MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.

What form of copy protection do you prefer?

11%
11%
42%
2%
34%
By Metatron72 Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:NI no computer amount limit.

3 maximum on Maschine, 2 on Komplete and everything else. You can not run the 2 at the same time either unless you disable your internet so Service Center can't run. They remotely uninstalled my .dll files when I accidentally had my PC laptop and Mac running at the same time. It took me the whole afternoon to realize what happened.

Anyway just wanted to clarify NI's policy. Absolutely the Ren/Studio controllers themselves should not be the dongle and the software should run without the controller.
By JAH Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:
JAH wrote:
DJ Hellfire wrote:I wouldn't want the iLok thing though. I don't always take it with me everywhere I take my laptop.

But there are multiple DAWs and tons of plugins that you can't use without an iLock. How do you (if applicable) use these products on your laptop when you are out and about?

I don't usually use my daw on the road that much. If I know I will need to use it, I will bring my iLok. Most of my plugins use password authorizations anyway. Honestly, I really don't see what the big deal is here. NI doesn't seem to be phased by their allowance to use the software freely without a controller, no iLok, and no computer amount limit. Maschine seems to be doing quite well on sales.

The difference is that Akai is a hardware company first and foremost. And this is a new direction for them which they have invested plenty of time and resources. If it was my business, I will probably do whatever it takes to see a return on my investment. In my opinion, I don't see Akai getting rid of all the measures they have in place....4 computer limit, online authorization, and software tied to hardware.

USB key is the best compromise..Avid, Yamaha/Steinberg does it. Waves stop requiring the use of an iLock but still requires your computer connected to the internet to authorize your plugins. You will have to do this for any computer you want to use those plugins. Using an iLock, you can avoid doing this.
By Retrofreak Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:21 am
We're not talking about using the software to make complete compositions. But let's just say me and you are collabing on a track both using the Ren. I'm on the road with my laptop and you send me a project to check out. I can't even listen to it in the software until I get home and plug the unit in. Or If I'm on the road and I wanna bounce a rough draft of a beat for an artist real quick, I can't even listen to the project to make sure everything is good enough to send out. Maybe I want to just turn a track down or put the sequences in song mode or not include a sequence at all. Little **** like that where you don't need the controller. There's no reason I should not be able to hear my work if the controller is unplugged.

By toxicc Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 am
My idea of disabling the square pads from being clicked instead of disabling the sound would work in that situation. Or better, disable the record and overdub buttons. And add a checkbox option to the 'your mpc hardware could not be found' to not show that message again.
By Metatron72 Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09 pm
Maybe he meant the Studio is more backpack friendly.

Bottom line if an serial/online activation has already been squared up and the unlock is written to the registry (Windows) or a .plist file (OS X) then it's ridiculous that the hardware must be plugged in to hear audio.
By dtaa pla muk Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 pm
Don Blake wrote:What I want to know is who the hell in their right mind would use the ren software if they didn't have a ren?

anybody (masochist?) with a midi controller. see my post on the first page. i'm beginning to think that end users deserve the sh!tty copy protection they get the way you support it, from akai and from other software manufacturers
By Dee-J Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:41 am
Metatron72 wrote:Maybe he meant the Studio is more backpack friendly.

Bottom line if an serial/online activation has already been squared up and the unlock is written to the registry (Windows) or a .plist file (OS X) then it's ridiculous that the hardware must be plugged in to hear audio.

Yeah....that's what I meant......The studio is the lightweight portable answer.
By DJ Hellfire Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 am
Dee-J wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:Maybe he meant the Studio is more backpack friendly.

But again, we aren't trying to make beats on the road. Just simply edit, playback, email projects. That's it! You are looking too far into it! If I want to email a project to you for a collab, and I just want to take a quick listen and maybe make a few volume adjustments or delete some sounds to make the zip file smaller, I don't want to have to carry around my hardware just to be able to do this simple task, not even a Studio.
By Don Blake Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 pm
Nym wrote:
Don Blake wrote:What I want to know is who the hell in their right mind would use the ren software if they didn't have a ren?

anybody (masochist?) with a midi controller. see my post on the first page. i'm beginning to think that end users deserve the sh!tty copy protection they get the way you support it, from akai and from other software manufacturers

What I meant is why would anybody want to use the software when there are so many better options out there. If I was using an mpd and wanted to make a beat I'd use ableton or even fruity loops is much more versatile than the mpc software.
Other than the way it works with the hardware and workflow there is nothing that other software can't do.
By Retrofreak Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm
Don Blake wrote:
Nym wrote:

What I meant is why would anybody want to use the software when there are so many better options out there. If I was using an mpd and wanted to make a beat I'd use ableton or even fruity loops is much more versatile than the mpc software.
Other than the way it works with the hardware and workflow there is nothing that other software can't do.

I prefer the MPC sequencer and FL Studio doesn't fully work on a MAC.

Plus most drum program alternatives like Guru,BPM, Maschine are simply trying to emulate the MPC and can all run standalone, so it seems foolish that Akai have not added this basic functionality.
Last edited by Retrofreak on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Retrofreak Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:04 pm

But again, we aren't trying to make beats on the road. Just simply edit, playback, email projects. That's it! You are looking too far into it! If I want to email a project to you for a collab, and I just want to take a quick listen and maybe make a few volume adjustments or delete some sounds to make the zip file smaller, I don't want to have to carry around my hardware just to be able to do this simple task, not even a Studio.

^^^This

Why would I want the Studio to be used as another expensive dongle?