MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By foge1 Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:03 pm
I have always disliked this about every MPC I have ever owned, I have always wondered if others dislike this too.

When you hit Sample edit the MPC Pads stop behaving like the normal program and are assigned to play a sample from different points.

However I hardly ever use any of the playback options other than standard play sample and that irritates me as it doesn't follow the behaviour of how I am using a sample for example when its assigned to one shot.

When going into Sample Edit (trim mode) I would like the option to stay in my normal prog edit behaviour so that what ever pad I hit is the sample I am editing and has the correct program and effects parameters assigned this is how maschine behaves and I much prefer it.

How do u guys feel about this?
By Coz Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 pm
foge1 wrote:When going into Sample Edit (trim mode) I would like the option to stay in my normal prog edit behaviour so that what ever pad I hit is the sample I am editing and has the correct program and effects parameters assigned this is how maschine behaves and I much prefer it.

JJOS does something similar. It's a very fluid way of working in Trim compared to the standard Akai way.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:23 pm
Yep, pgmMode in JJOSXL TRIM does this to some degree and it's fantastic.

So yes, some kind of switch in SAMPLE EDIT to select the editing mode would be nice - i,e.

PGM: Edit the sample with current program settings applied

SAMPLE: standard TRIM mode.

In PGMmode, the pads would also retain the current program assignments so you can quickly switch the sample to edit just by hitting the pad.

Maybe a 'commit' option as well, which could auto-resample the pad with the current program settings applied and place that new standalone sample in the project info panel.
By foge1 Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:55 pm
Interesting, like the idea of a commit option, really fast no long winded menus etc.

Didn't realise JJ put this in. That man has done so much cool stuff. Was a 4k user before the REN so never got to check his work out.
By JAH Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 am
foge1 wrote:I have always disliked this about every MPC I have ever owned, I have always wondered if others dislike this too.

When you hit Sample edit the MPC Pads stop behaving like the normal program and are assigned to play a sample from different points.

However I hardly ever use any of the playback options other than standard play sample and that irritates me as it doesn't follow the behaviour of how I am using a sample for example when its assigned to one shot.

When going into Sample Edit (trim mode) I would like the option to stay in my normal prog edit behaviour so that what ever pad I hit is the sample I am editing and has the correct program and effects parameters assigned this is how maschine behaves and I much prefer it.

How do u guys feel about this?

I agree. I have never used the different play pad options. They could go away and I wouldn't think twice about them. In Sample Edit Mode, I would also like a Program option where the pads triggered a selected program and the sample assigned to that pad is displayed in the editor. Additionally, I would want the Program's Pad Play Modes to be enabled in Sample Edit. So I can choose whether I want a pad to trigger as a One Shot or Note On, Mono or Poly, etc.
By TT_Lab Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm
I would like to be able to choose because I use the different play options all the time...
One shot would be great though...
Ex. to adjust the end point "play from end"(pad 3) comes handy to look what is the sound that you are leaving out of the sample and control for example when the next note, kick, snare or whatever starts....I guess it is bonded with my personal workflow...
By tapedeck Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:33 pm
if the concept of 'sample edit' simply goes away and these adjustments are made at the program level, a world of possibilities opens up.

trim while playing sequence.
non-destructive edits.
automated modulation of 'edit' parameters.

the only thing you really need to have a special case for is discarding unused parts of the sample, which when memory isn't an issue as much, isn't as huge a deal. :mrgreen:
By JAH Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:32 am
tapedeck wrote:if the concept of 'sample edit' simply goes away and these adjustments are made at the program level, a world of possibilities opens up.

trim while playing sequence.
non-destructive edits.
automated modulation of 'edit' parameters.

the only thing you really need to have a special case for is discarding unused parts of the sample, which when memory isn't an issue as much, isn't as huge a deal. :mrgreen:

I would actually like to see the Sample Editor in Program Edit Mode. I would prefer that instead of the Sequencer Grid. Then I would expect it to perform similar to Battery. When you adjust Attack and Decay, you get a visual of how it will impact the sample.