MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Blue Haze Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:34 pm
cyrus wrote:
K A G E wrote:Vintage mode should be accessed from the screen. Having dedicated buttons is not necessary. Replace them with the other four pads banks or something a little more useful.

good point, i wonder what thier reasoning is? i mean, i know its a main feature or selling point of the mpc ren (feature that might seperate it from the mpc studio), but is it neccesary to be on the controller? im sure all of us could find several things to use those buttons for/and or ability for them to slim the controller down a bit.

I actually like it as a dedicated button coming from a 3k, 4k, and also maschine. I think it will be useful as an A,B, and C comparison. Plus a controller with a dedicated surface is a dream come true over a pot and scroll simplicity I want on it. I believe it would work like a bit function of 12, 16, and 24 bit over a program kit.
By DJ Hellfire Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:16 pm
Blue Haze wrote:
cyrus wrote:
K A G E wrote:Vintage mode should be accessed from the screen. Having dedicated buttons is not necessary. Replace them with the other four pads banks or something a little more useful.

good point, i wonder what thier reasoning is? i mean, i know its a main feature or selling point of the mpc ren (feature that might seperate it from the mpc studio), but is it neccesary to be on the controller? im sure all of us could find several things to use those buttons for/and or ability for them to slim the controller down a bit.

I actually like it as a dedicated button coming from a 3k, 4k, and also maschine. I think it will be useful as an A,B, and C comparison. Plus a controller with a dedicated surface is a dream come true over a pot and scroll simplicity I want on it. I believe it would work like a bit function of 12, 16, and 24 bit over a program kit.

The only issue I see with it as a dedicated button is it seems like it will apply it to the entire project instead of just individual sounds.
By Blue Haze Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:06 pm
Of course I would want the dedicated button to act as global A, B and C mode per program if I was going after the classic 3K, 60 and other for convience. But remember in the detailed video with the Brit reporter we can assign the 3k, 60, and future SP1200 modes per pad and pad zone in the software so no biggie.

I prefer the dedicated button on the Ren just as it is per program and master outputs. And just dial in the pad settings in the programs and mixer pages.
By Coz Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 am
Waveform editing on the controller.

From an ergonomic standpoint, not everyone is able to have a big monitor squarely in front of the Ren, so are Akai expecting us to sideline our daw controllers, trackpads/mouse and qwerty keyboards to make the 'new' outdated method more palatable?

The Ren might have a low profile but it has a bigger footprint than the 5k (so it's not exactly a small unit), and won't necessarily just slot perfectly into people's setups.

JJ's chopping and Trim mode functions would be abysmal if we were forced to work numerically, and part of the speed is the focus on the waveforms on the lcd with two hands on the MP. A major part of that workflow would be lost if we have to keep looking at a computer screen.
By ansiaaa Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:56 am
Coz wrote:Waveform editing on the controller.

From an ergonomic standpoint, not everyone is able to have a big monitor squarely in front of the Ren, so are Akai expecting us to sideline our daw controllers, trackpads/mouse and qwerty keyboards to make the 'new' outdated method more palatable?

The Ren might have a low profile but it has a bigger footprint than the 5k (so it's not exactly a small unit), and won't necessarily just slot perfectly into people's setups.

JJ's chopping and Trim mode functions would be abysmal if we were forced to work numerically, and part of the speed is the focus on the waveforms on the lcd with two hands on the MP. A major part of that workflow would be lost if we have to keep looking at a computer screen.

I couldn't have said it better... I've already got enough stuff in front of my computer, and even if I'm already watching the comp screen because I'm using some other software in sync with the Ren, it would be very useful to have everything going on on the MPC own lcd screen.

the lack of an audiowave on the lcd panel is quite a deal breaker to me. the thing I love the most about the MPC is how I can edit samples on it. +10 points if I can do it as I'm used with JJOS
By ansiaaa Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 pm
Blue Haze wrote:Did I miss something? Who said that the Ren has no waveform editing on the hardware?

it has been said here in the forum and in some NAMM videos that the waveform will be displayed on the computer screen while you'll have the MPC3000 numeric editing on the onboard lcd

quoting xparis001 from this thread viewtopic.php?f=36&t=151703 :

"Actually, this was one of our biggest requests. MPC3000 users wanted the numbers. they want to be able to edit the old school way, and everyone agreed it was important to do it both ways. so we do numbers on the LCD, waveforms on the big screen."
By ceasi Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:25 pm
I just hope that it has the mpc2kxl emulation added sooner than later.
By JAH Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 am
ansiaaa wrote:
Blue Haze wrote:Did I miss something? Who said that the Ren has no waveform editing on the hardware?

it has been said here in the forum and in some NAMM videos that the waveform will be displayed on the computer screen while you'll have the MPC3000 numeric editing on the onboard lcd

"Actually, this was one of our biggest requests. MPC3000 users wanted the numbers. they want to be able to edit the old school way, and everyone agreed it was important to do it both ways. so we do numbers on the LCD, waveforms on the big screen."

Waveform editing is now on the MPC Ren's LCD as well as your computer monitor.

Additional feature requests forum members have discussed:
1. An option to set the Ren to various ppqn settings (24, 28, 96, etc)
2. MPC 4000 modulation matrix
3. Classic MPC MIDI Event List Editor (Step Edit)
4. Drag-n-drop MIDI/Audio from Ren to DAW
By xparis001 Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 pm
ansiaaa wrote:

and now you can quote me saying that we now have waveform editing on the screen, mostly due to the input from forum members here. :)
By JAH Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:36 pm
Back from commericial break........

1. Import Patch Scripts (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=154829)
2. Ability to choose any 3rd party Sample Editor (similar to the MPC 4000 and Aksys)
3. Integrate 3rd party controllers. It would be great if the MPC Ren had a built in list of supported 3rd party controllers. Then if you connect a 3rd party controller and select its preset, certain parameters of the MPC Ren will be automapped to the controller.