Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By Jacpot Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:52 pm
I've heard a lot of peeps talking about how they scratch using only the mpc. So I sat down and figured it out. It actually came out sounding pretty dope. This might be old to some but not to all.

First start out with a basic sound that u want to scratch with.
Go into params and change poly to note off
Now assign that sound to the slider. Change the slider parameters to tuning. For best results change the slider range to +0 and -120.
Now just tap the pad repeatedly at the same time using the slider for pitch bending. It may take practice but once u get it down u can do almost any turntable scratch. Heres an example... It came out pretty dope

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=367986

By hfinal Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:14 pm
Hehe...

That really didnt sound realistic at all. You need to understand that there is much more to scratching than taking a sample from the beginning and playing it at different pitches. But I understand what you are trying to do tho.

By Fist Full of Dollaz Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:19 pm
that was pretty close for some types of cutting, try putting the same sample in reverse on a pad right beside the regular and switch back and forth b/w both, it may give more flexibility

By Jacpot Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:27 pm
Man Ive been djing for 10 years and that sounds just like a transform to me. This was just a basic example anyway.

By stryke Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:41 pm
I thought it was pretty cool.

Good ish Jac.

By Jacpot Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:42 pm
stryke wrote:I thought it was pretty cool.

Good ish Jac.

Thanks it was my first attempt at it

By hfinal Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:53 pm
No doubt, pretty cool. But still, if you want to try to imitate scratching, you need at least a few variations of the sample - forward, reverse, clovered etc. But then again, you would have to do that on a turntable - so why not just go with the real thing;)

A transform is when you take a sample and do baby's across it while rythmically clicking the crossfader. What you did in your file imitates stabs. Ah im being annoying now.;)

By RonDu Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:53 pm
Does sound like you're transforming though. Like dude said try putting a reverse sample on one of the pads and rock with that. If my slider worked I'd try that $h*t :(

By BassLINE Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:55 pm
Yeah, that did sound pretty much like a transform (albeit a very clean, digital one). Very cool.

By Jacpot Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:55 pm
RonDu wrote:Does sound like you're transforming though. Like dude said try putting a reverse sample on one of the pads and rock with that. If my slider worked I'd try that $h*t :(

Ok thanks for all the suggestions but this was just a small lil example for the newbies. I could have gotten pretty technical with it but I decided to keep it simple

By Jacpot Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:00 am
hfinal wrote:No doubt, pretty cool. But still, if you want to try to imitate scratching, you need at least a few variations of the sample - forward, reverse, clovered etc. But then again, you would have to do that on a turntable - so why not just go with the real thing;)

A transform is when you take a sample and do baby's across it while rythmically clicking the crossfader. What you did in your file imitates stabs. Ah im being annoying now.;)

You dont have to just do baby scratches to perform a transform, Transforming is just the act of hitting the crossfader back and forth very quickly. U can do any type of scratching you want but if your moving that fader its transforming. Oh Im being annoying now :wink:

and also I wouldnt need a turntable to do variations on the sample, I got the xl so All i have to do is make a copy of the sample and play it in reverse. Than assign it to the pad next to the original and alternate between pads to get different scratch variations, but I was just keeping it simple homey
Last edited by Jacpot on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

By hfinal Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:02 am
I dont agree. However, the technique you displayed in your mp3 resembles a STAB.

By orjanbeats Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:03 am
hfinal wrote:Hehe...

That really didnt sound realistic at all. You need to understand that there is much more to scratching than taking a sample from the beginning and playing it at different pitches. But I understand what you are trying to do tho.

hfinal wrote:No doubt, pretty cool. But still, if you want to try to imitate scratching, you need at least a few variations of the sample - forward, reverse, clovered etc. But then again, you would have to do that on a turntable - so why not just go with the real thing;)

WORD!

Nah you're not beeing annoying hfinal, you are just telling the truth. It didn't sound like scratchning at all. hfinal knows his shit, he has participated in DMC world championship.
This is disrespect against the turntablism artform, it sounded almost as bad as the FL scratch simulator.

By Jacpot Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:08 am
orjanbeats wrote:
hfinal wrote:Hehe...

WORD!

Nah you're not beeing annoying hfinal, you are just telling the truth. It didn't sound like scratchning at all. hfinal knows his ****, he has participated in DMC world championship.
This is disrespect against the turntablism artform, it sounded almost as bad as the FL scratch simulator.

LOL damn I thought it was dope.

By hfinal Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:10 am
lets be friends now.;)

What is that beat btw? Its pretty nice!