MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.

Do you want the Direct Recording/Record Event feature to be added to MPC Software?

81%
N/A
19%
By tapedeck Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 pm
comparing this to audio tracks is a good way to derail an otherwise useful thread / feature request.
this does not have to work like audio tracks. the power is that it is a hybrid audio track / sample program.

if i could sample on the fly, then apply that to a program instantly, then tweak that as i would other samples / sequences, we're talking power way beyond a simple linear audio track.

the machinedrum uw does it and i dare say its the killer feature. :mrgreen:
By MaZe Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 pm
Coz wrote:

Also, without Step Edit how would you manually realign the sample so that the first note triggers at the exact time it was sequenced at? :hmmm:

This thing STILL doesn't have Step Edit? C'mon son.
By Lampdog Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 pm
tapedeck wrote:if i could sample on the fly, then apply that to a program instantly, then tweak that as i would other samples / sequences, we're talking power way beyond a simple linear audio track.

I know guys who before getting proper gear placed their rap verses on mpc 2000 classics using this method. It worked very well back then.
By JAH Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:59 am
tapedeck wrote:if i could sample on the fly, then apply that to a program instantly, then tweak that as i would other samples / sequences, we're talking power way beyond a simple linear audio track.

How is this 'power way beyond a simple linear audio track'? You can edit audio tracks, add effects, and automation. You can slice audio tracks into multiple regions and move the regions around. Any DAW can do this. And I haven't seen anything an MPC can do in this regard that is more powerful then a DAW.
By Airyck Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 am
JAH wrote:

How is this 'power way beyond a simple linear audio track'? You can edit audio tracks, add effects, and automation. You can slice audio tracks into multiple regions and move the regions around. Any DAW can do this. And I haven't seen anything an MPC can do in this regard that is more powerful then a DAW.

Not saying it's more powerful but its a different set of abilities than with audio tracks (audio tracks have their advantages too). With MIDI / Direct Record you can easily apply envelopes, lfos, and filters that are triggered by the MIDI notes. It's also easy to try quick variations and layering/doubling of the sound. Not saying you can't do this stuff with audio tracks it's just that some things are more cumbersome with one or the other so it would be great to have both.
By JAH Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:18 pm
Airyck wrote:
JAH wrote:

Not saying it's more powerful but its a different set of abilities than with audio tracks (audio tracks have their advantages too). With MIDI / Direct Record you can easily apply envelopes, lfos, and filters that are triggered by the MIDI notes. It's also easy to try quick variations and layering/doubling of the sound. Not saying you can't do this stuff with audio tracks it's just that some things are more cumbersome with one or the other so it would be great to have both.

I here this repeated so often in this forum. And have yet to hear any music demonstrating this.
By Airyck Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:02 pm
JAH wrote:I here this repeated so often in this forum. And have yet to hear any music demonstrating this.

Understandably so, it's not something that you would just pick out and say "hey he must have used this method to get there". There is more than one way to skin this cat.

I use this all the time to add a bunch of different variations to a recording and spread them across the pads, then play them in different orders to come up with a different arrangement of a sequence that has more life and human feel to it, with FX and Filters changing all over each pad. It might be a HP filter sweep with an envelope on one pad. Then a rhythmic LFO panning or turning the filter on the beat. Keep in mind this is all with the same recording of audio.

With an audio track this would be very tedious and slow and I wouldn't be able to get it to vibe as well with the track. I'd have to chop and apply FX on certain part, then move the part to a new audio track so I could apply FX. I'd have to figure out how to trigger an envelope on that track without MIDI since you can't send MIDI to FX plugins in the Ren yet. I could automate but it's much harder to make subtle changes quickly doing that. Then once I did all that I'd have to click around and keep moving things out of the way to re-arrange things until I had something I liked.

So in this scenario you can see that it's possible both ways but one way is easier. This is no definitive thing, it's a preference on which way you like to work for whatever you are doing at a given moment.

Some people may like the visual of audio tracks and that sort of feedback is what helps them get into a groove. Others are tactile and like to feel it out rather than see it.

They are both valid ways of working for sure! :mrgreen: