MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By idk973 Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:49 pm
hi,
know that few uses linux over there. me too.
i've been able to make the mpc software usable via wine (but no luck to choose jack as driver)
but don't know if it's possible to make my mpcx usable in controller mode.
when i plug it, nothing happen.

somebody know a workaround ?
By SakisX Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:18 pm
idk973 wrote:hi,
know that few uses linux over there. me too.
i've been able to make the mpc software usable via wine (but no luck to choose jack as driver)
but don't know if it's possible to make my mpcx usable in controller mode.
when i plug it, nothing happen.

somebody know a workaround ?

Hi,
you can search for wineasio where it connects windows asio to jack .
As for connecting the hardware ,unfortunately it's impossible since it requires linux driver ,you can't use on wine a windows kernel driver (I know you'll try to install the driver but it won't work) .
Best workaround is simply to dual boot (keep in mind you'll have to reinstall grub)
Or use MPCX as a dummy midi controller and map qlinks , buttons and pads to the software
Using a VM will add much latency and complexity
By DokBrown Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:15 pm
I use linux 40-60% of the time but I keep a windows laptop around for
Proprietary software. fiddling with drivers & running commands is no fun at all. Linux is particularly weak when it comes popular audio/video software. this is why I like my new MPC so much, I only use my laptop for audacity/ file storage.

---apex sketch
---ableton LIVE
--- SAMSUNG smart switch
By fccoelho Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:00 am
I have good news for my fellow Linux users out there. I have Just bought an MPC-One and proceeded to upgrade the firmware to 2.10. Which worked flawlessly from the SDcard.

Then I wanted to try the MPC sotware but could not find any success story of making it work with WINE.

Luckily I recalled that A wine utility called PlayonLinux manages to install complicated games that cannot be trivially instaled with WINE.

So I Opened PlayonLinux (POL) and selected "Install program" and followed the steps below
  1. Selected Install unlisted program
  1. You are asked to create a virtual unit for your program. Do it
  1. Select the installation file "install MPC.exe"
  1. The instalation window will pop up asking you to select your type of MPC. Do it.
  1. Then there will be three installation stages: Install MPC software, Install the Driver and Run MPC. Chose the topmost. It should complete normally.
  1. Then click on the second installation step, that warns you that after i completes you will need to reboot windows.
  1. The second installation step failed halfway for me with an uninformative message.
  1. After rebooting with the command wineboot, and restarting POL. I tried to install the driver again just to see it fail again. But after closing the failed installation window, PLO asked if I wanted to create a shrtcut to the Program I had just installed: MPC. So I did.
  1. After double clicking the shortcut just created for the MPC program, It opens a window for Software Activation that show a progress bar that goes up to 99% and just never finishes.

And.... That is where I stopped. I'll try more later If anyone manages to go further, let me know!
By idk973 Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:31 pm
Yes sadly. I've been able to install the mpc software with wine without a pb. But indeed can't put my mpcx in standalone to connect with the software.
The only workaround I've found is to make my beat in standalone, then arrange within the software with mouse and keyboard
By mrdorianjames Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:44 pm
This is a long shot, but maybe we can use Ndiswrapper to install the windows driver. Ndiswrapper is used to install things like usb wifi network card drivers. It's possible that MPC sees itself as a USB network card since the driver literally says Network driver. That would make sense. You'd have to extract the .inf file out of the EXE installer. I looked around at it and there does seem to be a few .INF files inside the EXE installer. not sure which is right and if this would actually work or not.
By conrad Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:23 am
Sense-A wrote:Is there any way to run it on virtual machine on linux and then bridge the audio from virtual machine into the linux OS environment?

more interesting option is to get into the linux on the MPC and netcat the audio streams (32x internal mpc busses) as they show up in alsa on the mpc across to your linux pc,
By bitermc Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:06 pm
Sense-A wrote:Is there any way to run it on virtual machine on linux and then bridge the audio from virtual machine into the linux OS environment?

VMs are not efficient for audio processing, as they always add an abstraction layer that adds extra latency. Even VoIP servers usually rely on hardware, when everything else is virtualized.

The same must go for Wine, I guess, emulating the Windows environment for a VST under a native Linux host must work fine, but emulating it for a complete host like Cubase or the MPC software adds too much load and too much surface for error.
By Telefunky Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:21 pm
There isn‘t anything emulated in WINE (those last 3 letters stand for is not an emulator)
Wine replaces calls to Win library routines by rewritten code that follows the exact same calling/callback scheme. It can be faster or slower or equal speed.
But not all details of the Win API are documented, some things are flawed, etc, so success varies with application. Custom driver code is almost impossible (afaik).

I recently had a nice surprise when checking Wine on a MacMini M1, admittedly with low expectations as it needs the Rosetta layer to translate X86 to ARM.
But the same code performed almost identical on an i5 3ghz (Win7/64) and the M1, which has a similar clockrate. (using Crossover btw)
By GoodTimeAlliance Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:51 pm
I have almost completely switched to linux for audio now since BITWIG.

MPC is my only real problem left.
Please AKAIN make MPC for Linux & a driver to go with it.

I would have thought that since MPC standalone is essentially running Linux the task shouldnt really be that hard... You basically already done it!!!

Audio on Linux is great... I get more grunt out of my old laptop running BITWIG on linux than I do on windows. It seems to use the power better somehow.

Cheers