MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By highcaliba Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:27 pm
It'll be nice if the REN could take the groove from any audio recording and make a quantizing template off of it... Its a cool feature that logic has that would be nice if it was implemented into REN software.
By Metatron72 Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:27 pm
Yeah man it's sick. I've used it for years. As long as the thing you're extracting from is somewhere in the realm of what you programmed it can do amazing things.

Like you could have drum chops on a rigged 1/16th grid with the only "swing" being that you maybe did hats on 1,3,7,11...etc. for a bit of syncopation. Then you grab a Bernard Purdie break, hit extract groove. then apply groove and bam, your 1/16 rigid loop is swinging lovely.

You can use other stuff besides drum breaks too, really anything with that humanized feel to it, mostly stuff that was played live. But it could be programmed stuff to extract to so long as it had some swing.

I've found myself using it just certain tracks or on whole songs, it can work both ways.

Reason has a dedicated mixer for the grooves and where you apply them with faders for the strength applied. They include a folder of all the values from the MPC60, and some more extreme genre ones.

In a couple hours you could make a library of hundreds of them of anything you want to extract.

Which I might do today if it starts raining again. :mrgreen:
By updaters Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:37 am
Lokaali Moraali wrote:http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/roger-linn-swing-groove-magic-mpc-timing/

I just had to..

Roger Linn babbles nonsense
the mpcs are inaccurate.you can see this on mpc groovetemplate as midifile in event editor in logic
or other daw
thats right

Groove is coming with musical micro timing on 16th notes pattern
not only clock on 4th note
otherwise no band in the world would grooving
and what band is playing sample conform
random is not the thing
musical micro timing in repetition
and the balance of micro timings of various instruments
that’s all, and different every time
There is a feeling action
Groove is a feeling