Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By saint_surly Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:26 am
I did my first gig on sunday night using the mpc1000, 1 technics 1200 and a mixer. I managed to squeeze out an 1hr set with about 90% my originals and 10% mixed in vinyl...

The mpc didnt skip a beat i had about 14 programs loaded (probably about 100mb worth) and about 16 sequences and it all worked well. The new o.s. made things even sweeter due to the delays, greater mixer controll and realtime q-link manipluation... The whole experience was really inspiring as i've never done anything live before and i just found the mpc so intuitive to work with.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone elses live experiences with the 1k.

Saint Surly.

By animalcub Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:30 pm
did u record ur set??

If so i'd be interested to hear it.

By sparq Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:39 pm
congratulations, glad to hear everything went with no problems

By AlphaMale Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:27 pm
Nice! Thats really reassuring to hear... I remember this machine getting flack for dropping samples, but I haven't experienced that since the newer OS's dropped.

The 1000 almost seems like it was built with live performance in mind. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the other MPCs, but with the two q-links, the hard drive option, compact size, etc. its just begging to be the centerpiece of a live show.

Glad yours went well!

By beyondhope1 Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:54 pm
Yeah I use my MPC Every show... I never had a problem with it or the old OS... I love it its cool...
By Djablo Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:06 pm
This gig was recorded live and direct last summer @ a underground party in the docks of stockholm :D

The MPC 1000 was used for all the beats and melodies that you hear, all n all for about 70 % of everything. All the vocals you hear are triggered live from my powerbook using the VJ software Arkaos and @ the same time you hear the sample you also saw the scene from the movie pi (darren aronofsky) on a tv set underneath me.

Gear list for this live gig :

MPC 1000 (sequences executed live, no songs)
Kaos Pad 2 (all the dubby fx on vocals and some routed sounds from sep output on the MPC)
CDJ 1000 (for some of the sounds)
Apple Powerbook 1.67GHZ running Arkaos VJ software (all "vocals" and video loops)
Mackie mixer 12 channels
1 old skool tv 8)

The whole gig was recorded to a minidisc and then back to my computer were i mastered the stereo file from the disc, no extras was added in post production everything you hear was executed live...

I had a handfull of things to do, he he he never been more busy before as i not only was the musical artist but also the vj he he…

The MPC was very stable, not a glith, just performing @ 100%!

You can download the whole gig from my server, the tracks are separated so you can jump between them…

Download the gig here (its a 84 MB download so go and make yourself some nice hot coffee :D ) :

http://www.blattelicious.se/mp3/djablo_ ... i_live.zip

And if your interested in how the heck this looked, go to my website http://www.djablo.net click on DJABLOLAB and then on VIDEO and there you have it, my own album live, remixed and mashed up together with audio and video from one of my fav movies, the insane but wonderful pi!

And yes, as it was recorded last summer the os in use was v 1.07 8)

Enjoy and bless you all!!

By mux Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:31 pm
same, I've been using my MPC live as the center of my rig since shortly after I got it. The site in my sig has links to recordings and videos from some of my livepa shows - all original material. If you're into bangin' electronic dance music you might like my stuff.

just like Djablo, I do not use song mode.

By naugie Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:30 pm
very awesome video :) and kick ass songs.

By saint_surly Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:50 am
animalcub wrote:did u record ur set??

If so i'd be interested to hear it.

unfortunatlly i didn't, though i wish i had... my friend has a minidisc recorder i could have borrowed as well damnitt.

I also did the same as Djablo - just used sequences and no songs... i had all my sequences and effects saved into the one ALL file. The track mutes and next sequence funtions came in real handy as well.

saint surly.

By detomasso Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:15 am
so we can state that song mode is not suggested to use in a live act?

By naugie Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:36 pm
why would u want to use songmode in live mode? just use mute pads and next sequence funtion or u can do like the manaul said u can make an entire song in just one sequence :)

By saint_surly Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:21 am
i usually start with a few sequences then i use song mode to get abit of structure and then convert the song back to a sequence so i can tweak things more and use the track mutes etc. i was also recording extra sequences to loop on the fly while playing live by turning the click off...

By Austin_tacious Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:48 pm
1000 and Emu XL7 are my live centerpieces. I don't use song mode in the studio, let alone live! Flipping tracks live is the performance part (and playing along with synths and audio manipulation etc). Create an all song seq file in preproduction then just turn that thing on. Good to go.