MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Mike Boogie Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm
Looks like 1.4 will be release fairly soon so...

I have been going over the Ren/Studio argument the whole time since the advent of the software and have come up with a request that if could make the Ren/Studio an EVEN BIGGER game changer. (I hate that cliché)

I few days ago I was pondering a timestretch algorithm for keygroup programs with key-spanning.

Basically, in the newer MPC's (4k, 1k+2.5k w/JJ, 5k) have keygroups that allow you to lay a sample over a span much wider than ordinary 16 levels. (possibly the whole 61 or 88 key span) But, there is a side-effect... The sample will pitch up higher as you move up the keys (C1-C5) but the length of the sample will change, therefore causing a problem for instrument chords. (Piano, horns, etc.)

Of course you can multi-sample each sound in different octaves (C1,C2,C3, etc.) but this is a time-intensive process. (BORING)

There are hardware samplers that are much older that have the ability to handle this caveat. (vari-phrase)

So I propose this request, since the timestretch in the Akai software is the kitty's titties...

Optional (vari-phrase) for keygroup toggle (I'm sure Akai will come up with a different name to trademark.)

This will allow instant faux multi-sample behavior for keygroup instruments.

Example: I can sample one note from a nice lush piano and the keygroup will pitch up and have a uniform length for playing chords.

This would be more likely and optional feature that can be flipped with a toggle in the program preferences. I figured I should suggest it since the Akai software is still being improved on day by day.

Anyone agree?
By pspsounds Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 pm
This might be what you are looking for. Try this:

1. Create a patch phrase of your loop. Once the patch phrase is created the software will add pp (Patch Phrase) at the end.

2. Create a keygroup and then add your new patch phrase. The patch phrase will play at different pitches but will play the same length.
By Dubmaudioking Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:56 pm
Mike I am with you all the way on this I owned the 3 Roland Variphrase products
And it was the best time stretching I ever experienced . This was all over 10 years ago
Please akai this would take this unit over the top I ask for Ircam timestreching at least auto bpm come akai Borrow the algorithm from ableton live lo,you seem to be friends and I agree patch phrase is cool but no real timestreching
By JAH Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 am
Wouldn't this be a Keygroup Pitchshifting instead of Time Stretching?
By Mike Boogie Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:02 am
JAH wrote:Wouldn't this be a Keygroup Pitchshifting instead of Time Stretching?

It's actually a combination of the two. :nod:
By AnSolas Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 pm
Mike Boogie wrote:Of course you can multi-sample each sound in different octaves (C1,C2,C3, etc.) but this is a time-intensive process. (BORING)

With a proper User Interface this process can be just a matter of one click.

For example:

You sample just each C key : C0 C1 C2 Cn

1.)
If there would be an option to define the keygroup width (span) mapping could be solved with one click. e.g.: 11 semitones.
The span could be even solved by using a knob, just assign all samples and tweak until each sample is at the correct position :)

2.)
Something else useful would be to be able to set the root- , hi-, low key by hitting a note on you Keyboard as it was possible in most ancient samplers as well as in Halion or Studio Ones Sample one :)

3.)
Or just sample each key and kit automap (c c# d d# e...) to spread all samples in sequence.

just brainstorming :)
By AnSolas Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm
Coz wrote:This is the only sampling technology I've seen in 10 years that looks genuinely 'next level'.

Yeah this is definitely nice to built libraries !
but before implementing something totally new,
I would be happy with: set root- / hi- lo key via midi, old but effective :)
I love mapping while being in the creative flow ;-)
By Coz Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm
AnSolas wrote:I would be happy with: set root- / hi- lo key via midi, old but effective :)

The old ways work fine. :nod:

Your other suggestions are also good. Number 3 would be a big time saver.
By e9000k Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm
I get the OP feature request, think the idea is cool not sure how good the results will sound though.. Its pitch and timestretch combined across a keyrange. How musical will the result be? Somone would have to demonstrate
By Mike Boogie Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:41 pm
AnSolas wrote:With a proper User Interface this process can be just a matter of one click.

This is exactly why the Ren would be a perfect candidate for this idea. There is technically no hardware restriction to get in the way of improvements. Plus, the software is, in a sense, modular so a feature like this can be implemented without much hassle.

The math is there.... somebody (Akai) just has to do it!

e9000k wrote:I get the OP feature request, think the idea is cool not sure how good the results will sound though.. Its pitch and time-stretch combined across a keyrange. How musical will the result be? Someone would have to demonstrate

I'm aware that time-stretch/pitch-shift formant on the Ren is better than any hardware MPC (similar to Abelton IIRC) so degradation shouldn't be too big of an issue.
By AnSolas Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm
Mike Boogie wrote:
AnSolas wrote:With a proper User Interface this process can be just a matter of one click.

This is exactly why the Ren would be a perfect candidate for this idea. There is technically no hardware restriction to get in the way of improvements. Plus, the software is, in a sense, modular so a feature like this can be implemented without much hassle.

The math is there.... somebody (Akai) just has to do it!

e9000k wrote:I get the OP feature request, think the idea is cool not sure how good the results will sound though.. Its pitch and time-stretch combined across a keyrange. How musical will the result be? Someone would have to demonstrate

I'm aware that time-stretch/pitch-shift formant on the Ren is better than any hardware MPC (similar to Abelton IIRC) so degradation shouldn't be too big of an issue.

I totally agree to anything !

but I also would love to see the essentials first ;)