Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By bruxism Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:26 pm
yo, pretty basic question but i thought i might ask. so, i'm planning to run my MPC1000 as the sequencer and master clock, and have a novation bassstation running from one midi out and a Novation KS5 synth(which i'm buying tomorrow, YAY!) running from the other midi out, they will also being running into the midi in's, A and B respectively.

the plan is to sequence various parts of my performance, drums on the MPC, Bassline on 1 synth, lead lines on the other synth. so i have to send the MIDI information down different channels so the different Synths don't get the same information, right? I'm not too clear on that point.

Then, once i have that happening, i plan to mute various tracks in my performance, so say mute the bassline, and play it live, mute the drums, and play them live, etc etc. Does anyone forsee any difficulties that could arise from that idea?

Oh, to complete the setup i'm running it all into one channel of my two channel mixer, and i'll be scratching and cutting up vocals on the turntable on the other channel.

Ok, so i'm about to drop $1400 on the KS5 to complete the setup, somebody tell me i'm crazy and it'll never work before i go and spend all my money!

Peace out

bruxism

By bruxism Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:44 am
well, being primarily a scratcher it kind of just made sense in my head, that way i can be scratching and mute all the other sound just by cutting it out on the fader.

but thinking about it now, mayb it might be a better idea to run it all into something else, mayb a mixer with a few more channels so i can control everything's output a little better.

By K-bot Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:18 am
And then back into your dj mixer ;)

By bruxism Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:45 am
yo, so the main question i have is how do i set it up so that the two synths are not getting the same midi signals? it's got something to do with midi channels right? Do i set that up from the MPC end, or do i have to set the synths to only receive on certain channels?

midi still confuses me a bit, but i'm starting to work it out i think.... :?

By McSmooth Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:06 pm
You need to set it up on both ends. You tell the MPC's tracks which MIDI channel to play on and your modules which MIDI channel to listen on. In the MPC its simple and right on the main sequence page. On your synths, its typically right in the synth setup. Should be an easy find in the manual if you can't figure it out. It's all pretty straight forward... it can get real confusing when you start running synths multitimbraly and use several different sounds at once from multiple channels.

By hyena Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:25 pm
set up each synth to receive on a different midi channel , then output the midi tracks on the mpc to the channels u selected. no need to use two outs, just plug em in daisychain.
mpc midi out a------>bass midi in; bass midi thru---->synth midi in

u only need to plug the midi outs of the synths to the midi in of the mpc if u want to record the notes u play on them keyboards, if u dont, u just dont need to make em return.

sorry but u cannot output the three machines to one single mixer channel.
u need 2 stereo channels(1 for mpc and 1 for the ks5) and one mono channel (for the bass station).
midi cables only bring informations (midi notes, pgm changes , midi cc etc) they dont transmit any kind of audio signal, understand?
so, u need another mixer!
or u can plug mpc on channel 1, ks5 on channel 2 and the bassline in the mic fx in (if ur mixer have it...) but so u have no room for the deck...
u need a bigger mixer,mate.

By bruxism Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:46 pm
yep cool, sorted under control. I'll run the MPC and my two synths into my 12 channel mackie and then run that into the battle mixer on one channel. Man this is gonna be a beasty setup, i can't wait!