MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By AidenBradley Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:24 pm
Offer MPC Studio to Renaissance owners for $199.

That's all...you can return to your regularly scheduled program.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:28 pm
I actually feel it's a pretty decent idea in theory, certainly owners of one of the new MPCs should benefit from some kind of loyalty discount on purchasing the other one in the family.

I think your pricing suggestion is somewhat wishful thinking though :)

But I'm pretty sure that the cost of these MPCs is taking into account a software license, so you should certainly be getting a reduced licence fee if you already purchased a 'primary' license.
By AidenBradley Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:13 pm
I know they have multiple retail suppliers so, the easy option would be either:

1. Renaissance owners can purchase the Studio through their online store only. (Ren must be registered with Akai)

2. Issue one mail-in rebate per Renaissance serial number to be redeemed within 60 days of MPC Studio purchase. (At least $250 rebate at a minimum).

How much do you really think the cost of the MPC Studio is material vs. software license? I'm thinking Software $400 vs Hardware $200.
By JAH Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:16 am
Good idea. But I think unlikely without them implementing some other forum of protection scheme. Otherwise users would simply buy the Studio at a discounted price and then flip it for a profit. That is what I would do if I had no interest in the Studio.
By AidenBradley Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 am
JAH wrote:Good idea. But I think unlikely without them implementing some other forum of protection scheme. Otherwise users would simply buy the Studio at a discounted price and then flip it for a profit. That is what I would do if I had no interest in the Studio.

Truuuuue. But the fix action is what Ableton does, one license...one computer at a time. If I change computers, I have to remove my old laptop from my license.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:51 am
tapedeck wrote:
AidenBradley wrote:...How much do you really think the cost of the MPC Studio is material vs. software license? I'm thinking Software $400 vs Hardware $200.

try more like $20. serious.

That's two separate issues though. Actual hardware costs for a MIDI controller are minimal, there really isn't much going on there. You are mostly paying for the R & D, your software license, marketing, distribution costs, ongoing development, third party licensing fees (e.g. for timestretching algorithms etc), legal costs, profit etc.

I suspect if they ever sold the Studio controller without any software, it would retail in the same ballpark as an MPD, perhaps a touch more.
By Metatron72 Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:37 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
tapedeck wrote:
AidenBradley wrote:...How much do you really think the cost of the MPC Studio is material vs. software license? I'm thinking Software $400 vs Hardware $200.

try more like $20. serious.

That's two separate issues though. Actual hardware costs for a MIDI controller are minimal, there really isn't much going on there. You are mostly paying for the R & D, your software license, marketing, distribution costs, ongoing development, third party licensing fees (e.g. for timestretching algorithms etc), legal costs, profit etc.

I suspect if they ever sold the Studio controller without any software, it would retail in the same ballpark as an MPD, perhaps a touch more.

I am 100% in agreement but when I think of the only comparison I'm not sure a vendor would follow that model. I think they no longer offer it but Native Instruments used to have Maschine controllers for sale with no license included. The listing was kind of buried on the website and was only extended to registered users, my assumption being as a replacement or extra unit for traveling owners. The asking price was $449USD, implying the perceived retail value is a bit skewed, and as you alluded to Tutor it's a bit of a false economy if an MPD32 averages out to about $250USD at retail.
By foge1 Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:57 pm
This makes alot of sense. As I cannot used any of my mpc stuff outside of my home as I am generally never gonna carry my Ren around.
This would give me a fighting chance of being able to use the mpc outside of that environment.
G