MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.

Do you want the Direct Recording/Record Event feature to be added to MPC Software?

81%
N/A
19%
By Rokgod Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote: lets you record a sample while the sequencer is playing, then place an event in the sequencer to trigger that newly recorded sample at the correct location within the sequence.

In the mpc software you can record a sample while sequence is playing, immediately after you can assign to pad and sequence very easily, (or as you call it, 'placing an event for the sequnece to trigger'= sequencing lol duhh)I dont think its such a difficult task that needs a "auto"-shortcut. You basically want the mpc to automatically sequence your sample after you've recorded it and then the mpc software is supposed to know where it's supposed to be in the sequence? Doesn't make much sense to me. Sequencing samples and making music in general is manual, not automatic.
By JAH Thu May 30, 2013 1:55 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:For some stupid reason, the standalone MPC Software does not have the Record Event option that the MPC2500/1000 Direct Recording feature has, which lets you record a sample while the sequencer is playing, then place an event in the sequencer to trigger that newly recorded sample at the correct location within the sequence.

One of the more mentally challenged forum members thinks that this is not necessary, they will not accept anything less than full Pro Tools style audio tracks.

Other forum members would really like to have this feature ASAP.

This would not be in place of 'real' audio tracks, but as well as, and hopefully a lot sooner, as it should be much easier to implement.

You can already record a new sample while the MPC Software sequencer is playing, this would just add an option after the sample is recorded to automatically assign the sample to a pad, and then insert an event in the sequencer to trigger it at the same location in the sequence as when it was recorded.

I can't see that automatically assigning the newly recorded sample to a pad, and inserting an event in the sequencer to trigger it in the correct location, would take much programming effort.

This would be useful for tracking external MIDI sound sources, vocals, other instruments, etc., into MPC Software sequences, to be included with your MPC sounds when exporting, playing back without the external devices/performers, etc., without needing to be recorded into a separate DAW.

Please vote.

As I said before.... :lol:

Audio tracks is the way to go.
Last edited by JAH on Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rokgod Thu May 30, 2013 2:05 pm
I dont agree with Jah very often at all but I kept re-reading and trying to understand what the actual feature is/does that your requesting and what the hell, this feature doesnt even make sense, you want the mpc to sequence your sample (or as you say 'place the event') for you automatically? Doesnt this defeat the purpose of the mpc to begin with, dont you want to edit your sample and sequence it to your personal preference? if you want to just slap it on your sequence after recording your sample then thats the easiest thing in the world, assign it to a pad and with the software one mouse click will 'place your event' anywhere!!!
By JAH Thu May 30, 2013 2:09 pm
This feature is a lame substitute for audio tracks...the same is true for continuous sample tracks. It is no wonder why Akai left this feature out.
By SimonInAustralia Thu May 30, 2013 2:25 pm
InspectahEX wrote:I dont agree with Jah very often at all but I kept re-reading and trying to understand what the actual feature is/does that your requesting and what the hell, this feature doesnt even make sense, you want the mpc to sequence your sample (or as you say 'place the event') for you automatically? Doesnt this defeat the purpose of the mpc to begin with, dont you want to edit your sample and sequence it to your personal preference? if you want to just slap it on your sequence after recording your sample then thats the easiest thing in the world, assign it to a pad and with the software one mouse click will 'place your event' anywhere!!!

The feature already exists in hardware MPCs. It lets you record a new sample in sync with your existing sequence.

This might be an external MIDI synth, for example, that you have already sequenced the notes that it plays back, you might just want to have that audio inside your MPC Software sequence, rather than being played back from an external synth (or vocals/live instrument/etc.).

In the same way that you might want to have audio tracks, and not have to click to place the audio in position after it is recorded.

It is not necessarily a sample that you would want to use as an MPC drum/synth instrument to play/place wherever you want.

The idea of this is to let you easily record an external sound source into the MPC as a sample, so that it can be included in exported audio, or can be played back with your sequence without needing the original external audio source.

Placing it with a mouse click can not put it exactly where it was recorded, so that it is in sync/time with the existing sequence. It would be like recording onto a DAW track, overdubbing a new track on top of existing tracks, and then having to click on the track to tell it where to put the new recording at the correct place in time.

It is a very simple feature, that already exists in the MPC workflow and features, which has been left out of MPC Software.

It does not have to be either this feature, or full audio tracks as a feature, they can easily coexist, fulfilling similar, but slightly different, needs.
By dtaa pla muk Thu May 30, 2013 2:47 pm
every now and then i pop in here for the entertainment. this conversation always confused me when it came up in the jj forums.

this is an awful lot of fuss over midi-triggered macrosamples.

audio tracks are vastly superior to a single note-on that triggers a massive multibar sample. anytime you start playback after that note-on, the sample is not played until your sequence loops over that note-on again. audio tracks accomplish the exact same goal, but play from whatever position. unless i'm seriously missing something, this is better in every way than "direct record" events.

one way or another, the functionality of either feature (macrosampling) is an important modern tool.

"direct record" is just an underpowered workaround for proper audio tracks.
Last edited by dtaa pla muk on Thu May 30, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SimonInAustralia Thu May 30, 2013 2:54 pm
Nym wrote:every now and then i pop in here for the entertainment. this conversation always confused me when it came up in the jj forums.

audio tracks are vastly superior to a single note-on that triggers a massive multibar sample. anytime you start playback after that note-on, the sample is not played until your sequence loops over that note-on again. audio tracks accomplish the exact same goal, but play from whatever position. unless i'm seriously missing something, this is better in every way than "direct record" events.

one way or another, the functionality of either feature (macrosampling) is an important modern tool.

How would you compare the complexity of adding in an automatic pad assignment and placement of a sequencer event, for a newly recorded sample, to the existing MPC Software, versus adding full audio tracks?

I don't think that anyone is claiming that this is equivalent to full audio tracks, or that it has to be this feature instead of audio tracks.

I really do not understand the negativity around this feature request, as it seems that it would be very easy to program into the existing software.
Last edited by SimonInAustralia on Thu May 30, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dtaa pla muk Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 pm
as it seems that it would be very easy to program into the existing software.

agreed. it is the low hanging fruit function. audio tracks would be more work to implement but ultimately they are the intended functionality.

I really do not understand the negativity around this feature request

oh personally i do not care about what gets implemented in this software. it's more about wider design style. the direct record function was always a workaround to achieve a more multi-track or daw style recording method. if it were me doing it, i'd do it right. especially if the ceiling is higher (modern processors as opposed to ~flip-phone processors)

for the price you paid, you guys should not have to settle for a half-baked workaround, because it may end up being all you get.
By SimonInAustralia Thu May 30, 2013 3:11 pm
Nym wrote:for the price you paid, you guys should not have to settle for a half-baked workaround, because it may end up being all you get.

I would rather a half baked workaround, than nothing, when dropped at/before version 2.

I can not see that adding such a simple feature should prevent, delay, or impact upon, the implementation of audio tracks, in any significant way.

If they drop software development before audio tracks are implemented, I really doubt that would be due to adding an automatic pad assignment and sequencer event placement feature to the existing sample recording process.

No idea what Maschine does, but MPCs already do it.

If it is already a feature of the MPC Software to allow you to record a new sample while the sequencer is playing back, so that the new sample can be performed in time with an existing sequence, why shouldn't you want to to have that new sample played back at the correct position, so that it is played back in time with the sequence like you recorded it.
By Art James Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 pm
Nym wrote:every now and then i pop in here for the entertainment. this conversation always confused me when it came up in the jj forums.

"direct record" is just an underpowered workaround for proper audio tracks.

from this audio is the way to go but all those who say this feature is useless clearly dont have an understanding of what the poll is about. the feature we are asking for is a lot more simple to integrate than audio tracks with how unstable the software is now a simple note on would be enough to get the job done. with that being said i would prefer the audio tracks cuz of more flexibilty. it aint bout chopping samples but capturing audio inside the ren from those hardware synth (motif, fantom,etc.) only for me. but the walk around isnt all that bad. (record audio, chop to 8-16 bar loop, place in seq as note on midi.) :? but you have to stretch the note the entire sep unless you want it to play in mono after the seq stops playing. any way you look at it audio tracks or this feature is needed.
By SimonInAustralia Thu May 30, 2013 3:34 pm
Nym wrote:audio tracks are vastly superior to a single note-on that triggers a massive multibar sample. anytime you start playback after that note-on, the sample is not played until your sequence loops over that note-on again. audio tracks accomplish the exact same goal, but play from whatever position.

Isn't this limitation addressed, and overcome, in a pre-existing MPC feature as well?...
Continuous sample track

You can play a phrase sample along with the sequence.

Normally, while playing a phrase sample within a sequence, the phrase sample will not be played if its Note On is located before the play back point of the sequence.

But if you active the Continuous sample track, the MPC2500 will play the sample from the point which matches the playing timing, even the sequence starts after its Note ON.

Tips : This function is very useful when you use the phrase sample that the vocal or the live performance is recorded with the Direct Recording function in the sequence.
By Coz Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:If it is already a feature of the MPC Software to allow you to record a new sample while the sequencer is playing back, so that the new sample can be performed in time with an existing sequence, why shouldn't you want to to have that new sample played back at the correct position, so that it is played back in time with the sequence like you recorded it.

Also, without Step Edit how would you manually realign the sample so that the first note triggers at the exact time it was sequenced at? :hmmm: