Share tips, tricks, gear set ups and videos relating to the use of MPCs in live performances including MPC finger drumming, MPC scratching, using MPCs with decks, computers and other instruments.
By TOTAL Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:28 pm
Let me start with that I have completely no experience with either live performance or with Akais or other sampling hardware. But I am quite familiar with Kontakt and Halion virtuals.

I am not going to buy any records and I have never done that (I want to make music which is more rather than less made by myself from pieces made by myself)

I want a machine to play live modern sounding beat music;
I don't want it to be a computer.

I wonder if you could help me.

I have been thinking of the possibilities, and I have concluded that it could be a MC-808 or one of MPCs.

1. is a sampler like akai a device for a satisfying more or less unique live show, without any decks or other extra equipment?

I mean, I heard complaints about sampling grooveboxes by Roland, unlike Akai, to be unable to mangle with samples themselves on-the-fly. It was allegedly a reason why Rolands should be inferior to MPCs.

Or a different approach, you push buttons triggering loops, you mix them, and... what else is it that you can do with MPCs live?

2. Would 500 be in any way worse as far as live performance is concerned than its bigger brothers?

3. If not MPC, what else might do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
By _Stilo_ Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:58 pm
TOTAL wrote:I mean, I heard complaints about sampling grooveboxes by Roland, unlike Akai, to be unable to mangle with samples themselves on-the-fly.

What's that supposed to mean?

TOTAL wrote:3. If not MPC, what else might do the job?

You might look at the Electribe ESX (inferior sampler specs, but better live capabilities in my opinion, and much cheaper). Check out these guys performing with like 4 of these boxes live.

Of course in the end it will be a matter of personal preference, which means you would have to know different machines a little from own experience, although that will be difficult, I know.

By TOTAL Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:58 am
"What's that supposed to mean?"

I don't know. I will try to find this post again and ask the person who wrote it.

Okay. I will look into this ESX.