MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.

What form of copy protection do you prefer?

11%
11%
42%
2%
34%
By dazastah Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:01 pm
software protection only penalises those who pay for it..
Don Blake wrote:What I meant is why would anybody want to use the software when there are so many better options out there. If I was using an mpd and wanted to make a beat I'd use ableton or even fruity loops is much more versatile than the mpc software.
Other than the way it works with the hardware and workflow there is nothing that other software can't do.
This is exactly why they should make the software available for free. They should only sell the hardware and let user reference sell the unit instead of having a glamorous marketing budget.. more money to the programmers and coders to update/squash bugs and add features so that the hardware software combo is what they make money on. Too me it seems the only thing that can be fixed is the software. So all resources should be concentrating on that. What Nym has mentioned about Reaper is such a good example of how software should be sold. I used reaper for a about two weeks and then i bought a licence. I use it on about 2 computers, sometimes when i'm i need to edit/bouce something for someone on another computer, i can access my dropbox backup on another computer and run/install reaper on that computer... . so i can use reaper anywhere... Having access to it anywhere means i can show others anywhere how to use it. It's really easy for me to sell it.. i mastered a project for a client, and there was a issue with one of the tracks but I left to go on holiday. I had access to internet where i was and was able to make the slight change and rebounce the track for them and upload it.. Reaper wasnt installed on the system but i could easily install it on there.. It was only a evaluation install, but it wasn't crippled.. I was able to redeliver the track within 2hours from when i checked my email. That, imho is professional software. I can do almost this same procedure with a crack copy of cubase(uploaded to dropbox).. But with a lisenced version no, unless i bring the dongle. Copy protection is bad for business..
By comtox Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:22 pm
Retrofreak wrote:[i]Why would I want the Studio to be used as another expensive dongle?

LMAO, True... Sad but so true... It has never seen before.

1 - Talking about paid update is a Heresy regarding the youth and the actual weakness of the MPC soft.

2- Four authorizations ? CROOKS MODE !
Imagine that I installed the REN first on my desktop in my home-studio. I probably will install it on a laptop for performing live with a band. Already 2 installs.
Then, if i reinstall or change my OS, it makes 3. God, my laptop is broken 4.... Game Over... Buy a new REN ?
A 1000$ "pro" tool, should be used lifetime not just for 4 installations, that's non-sense.

If I had knew all this "crook-style" stuffs behind Nukai. I had never bought this gear, just a MPC2500, more fun and with no irritating limitations.

Yes, there are limitations and not smalls one.
By comtox Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm
dazastah wrote:This is exactly why they should make the software available for free.

Not Free but a Paid License ! Then more money goes to devs team to update the software and perfect it .

I paid 1000$ for the hardware... Please tell me again "MPC software" will become a shareware. And I'll take a shotgun and a plane.

Cracked version rarely updated, C'mon guys, someone pleased with a cracked software will buy the license if updates are missing, even 1 or 2 years after.

It's like downloading a 128kbps ripped CD and while listening to it, you think " OmG, i really want to pay the artist for that and get the original packaging."

My POV...
By tapedeck Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:00 pm
i believe it is a total waste of time and energy trying to stop a phenomenon (copying digital information) that is so extremely powerful and unstoppable.

the value for akai should be in the hardware and the integration. there is too much capable and innovative software being sold for cheap or given away for free to even try to compete in that arena.

copy protection is worthless. trying to coerce non-paying customers and then restrict actual paying customers is an out-dated model that will not last and i bid it good riddance. :mrgreen:
By Retrofreak Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 pm
The more people using the REN software the better imo...just get them on the come back.

Surely Akai could unshackle the software a tad and simply charge for major upgrades, hardware and Akai specific content?.

What was a minor irritation for me is slowly becoming a major pain!

By comtox Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm
fobedafied wrote:
comtox wrote:If I had knew all this "crook-style" stuffs behind Nukai. I had never bought this gear

in my humble opinion the writing has been on the wall since day one... :wink: :nod:

Thanks for trolling My friend, but i was a bit upset @work... I really think The Ren do as or more than a lot of classic MPC.

But I got projects to work on with a band and some features are still missing, just like a simple zoom in sample editor. That's so fun... It's the First Time I Hate Preemo.. lol
By comtox Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:45 pm
Bad Protections,just annoy the users.
Bad Watermarks, just leak personal infos when it is stolen.
We don't believe them.
- WE BELiEVE US - :mrgreen:
By dtaa pla muk Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 pm
dazastah wrote:I used reaper for a about two weeks and then i bought a licence. I use it on about 2 computers, sometimes when i'm i need to edit/bouce something for someone on another computer, i can access my dropbox backup on another computer and run/install reaper on that computer... . so i can use reaper anywhere... Having access to it anywhere means i can show others anywhere how to use it. It's really easy for me to sell it.. i mastered a project for a client, and there was a issue with one of the tracks but I left to go on holiday. I had access to internet where i was and was able to make the slight change and rebounce the track for them and upload it.. Reaper wasnt installed on the system but i could easily install it on there.. It was only a evaluation install, but it wasn't crippled.. I was able to redeliver the track within 2hours from when i checked my email. That, imho is professional software. I can do almost this same procedure with a crack copy of cubase(uploaded to dropbox).. But with a lisenced version no, unless i bring the dongle. Copy protection is bad for business..

everyone, please read this three times and pressure AKAI to adopt this model.
software: uncrippled, unexpiring demo with a 10 second nag screen.

there is zero reason not to do this. NO downsides. you increase your user base dramatically, you give them a fair shake, and you give them a fair price. note the image i posted. this user has used the hell out of REAPER - illegally, just like the widely available cracked software, and nobody gives a damn. the difference is that Cockos REAPER enjoys a vocal and supportive community. AKAI, aren't you sick of being hated??

get with the times.
By Coz Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm
Nym wrote:there is zero reason not to do this.

The only issue I can think of is people using the legacy import feature with no desire to ever buy the Ren. Admittedly this feature is severely gimped at this stage though.
By dtaa pla muk Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:34 pm
honestly, it will remain somewhat gimped, to no fault of the devs. 100% legacy support is virtually impossible. they'll never model the exact pgm structure of the 4000, let alone the various JJos's.

we don't even know if the REN will implement full envelopes

however - if people are using this solely for a one off feature, akai still has nothing to lose. such a person would never have bought a REN anyway. however, if they're given an uncrippled demo to use, they may buy into the MPC software just to support it. many many people use REAPER as a simple audio swiss army knife and buy a license anyway.
By lilinguini Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 am
Definitely need the MPC software to work without the controller! its probably a money isue... so if Akai really is that scared that people will only use the software? that doesn't show of much convidence in their hardware? They could at least make a USB dongle if they are really that money hungry?

Frankly ? I don't even understand why they made it this way in the first place? pleaseeeeeee unlock or start selling a dongle