MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By apricotandpearjam Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:32 pm
just a couple of things i think the MPC needs.

1. each track has a timing control 'setting' so you can see what has been applied to those midi notes... also you can copy timing settings and paste onto other tracks.

2. the ability to simply turn timing control on/off from the main window. so maybe a double tap on the t.c greys it out and another double tap turns it back on.

for workflow and live performance these would both be incredibly useful.
By MaZe Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 pm
apricotandpearjam wrote:just a couple of things i think the MPC needs.

1. each track has a timing control 'setting' so you can see what has been applied to those midi notes... also you can copy timing settings and paste onto other tracks.

2. the ability to simply turn timing control on/off from the main window. so maybe a double tap on the t.c greys it out and another double tap turns it back on.

for workflow and live performance these would both be incredibly useful.

I think this belongs in the features suggestion post. I've been dumping all of mine in there. And YES, I've wanted a per track TC setting so I could keep track of my individual TC/Swing settings for over a decade (dating back to my days with the 2000xl). I was hoping the Ren would have this too. The "M" word has this on a per SOUND, GROUP, and MASTER basis. One of the better features that it has.

Also, the lack of step edit in the Ren makes it even harder to keep track of TC/Swing/Notes.
By MaZe Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:45 pm
apricotandpearjam wrote:yea i hear ya.

we need this.

ive put it in the feature suggestions..

we also REALLY need 'nudge' as a function for selected midi notes on a track...

You definitely have/had a Maschine. I can see it in your suggestions!
By MaZe Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:54 pm
I hate to compare the two as well, but you almost have to. 99% of my music making products dating back to 2004 have been Akai made from MPCs, to samplers, and more so it pains me to talk about another product in the same breath. Calling a spade a spade though, the Ren has a LONG way to get to the basic MPC level and an even LONGER way to go to get to the bells and whistles that are on Maschine's level. That's just facts. As someone said in another thread, if Maschine incorporated an MPC like sequencing option, it would pretty much kill off a TON of the Ren's thunder. I personally bought the Ren because I love the MPC sequencer and workflow but it is painfully lacking in some of the most basic areas and thus, I don't see it getting all of the bells and whistles that Maschine has anytime soon. And honestly, it really shouldn't as the basics should come first. I guess we all have to decide whether or not we are going to be in this for the long haul. Me personally, I want to make music right now and have fun doing it so my Ren is in a box in the corner.
Last edited by MaZe on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By apricotandpearjam Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm
yea you said it well MaZe...

i also would be using maschine if it had the sequencing workflow of the MPC.

the MPC just makes sense to me, maschine doesnt.

BUT... it has a long way to go before it has everything else that maschine has.

the renaissance is a skeleton, maschine is a well built sexy lady, but with not a lot of intuition.

the renaissance now needs to learn how to be a sexy lady...
By MaZe Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:44 pm
apricotandpearjam wrote:yea you said it well MaZe...

i also would be using maschine if it had the sequencing workflow of the MPC.

the MPC just makes sense to me, maschine doesnt.

BUT... it has a long way to go before it has everything else that maschine has.

the renaissance is a skeleton, maschine is a well built sexy lady, but with not a lot of intuition.

the renaissance now needs to learn how to be a sexy lady...

100% agreed. Coming from an MPC background, the Maschine's sequencer, though I understand it very well, isn't great, at all. The whole pattern/group/arranger situation is clunky. But as we agree, the Ren has a LONG way to go, and I mean years, before it gets to the level of Maschine in terms of bells and whistles. I just picked up the Maschine about a month ago so I avoided it's early software years which I heard were pretty bad as well. Thing is, by the time the Ren catches up to where it needs to be on a very basic level, the Maschine will probably be years ahead once again. And again, I HATE to compare the two but these are just facts. Had the Ren come out the gate with all of the necessary BASIC features of an MPC, we wouldn't even be having this conversation as we'd be looking for the "sexy" in 1.4 and not the basic. The Maschine is at 1.8 and is definitely "sexy". It took some years to get there. The Ren is going to be at 1.4 very soon and hopefully it will feature the basics. I don't see the Ren getting the "sexy" for years. And then, you get to the situation where the new Akai has pretty much sullied their reputation in the eyes of many consumers through the constant dropping/discontinuation of unfinished products, i.e. the 5000. We can only hope, and I truly hope, that Akai actually continues to support the Ren and doesn't drop it as they have their most recent offerings. If history is the best predictor of the future though...well, we'll see. As I see it now, this is basically their last chance.
By JAH Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 am
MaZe wrote:But as we agree, the Ren has a LONG way to go, and I mean years, before it gets to the level of Maschine in terms of bells and whistles.

The Ren is a sampler. While NI creates great sample libraries for Maschine, you can use them in any product you choose. Bells and whistles aren't my cup of tea, but you can certainly load these Maschine sounds into the Ren if you choose to.
By comtox Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 pm
JAH wrote:you can certainly load these Maschine sounds into the Ren if you choose to.
:mrgreen: That's sure :) Just put the machine VST plugin in a plugin slot of the ren ! I haven't maschine but if I had it, I would try, this is a sick idea ^^
By MaZe Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 am
^
i RMA'd my Maschine so you might be right. I don't even remember. The sequencer on that joint took me all the way out of my zone. I'm all 4K everything right now. Ren is in a box too. Akai has 30 days. It's still 4K over everything. Probably not even possible for the Ren to touch the 4K.
By JAH Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:18 am
MaZe wrote:^
i RMA'd my Maschine so you might be right. I don't even remember. The sequencer on that joint took me all the way out of my zone. I'm all 4K everything right now. Ren is in a box too. Akai has 30 days. It's still 4K over everything. Probably not even possible for the Ren to touch the 4K.

I'll trade you my MPC 4000 for your Ren that is sitting in a box. There is no use for us to have MPCs we barely touch.
By MaZe Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:31 pm
JAH wrote:
MaZe wrote:^

I'll trade you my MPC 4000 for your Ren that is sitting in a box. There is no use for us to have MPCs we barely touch.

I'll trade you my Ren for your MPC 3000LE since I assume you aren't touching that one either and the Ren is a far superior machine than the 3000 anyway, right?