Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.

By alien_brain Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:01 am
get a flashlight so you can see the buttons

get a footswitch so you can blah blah blah

get a midi controller so you can tweak it (comming soon)

mold all that capability to your needs, with specialized midi controller hardware if needed

By pj33arc Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:17 am
Just do it.

By sleepersriddle Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:20 am
I have used it live for 3 gigs and 20-30 times jamming with friends.

My biggest tip is keep it simple! When you're live everything becomes a bigger deal than you think.

For instance, last time I played here's all I did: I looked at each track in our setlist, which are stored as Ableton live sequenced files. For each track I asked myself, 'what are the 1 or 2 aspects of this track that i could re-create in realtime by playing the mpc pads'. I figured that out, and muted those channels, then rendered the full ableton mix minus those channels.
Then I took all the audio from the missing channels, and pulled them into recycle. (You could also chop on the mpc.) I picked out all the best chops, then used bluebox to make a program for each song.

It worked really well, best gig yet with these guys. I am feeling confident with my pad-hitting skills, so I was mixing a cdj with one hand and bashing on pads a lot with the other. I used the q-link to change pitch and do a few 'fake scratches'. The crowd seemed to take notice and enjoy it.

That was for my hiphop set with mc's, where I play more of a 'dj' role.

I'm working on a techno set for this summer, using a machinedrum, mpc1k and mixer/fx. I will play full sequenced tracks plus live fills from the mpc, using all 6 outs onto separate mixer channels. Then I will fade over to the machinedrum while I load each new track onto the mpc, then mix back to the mpc.

Hope that helps

By sleepersriddle Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:21 am
also, don't forget your flash card :).

don't forget to load your programs before you start.

put them all in one folder and use 'load/clear all' to make sure the mpc only has what you want in there.

By Antonym Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:54 pm
do the scratch thing

make sure people SEE what you're doing, rather than just being the guy on the box

incorporate some sort of movement into your performance

mold all that capability to your needs, with specialized midi controller hardware if needed