MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:17 pm
cyrus wrote:
Blue Haze wrote:8. Bring back simultaneous pads over 4 zone layering I like the separate envelopes and filtering.

me too. only thing i could think of better is if each layer had its own envelope/filter settings. but even then, i would still like simlt pad.

but I do think we should get more than 4 layers, maschine can do it, and if there is added support to import other formats, it might be neccesary

I never really cared for the SIMULT feature. I always like to shift the timing of my drum layers just a nudge from the original sample it's layering. This makes them sound more full, IMO. Having them trigger at the same time sometimes causes them to phase out a bit and sound much thinner. But yeah, having the separate parameters is much better if I were to use it!
By rookie Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:54 pm
Sp1200 mode like bpm. drag mixer to seperate window(monitor).copy and paste track . song mode and sequence mode.rewire into external sequencer. up to 8 drum layers like k o n g . programmable mutes.automation .
By JAH Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:43 pm
cyrus wrote:
Blue Haze wrote:8. Bring back simultaneous pads over 4 zone layering I like the separate envelopes and filtering.

me too. only thing i could think of better is if each layer had its own envelope/filter settings. but even then, i would still like simlt pad.

but I do think we should get more than 4 layers, maschine can do it, and if there is added support to import other formats, it might be neccesary

Maschine does not have pad layering in the traditional sense of quickly assigning multiple samples to a pad. Maschine has a keygroup editor that allow you to create keygroups and stack the keygroups to create layers. This is a more tedious process but workable. But the MPC 5000 and 4000 has keygroups which work the exact same way. MPC Ren supports keygroups as well so you will have multiple ways to accomplish this.
By cyrus Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:58 am
JAH wrote:
cyrus wrote:

Maschine does not have pad layering in the traditional sense of quickly assigning multiple samples to a pad. Maschine has a keygroup editor that allow you to create keygroups and stack the keygroups to create layers. This is a more tedious process but workable. But the MPC 5000 and 4000 has keygroups which work the exact same way. MPC Ren supports keygroups as well so you will have multiple ways to accomplish this.

yeah, agreed it is tedious for drums. for keyboard samples you actually want to spread accross the keys, it aint bad although i wish there was some kind of tabs or way to select the sample , it gets wierd when you have lots of samples and they overlap. I'm thinking like little tiny markers sticking out the top where the keygroup starts.

But for drums, good old layering would be nice, it would be nice if it worked something like this:

1.drag drum to pad, gets assigned
2.drag multiple drums to 1 pad, they all get assigned, but in layers (of course, reordering the layers should be simple drag and drop)
3.drag multiple drums to pgm, they get auto mappped to thier own pads
4.drag 1 drum to pad, go grab another drum, drag it to same pad, it replaces current drum
5.drag 1 drum to pad, go grab another drum, drag it to same pad, hold down shift, adds drum as a layer-that way you dont have to have a layer selected - although not sure how the screen will look, maybe its just as easy to drag to layer, not sure :)

for simult pad, it would be nice to press a pad, click simult window/option then hit the pad(s) you want to simult with options for master/slave
By JAH Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:12 am
cyrus wrote:yeah, agreed it is tedious for drums. for keyboard samples you actually want to spread accross the keys, it aint bad although i wish there was some kind of tabs or way to select the sample , it gets wierd when you have lots of samples and they overlap. I'm thinking like little tiny markers sticking out the top where the keygroup starts.

But for drums, good old layering would be nice, it would be nice if it worked something like this:

1.drag drum to pad, gets assigned
2.drag multiple drums to 1 pad, they all get assigned, but in layers (of course, reordering the layers should be simple drag and drop)
3.drag multiple drums to pgm, they get auto mappped to thier own pads
4.drag 1 drum to pad, go grab another drum, drag it to same pad, it replaces current drum
5.drag 1 drum to pad, go grab another drum, drag it to same pad, hold down shift, adds drum as a layer-that way you dont have to have a layer selected - although not sure how the screen will look, maybe its just as easy to drag to layer, not sure :)

for simult pad, it would be nice to press a pad, click simult window/option then hit the pad(s) you want to simult with options for master/slave

cyrus, you are on point with these. All great suggestions in my opinion.
By JAH Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 am
The MPC Ren Namm footage confirms:
1. Browse hard drive from controller
2. SIMULT pads
3. Revised Next Sequence Mode
4. Auto Map 96 VST parameters
5. Support for legacy MPC formats

And a commitment to listen to more user feature requests....
By b.read Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:34 am
Is it too late for them to add eight 1/4" outs and make it standalone capable as well? Yeah? Maybe?

Thought so... :lol:
By JAH Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:53 am
Probably not too late to add support for 3rd party sound cards so you can have extensive audio I/O.
By b.read Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:59 am
That's a no brainer to me....fingers crossed. :D
By padlock Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 am
all great comments..

i would like to see 4 layers aswell as simult.. 4 layers is apart of my workflow..
also how could they not have? loading up my 2500 projects just would not work, so yeh..

alt/reverse looping is a must! big part of my use of extending sampled notes and is my favorite effect on samples in itself.

as stated in one of the videos to the rep.. adjustable velocity curves and setting for each pad, already in 2500 jj.

JAH wrote:Probably not too late to add support for 3rd party sound cards so you can have extensive audio I/O.

good idea..

and also it would be ideal to introduce usb3 into the hardware list. the product is not finalized yet, i believe the one shown in vids is still a prototype as such.

i mean how quickly did usb1 go out of fashion, that was ridiculous! even some of my non music friends are like 'wow, really. thats messed up'
By K A G E Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 am
Vintage mode should be accessed from the screen. Having dedicated buttons is not necessary. Replace them with the other four pads banks or something a little more useful.
By Retrofreak Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:15 am
1. Multitasking

The ability to browse, load, edit, sample, switch presets (whilst your beat is still playing), without experiencing glitches, slow down, loss of audio etc.

The above would streamline workflow and make software feel like hardware imo.

2. VST Preset Program change

The ability to switch all VST presets with the numeric keypad and arrow keys.

I absolutely detest pointing and clicking a mouse over "Vst preset up and down" in order to switch presets, this should be assignable to buttons, making the software feel more like a sound module.

3. No iLoks or other USB dongles

I do not like the concept of having iLok dongles protruding out the side of my Macbook Pro..Die iLok..DIE!!

4. Plugin browser catogories

The ability to group all similar sounds from different plugins manufactures, so you can browse/search "synth bass" etc and only those types will show up.

5. Classic Akai MPC and S Series sampler features as modelled plugins e.g.

a. S950 variable bit sampler and filter mode.
b. S1000 sine wave tone and time stretch
c. MPC 2000/XL, S5000 and Z-Series Efx card plugins
d. MPC 60/3000 gain switch plugin
By cyrus Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 pm
Retrofreak wrote:5. Classic Akai MPC and S Series sampler features as modelled plugins e.g.

a. S950 variable bit sampler and filter mode.
b. S1000 sine wave tone and time stretch
c. MPC 2000/XL, S5000 and Z-Series Efx card plugins
d. MPC 60/3000 gain switch plugin

+1 to that! thats a good idea right threre.

Remember that akai s series timestretch vst/app that came around? to get the grainyness of those old school sampler timestretch?

I think offering a nice bundle of modelled plugins and base effects and maybe some very well thoughtout & built effects w/presets would be nice.
By cyrus Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 pm
K A G E wrote:Vintage mode should be accessed from the screen. Having dedicated buttons is not necessary. Replace them with the other four pads banks or something a little more useful.

good point, i wonder what thier reasoning is? i mean, i know its a main feature or selling point of the mpc ren (feature that might seperate it from the mpc studio), but is it neccesary to be on the controller? im sure all of us could find several things to use those buttons for/and or ability for them to slim the controller down a bit.
By cyrus Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 pm
someone else mentioned having the synth section form the mpc5000 built in. i like that idea. like having some plugins dedicated to bass/synth stuff. wouldn't it be nice if they could say "we have a moog built in" !!! team up with moog, or similar vst synth/bass maker and bundle that shit with it!

just like they are doing with the timestretch stuff and izotope, partner with another company and add some compressors,delays,instruments, etc.