MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By foge1 Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 pm
The 4k had a four row step sequencer. But lacked 16 controls to take advantage of it.

Would be really nice if the Ren which has 16 controls ready to take advantage of this had the 4ks step sequencer for any of the parameters available in the 16 levels section.

The 4k had so much cool stuff just lacked some realtime controls to access them.

I would definetly like to see the seq section expanded as I can't simply buy other plugins etc to improve it.

Hopefully 1.4 will see more sequencer work like realtime quantise off the 4k , note length quantise, better automation. Vsti midi output support ie for arpeggiators.

If 1.4 turns out to be mostly sample edit related improvements then hopefully the seq will get some time in 1.5.

Geoff
By labcoats Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 pm
Yeah, I would like to see al that to.
I do think some of the basic midi editing stuff will be implemented (such a note length quantise). In general though my feeling is features will be decided by the marketing department. Im not sure the 4k style 16 step Q link feature would be on the radar. But imho that is exactly the type of features they should be adding considering there are 16 knobs which are perfect for it. So damn useful. Yes it can be done with automation but the automation in the Ren is rather dire.

For me my main wishes are, which wont be on the radar:

1: Sequences unlinked from the mixer
2: The ability for real time sequences to be time linked
(ie they dont start at bar 1 when changing them in real time). They start from the point of exiting the previous sequence. I think you would like this feature to based on your music, which is very god btw. Ideal for real time arranging. The Ren is so close to nailing real time arranging better than any other hardware or plugin out there - but unless it can do the above its a billion miles away.
By foge1 Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 pm
definetly agree with you Labcoats on 1 and 2

The more akai develop the seq the better. Its the one important area to me that sets the MPC apart from Logic etc. I like to write at the keyboard not at the computer and the MPC is perfect for that.

1) I agree. I don't do any real mixing on the MPC at the moment to dodge the mixer mess, seems more a mess of design than a programming problem sure they will have to address it soon for those who do want to mix on it. I am not using it at all until they implement better automation and channel strip presets etc. its just far far behind any other DAW in that respect. :Sigh:

2) this would be great, I think alot of us MPC users prefer to play and feel our way through a track that would help that process.

I really hope they get some focus on the seq once the zoom etc is out the way, it has always been the gem of the MPC. I can live with alot of the sketchiness of the other stuff if the seq and preset browser get some attention, as a quick all tracks to stems and dump into logic sorts alot of the sketchiness.

G
By JAH Mon May 06, 2013 3:32 pm
What is note length quantize? Are you referring to the MPC 4000s Grid Matrix for drum programs which doesn't show note duration? So regardless of T/C settings, the Grid Matrix will always show a drum note filling only one square in the grid regardless of note duration?
By labcoats Mon May 06, 2013 3:56 pm
Note Length Quantise
You can match the length to 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 etc
Its basically dependent on the grid setting.
Been around since the earliest analogue sequencers.
It isnt an crucial feature for me but I have seen it requested a number
of times on the forum and for sure its useful, and can lead to musical results.
Anything which helps the musicality Im all for.

This thread is really about utilising the Q link knobs for stuff like automating filters etc. Ie each Q link represents a step on the grid aka MPC 4000
By foge1 Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm
Note length quantise is exactly what labs said.
I write dance music mostly but occasionally I get to work with rnb singers etc.
It's a crucial thing as far as obtaining certain musical results.
E. g if I wAnt a melodic part slammed to the grid, then I will quantise not only the start of the note but the note lengths too , particularly if I am using tempo sync'd delays or havd a bass part where it's important that the note off finishes just before the next kick etc.

Jah I think u use pro tools it's in the quantise options , check it out it makes a big difference on certain types of material.
G
By Airyck Mon May 06, 2013 9:59 pm
I want to +1 this because I brought it up in a separate feature request topic not knowing that the 4000 had this feature.
By JAH Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 am
...while I have an MPC 4K at my finger tips, I have never used this specific function. I am away from my lab but reading the manual as I type this. What does this function do specifically? Are there any video examples available?
Last edited by JAH on Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By labcoats Tue May 07, 2013 10:36 am
It doesn't matter that you haven't used it. The world doesn't evolve around you.

In the MPC4000 you type in the note length value. You need to know how many ticks there are in a quarter bar, half bar, whole bar obviously. Its not essential for one shot drums. Its useful for bass lines, chords, drum loops etc. The feature is more suited to sequencers with graphical editors.

The OPs thread is about Q link sequencing. The Ren has 16 Q link knobs perfect for this. This is what the thread starter was posting about. Can you try and stop changing the direction of every thread around this forum. There isnt a thread unless you start it that you practically dont ruin.
By JAH Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 pm
OP....do you have any further comments on this topic?
By foge1 Thu May 09, 2013 10:56 pm
There is another thread about this, I hadn't noticed the feature request forum as I post mostly from my phone when I am travelling. Makes it hard to see anything other than the obvious.
:lol:
They got it covered in that thread,
As with many things it was implemented best in the 4k, it just had slightly strangled ergonomics due to lack of controls.
The RENs qlink s would allow the 4k step seq to live up to its potential.

I have moments where I miss things about my old 4k this is one.

G