MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By JAH Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Now that I've set up the Feature Suggestions forum, do you want me to lock this existing 'sticky', so all feature suggestion are just a dedicated topic for each one?

Locking this one would be great now there is a Subforum. Thanks Tutor!

But while it is open:
1. Turn automation on/off per track
2. LDC Screen capture (for Tutorial Making)
3. Option to Turn Off Tamp Tempo light constantly flashing
4. Load folders from hardware
5. Set Note Repeat in any mode
6. Full Level from External Keyboard
7. Allow users samples to be used in MPC Expansion Instruments
8. Delete samples from hardware
9. Enabled 16 or 24 bit recording in Sample Record Mode
10. Lock the Sudden button
11. Use Window button to open/close plugin instrument GUIs
12. One Shot sample playback in Sample Edit Modes
13. Open/hide software browser from hardware
14. Keygroup Mixer
15. Convert slices to keygroup program
By vampiro mulato Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 pm
I just realized that a bunch of my sugestions are already running in the mpc...
then, I have just more 5, usefull to live acts:
1- habillity to lock the keys "sudden" or "next bar" like the key "hold" in next sequence live mode.
2-habillity to play sequences (mid files) from pads like samples (one shot, note on). It doesn't work well in the "sudden" mode...
3-habillity to record your song live, playing pads. the song recording must respect the duration that you lived played your sequences in the pads.
4-habillity to record q-links modulations during the song recording
5-habillity to copy and past sequences from the pads
just saying... :P
By vampiro mulato Thu May 23, 2013 12:12 am
well, let's put like this:
the best way to set up and manage samples, programs and multis was in the MPC 4000. We need a better way to select unused programs, to create multi programs that respond to the program change commands.
By WKempton Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am
T.C. -settings should show the settings that are currently in use within that particular track. Now if I shift the timing of track 2 to -17 and go back to track 1 and open T.C. -settings, it'll be showing track 2 settings. So now I have no way to see or figure out what the original Track 1 -settings were...
By Eyalc Sun May 26, 2013 2:33 pm
My production partner just bought one of these. Been using it since Thursday straight through to today, and working to produce a track for a project in the software, as a plugin using Logic... I've seen discussions (arguments) on these suggestions on this board, but figure I'd add my two cents anyway...

Two things that would be great...

1. Mixer independent of the sequences, so that song mode can be used more effectively. We produce, write and do 75% of the mixing at the same time. We don't really do beats much - we do songs with changes / bridges... so one linear sequence makes composition a bit difficult.

2. Ability to output more than 8 stereo / 16 mono outs from the software to the host DAW. 48 would be great, but would love to see way more than 8. Our compositions are usually 20 - 25 tracks of instruments, many of them in stereo, so it's impossible to do a proper mix from within the DAW, with each sound having a dedicated DAW channel. Don't actually see how anyone making full compositions is able to do a full mix using it the way it is. Our work around has been to wait until the composition is complete, then export all tracks as wavs. But that approach isn't optimal when you're producing songs - we tweak music around the vocals, change up instruments based on harmonies and vocal deliveries as the song is coming together. We need to be able to tweak the sounds as we're even recording. We don't want to half mix in the MPC software and half in the DAW - we want to mix completely in the DAW (isn't this the intention of the MPC plugin mode?) If this was just a virtual instrument, I could understand the 8 virtual outs, but the MPC is intended for full compositions, so 8 virtual outs really doesn't make sense. I should be able to have a virtual out for every track I have in the MPC.

We realize this is our way of doing things, but they are also a very popular way of doing things. It seems the MPC software is stuck right now somewhere in between the 4 bar / 4 track (3 for drums, 1 for the sample) producers, and full composition producers. The suggestions above will probably more benefit the latter... but it'd be MUCH more useful with these additions.
By mikecevaz Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 am
cyrus wrote:for me, its more about workflow than features, but with that said, here are some biggies that can't be missed (comparing to maschine and jjos, and use of classic mpc's). currently this is my current request based on some things maschine is missing and with my mind set still on mpc workflow.

VSTs:
1.host vsts - load vst's per pad, per pgm, per track, master. Basically I want to load up my drum kit and throw an eq or filter of my choice on each drum (or any vst for that matter, compressor or reverb, etc.). Obviously there are some cpu concerns with doing something like having a vst loaded on every damn sound is prob a bad idea, but letting the user decide is where its at.
2.auto mapping those vst params to the knobs,
3.bundled with a set of nice set of vst effects.
4.applying global vst effects on an entire pgm or the master out.

SAMPLE EDITING:
1.dedicate sample editing knobs. when you are in the sample editing mode (not sure how it will actually look), you need to have dedicate knobs like maschine does to sample start and end points. you also need dedicated knobs to sample zoom (vertical and horizontal), and panning/scrubing left and right.
2. the thing maschine missed is the way it zooms, its not smooth, you spin the knob too fast and you zoom in too damn far and they force you to hold shift to slow the zoom. mpc-r needs to have a nice linear zoom knob, not to fast, not to slow (maybe user option to set default speed)
3. maschine missed how the window focuses on the sample.........if you have a long sample and adjust the start point it doesnt automatically focus the window on the marker, you have to pan right or left to get it back into focus forcing you to use both knobs. so the way the knobs zoom, you need to still keep focus on the sample unless you purposely pan left or right.
4.in the editor itself, it would be nice to have a time cursor that moves while the pad is being pressed so you can see where its playing.
5.multiple sample start/end point undo's nothing worse than accidently moving a start point then realizing it was the wrong pad or sample. need to be able to undo because sometimes where that start point is effects the feel of the beat.
6.sample markers. would like to be able to click on the sample and add a marker, these would just be markers, then later they could be used to slice the sample, or drag a marker to a pad and auto assign the sample (non destructively) with the start point of the sample set to the marker.........or used for snapping the start or end points to the markers. sort of like a combination between the way maschine handles samples and jjos. non destructively, knobs dedicated to start and end points, but with markers that could be used to set the start and end points or just markers for reference later.
7.non destructive editing and destructive editing (all classic destructive mpc sample editing).
8.control over left and right channels - like, lets just hear the left channel, or being able to drag the left channel to a new pad and create a new sample
9.Time stretch by dragging sample to markers. or setting desired bpm. maybe some kind of ableton timestretch features.
10. selection to new pad, select an area, drag it to a new pad.

PROGRAM EDITING
1.dedicated knobs to the main pgm parameters: tuning, volume, pan, envelope, filter. Got to be able to turn the tune knobs while banging on the pads.
2.bulk pad editing. selecting multiple pads and editing them all at once. like say i have a drum kit with 16 pads filled, but i want to tune 3 of those pads, id like to select those threee, twist the dedicated tune knobs and adjust the tuning. mascine forces you to do it pad by pad or by group, not by selected pads. (annoying as ****)
3.global PROGRAM settings, like polyphony, tuning, adding vst's/effects
4.render pad, or track with all its parameters applied.
5.drag and drop samples from desktop to pads.
6.copy pad/duplicate pad non destructively or destructively

FILE MANAGEMENT
1.preview samples in browser by pressing a button, and playing sequencer and pressing pads at same time.
2.time bar on sample preview currently selected sample in browser. just like a real audio player built into the sample browser, so you can preview a sample, skip to the middle of it if its long, and see if it should be dragged to a pad.
3.drag all file types to software from desktop, like dragging midi file to sequencer, or dragging a pgm to a track.
4.sample drag and drop accross programs

FL STUDIO and Ableton Live do all those very well. You can't get any more freedom than FL STUDIO, and if the MPC Studio had all the features you're talking about, then it'd be perfect if all goes smoothly. Ableton Live displays their vsts and sample clips all on their left menu, enabling users to click and drop any vst into a single pad of their 'IMPULSE' drum plug in.

which leads me into talking about the bolded points on top:
1. ability to assign a single vst (or multiple vst) to a single pad. a great example would be araabmuzik playing skrillex - cinema live. each one of those gritty synth would be a pre-automated sound generated from a VST (like MASSIVE, Sylenth1, Tal-, etc). To my knowledge, the 1.4 only let's users use VST only on a separate track.
2. ability to chain 3rd party plugins and FX behind that VST, which is again, assigned to that single pad.[/b]

An example would be propellerhead reason's monsterous chaining of plugins, but should have a software layout like ableton live... within a single pad. Which means, program a whole new section on the software display screen to show the chaining.

This wouldn't require an extra knob the hardware, just maybe 2 more screens on the hardware to flip through.

-------

3rd party plugin modulations should be manually linked by the user to their choice of the MPC hardware knobs.

Knowing that Native Instruments pushes their KOMPLETE elements and alot of people have their plugins.. with FM8, MASSIVE (hugely popular), etc.. Others like WOW filters, Tal- plugins, sylenth, and all the plugins that future music magazine listed on their top 10 VSTs. The MPC Software would be less daunting if it DID NOT auto-link ALL the parameters. OSC-1, OSC-2, OSC PAR, abbreviations of modulations that normal people wouldnt use or understand are currently automatically linked to be controlled by the hardware knobs.

3rd party plugin modulations should be manually linked by the user to their choice of the MPC hardware knobs.
By DSTR / deStar Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 pm
In Song Mode, being able to highlight the "Step" column on the hardware for fast scrolling with the Data Wheel through the Sequences playlist.

On the MPC 1000, that was possible. But seems like on the Ren, you need to go in the Sequence column and go up and down one Sequence at a time with the Cursor buttons (which is slow when you have lots of Sequences...).
By DSTR / deStar Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm
I've been repeating this since the beginning: in Sample Edit, please ask the user if he/she wants to overwrite or create a new sample from the time stretched version of a sample.

The Renaissance seems to apply the time stretch to the sample without asking the user if he/she wants to overwrite it or create a new sample, which forces the user to manually copy the sample (with another name) BEFORE applying the time stretch.

If I understand correctly, time stretch and pitch shift overwrites the original sample without giving you an option.
By DSTR / deStar Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:51 pm
In Sample Edit, being able to insert silence BEFORE the sample starts (so the sample starts later...) and being able to specify the amount of time for that silence.

(I have to do that in Audacity... Can you imagine? Audacity is FREE. MPC is $1500.)
Last edited by DSTR / deStar on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DSTR / deStar Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm
Include a ByPass button in each of the Effects GUI windows.
By DSTR / deStar Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:23 pm
When opening an existing Project, the Project should open on the Sequence and the Song that were worked on when the Project was saved (like on the MPC 1000).
By mikecevaz Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:27 am

#1 would require programming a new pop-up window, or a built-in section somewhere on the software screen. this would share the same concept as ableton live or propellerhead reason's FX and VST rack method.

#2 would require the ability to choose (click, drag, and drop) a VST from the left menu. it would open up & attract alot more artists who want to design their own sounds with a synth (custom-designed, custom-automated, etc) and launch that sound with a tap of a pad. Currently, VST is available to be used on a separate track; however, I can't find a way to assign it to a single pad only.

If #2 does not exist, then we would have to:
a. record the sound, get it a name (takes 2 minutes)
b. edit it (takes 2 minutes)