq/bars in details it worth, cuz i can change to a new 'song' by turning the data wheel to the next seq.
what i load at the beginning of the show is a full project having all the samples and seq's in order.

Thanks!

How do you convert a beat into one single sequence? You resample you beat as a whole and you apply the "flattened" beat onto a sequence?

Chris.
By detomasso Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:20 pm
krissserz wrote:

Thanks!

How do you convert a beat into one single sequence? You resample you beat as a whole and you apply the "flattened" beat onto a sequence?

Chris.

no-no. i don't resample my beats. i chop everything to small samples, no long loops.
i build up every beat from the basics from scratch.

Re:

By fawn Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 am
djcriminal wrote:Some good tips from pulse_divider.

The only problem I'm having is there's a lot of variation and change-ups in some of my mixed-down tracks, which can be difficult to replicate (that is, without re-doing the whole track). It's extremely time-consuming to rebuild the majority from scratch.

When composing stuff on a sampler I always think of the 'recorded version' and the live version. So long as I can get all my ideas recorded on the multitrack at some point, I like having stripped down stuff as the live stuff and I don't worry too much about exactly duplicating things.

I've also found interesting new change-ups and stuff in the live version, and that stuff can get incorporated into the recorded version too....

plus one on pulse_divider praise!
By lockah Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:14 pm
The SP404 is used a LOT for the OP's purpose. most 'live' beat performances ive seen on them load the entire beat into one pad, then jerk about with FX. check any of the LA beat dudes and most of them are doing this. not to take anything away from it.

Pernod, you can trigger SFX,drops, and also 'tap in the beat' with the SP404 which is kind of fun. actually, i have a video of me doing this http://instagram.com/p/sP9-_VNoyd/?modal=true - i just happened to be playing the pad with a midi'd up machinedrum, not the actual SP404 pad.