MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By epidemic Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:09 am
(60/[exact length of loop in seconds]) x [number of beats in loop] = beats per minute

It's not difficult mathematically. We can set up a perfect loop by ear easily. The MPC Software already knows the exact length of that loop. So when we time-stretch without knowing the exact original BPM, it just needs to ask how many beats or bars is the original sample. From there it's a simple calculation to get an exact BPM. that way we don't have to micro-adjust over and over again to get a perfectly chopped loop to fit in correctly with everything else in Pro-tools or whatever sequencer/DAW.

we could do the math ourselves, but why would we do that every time when we've already done the musical part. let the computers handle the number crunching

Then from that point it's not difficult at all to have time stretching transform from just [bpm to bpm] into a [#of beats/bars to #of beats/bars]. using the same basic equation. it can't be more than just a couple lines of code as far as programming goes.
By JAH Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 am
I don't think anyone will disagree with this great idea. One of the more logical feature suggestions.
By marrelarre Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 am
Correct me if im wrong, i may have missunderstood what you asked for.

The newest MPC ive used is 2000XL, but its time stretch has exactly this, you tell it how many beats your sample is, then it tells you what BPM its in, and then you can tell it to stretch to a different BPM. The newer MPCs cant do this? :hmmm:
By grinchmob Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 pm
epidemic wrote:(60/[exact length of loop in seconds]) x [number of beats in loop] = beats per minute

It's not difficult mathematically. We can set up a perfect loop by ear easily. The MPC Software already knows the exact length of that loop. So when we time-stretch without knowing the exact original BPM, it just needs to ask how many beats or bars is the original sample. From there it's a simple calculation to get an exact BPM. that way we don't have to micro-adjust over and over again to get a perfectly chopped loop to fit in correctly with everything else in Pro-tools or whatever sequencer/DAW.

we could do the math ourselves, but why would we do that every time when we've already done the musical part. let the computers handle the number crunching

Then from that point it's not difficult at all to have time stretching transform from just [bpm to bpm] into a [#of beats/bars to #of beats/bars]. using the same basic equation. it can't be more than just a couple lines of code as far as programming goes.

:nod: been wanting this for a minute...
By grinchmob Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm
marrelarre wrote:Correct me if im wrong, i may have missunderstood what you asked for.

The newest MPC ive used is 2000XL, but its time stretch has exactly this, you tell it how many beats your sample is, then it tells you what BPM its in, and then you can tell it to stretch to a different BPM. The newer MPCs cant do this? :hmmm:

It doesn't. :oops:
By MaZe Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 pm
grinchmob wrote:
marrelarre wrote:Correct me if im wrong, i may have missunderstood what you asked for.

It doesn't. :oops:

Correction. The REN can't do this. All of the newer MPCs after the 2000XL can do this.
By epidemic Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:03 pm

My Mpc 1000 did it. But its not in the Ren or Studio software. I suggested it to akai through their site, but I figure Mpc forums can have more influence. maybe we'll see it in the next couple minor updates after 1.4