Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By Otayo20 Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:53 am
Im lookin to pick up a mic pre for live performances. Somethin that has a good compressor in it but reasonably priced and portable. Any suggestions?

By rickrock305 Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:44 am
whats reasonably priced? give me a dollar range here.

By Otayo20 Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:01 am
shiet...under a gee would be nice maybe $1500.

By rickrock305 Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:58 pm
you can find a used avalon 737 for around that price. just be sure to get one with the babyface mod, it turns the crap compressor into something usable. and then you also have filter and EQ, handy for a live situation

By fader-pro Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:46 pm
The pre-s built into most mixers a fine for live work. Pick up something decent used and add an outboard compressor. You can grow into a bigger setup with more than one channel. There's not alot of folks doing live work using $1000 pre's....Between the room and the ambient noise, whp's gonna know the difference?

By d_loc Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 am
Under $1000 and portable, you may want to check out the DAV BG-1. Actually I would say, you definitely want to check out the DAV BG-1. Although there is no compressor.

For live performance, I wouldn't really want to bring a nice preamp out, especially if your shows get rowdy. I mean, what good rap record has ever been done live anyway? I hope there is one but I sure can't think of any. If you're not doing radio releases, you should be cool with something waaaaaaaaaay under a G. If you want to splash though there are some "portable" pres to check out::: GT Brick, Millenia Origin, UA 610 and 710 (I think?) and the way I would go, the BG-1.

If you want a good sound live, not a good preamp, having a good EQ might be more important in getting the right sound for the room. Getting a good mic would also be key. Getting a good preamp, not so much I would think. Not trying to shoot down your question, but half the shows I see you can;t hear or barely understand the MC's anyway, nevermind hear the difference between a $100 and $500 preamp.

By d_loc Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:12 am
What about the Toft EC-1, I hear that's a good EQ and compressor, pretty cheap too. Worth trying probly.

By Otayo20 Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:18 pm
fader-pro wrote:The pre-s built into most mixers a fine for live work. Pick up something decent used and add an outboard compressor. You can grow into a bigger setup with more than one channel. There's not alot of folks doing live work using $1000 pre's....Between the room and the ambient noise, whp's gonna know the difference?

i guess what i wan to do is have compression on my vocals the most so it has the volume without the strain. Being that my performances is usaully with my duo that sounds like a good idea. As much as I should I didnt even think of that. Good loox! any good compresseor suggestions?

By rickrock305 Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:26 pm
for live work, i'd go with something cheap like the FMR Really Nice Compressor.

By Otayo20 Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:16 pm
what about runnin a pro-tools set up out of a M Box to the the live board? How good would that rate using digital compression from pro tools?

By rickrock305 Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:03 pm
nah, you don't wanna do that for a live setup. keep it simple.

By NAJROCK Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:10 pm
the groove tubes brick is the answer... i use this live and its **** amazing

By Otayo20 Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 pm
rickrock305 wrote:nah, you don't wanna do that for a live setup. keep it simple.

well im just curious for an imediate solution. I have a portable pro-tools set up. Just wounder if it's woth doing.

By rickrock305 Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:20 am
Otayo20 wrote:
rickrock305 wrote:nah, you don't wanna do that for a live setup. keep it simple.

well im just curious for an imediate solution. I have a portable pro-tools set up. Just wounder if it's woth doing.

no, not worth it. this would mean your entire vocal chain is going into the computer and back out again, meaning a/d and d/a conversion, latency, and god forbid the comp crashes during your performance, your f*cked.

By Otayo20 Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:22 pm
rickrock305 wrote:
Otayo20 wrote:

no, not worth it. this would mean your entire vocal chain is going into the computer and back out again, meaning a/d and d/a conversion, latency, and god forbid the comp crashes during your performance, your f*cked.

word.