MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By evillmusic Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm
I pretty much like the way the hardware looks but would have been cool to have the classic color scheme for both the Ren and the Studio and your choice of black like the 2500 and the 1000...The software set up is cool not to complicated like some other music software!...Again it would be cool if we could change the colors of parts of the software..like if i want to change the project information color background to black i could instead of the grey....And the main thing is everything working the right way bug free! :nod:
By Coz Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm
apricotandpearjam wrote:i DONT want to change its workflow, but the design, the look, the feel, the hardware, the software feels old and dated.

If everything feels old and dated then obviously the workflow is old and dated, right? How do you separate form and function?
By m:t:c Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:18 pm
Isn't that just what these MPControllers are all about? They even say it themselves: "Fusing Akai Professional’s legendary MPC layout and workflow with the power of your computer"

Guess you've just got the wrong product there.
By DJ Hellfire Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:18 pm
ntalec wrote:It would have been nice to design it with a bigger screen but they didn't so that should be the end of story.

The last thing needed is for Akai to turn ship and do a redesign, they instead need to focus on continuing to develop the features and functions.

From a hardware point of view they simply need to redo the arrangement of what is on various screens.
In other words take a page from JJ like what he did with the screens on the 1k/2500
OS.
He managed to change the fonts and arrangement of the info on those small 240 x 64 screens to make them far more useful than what the Akai OS did.

That's what they need to do instead of complicating things with a redesign that would affect stability as well as their ability to support current controllers.

:nod: :nod:
By mcroepster Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 pm
m:t:c wrote:
apricotandpearjam wrote:I dont want to change its workflow...

I just want to change its design.

:hmmm:

+1

Dude, what you blabbin about, changin its design,
Nothin wrong with that.

peace :smoker:
By comtox Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 pm
Appearances are not so important... Maybe just different skins colors :)

Then it follows color plates from www.MPCstuff.com

A black software skin could be great for dark rooms. Pink for Ladies, and Gold for Pimps ^^ lol
By rougenavarre Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:55 pm
Imo, it is not only a question of appearance. The hard can be improve, but it will increase the price dramatically. Only 5 persons will buy it ? Or 100000 ?
1°- Change these click buttons for mechanical buttons (cf Clavia). These buttons have the advantage that they can be pushed on the fly, very quickly, no need to push the finger until the click. And i feel they are far more resistant.
2° - 50% higher, and as large as the unit, hires colored flip screen.
3° - USB 3, Thunderbolt.
4° - Jog/Wheel, (Cf Avid add-on) to use flawlessly in case of audio tracks.
5° - MPC Ren Adds-on : Bank of faders for example (audio tracks)
5°bis - Mod/pitch wheels on the two sides like Beat thang.
6° - Build in power AC.
7° - Standalone ( :lol: :lol: ), so 8 outs, partnership with motu for the card. No sorry, Apogee..Metric Halo..
I'm not so excited about the Maschine Studio hardware. Strangely, i find it not so well balanced, it look likes several elements have been mount together : to much space around the screens (so, put bigger screens), this flat wheel that can't be taken between two fingers, flat screens (no flip) again above the knobs (Push understood the screen must be under the knobs), no led rings, and these ugly and flashy colored pads. Ren solution for enlightned pads was far ahead cleaver.
Waiting for labelled screens under the pads... Not ready : wait 5 years i think, to get a decent cost. Art Lebedev did a step backward with their keyboard project. It's in fact a whole screen behind the keys.

Yeah, Ren MK2. 2500 $ ? Take my banknotes, quick.
By ntalec Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:26 pm
m:t:c wrote:Isn't that just what these MPControllers are all about? They even say it themselves: "Fusing Akai Professional’s legendary MPC layout and workflow with the power of your computer"

Guess you've just got the wrong product there.

This is the key to Akai surviving against Maschine, build a better MPC not constantly chase Maschine.

If you purchased a Maschine then you should understand all the things it's good at but you should also understand why it doesn't replace the MPC.
By psr Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 pm
I thought that the REN's retro look was a calculated move by Akai to conjur up the good mojo in the ghost of MPC past. Thats what Akai's stance was when were teasing it prior to it being available for purchase. IF that was a calculated decision, why consider changing it now? because of the "you know what" by "you know who?" I for one like the solid build of the REN vs the other plasticy joints that I've used. Ren seems solid in build to me. Change it after the Software is prime time and mature, when all the software developer's "user stories" are bullet proof.

Edit-----> admittedly not a Ren owner but I have spent some time with it. not a lot but some.
Last edited by psr on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ntalec Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 am
psr wrote:I thought that the REN's retro look was a calculated move by Akai to conjur up the god mojo in the ghost of MPC past. Thats what Akai's stance was when were teasing it prior to it being available for purchase. IF that was a calculated decision, why consider changing it now? because of the "you know what" by "you know who?" I for one like the solid build of the REN vs the other plasticy joints that I've used. Ren seems solid in build to me. Change it after the Software is prime time and mature, when all the software developer's "user stories" are bullet proof.

Akai has got to understand that they walk a fine line.
Making it more like other products to gain new customers will also cause users after the MPC workflow to leave.

The used MPC market is still in full swing so that workflow is still highly desirable.
That doesn't mean they can't improve it or make it better, just means it has to be achieved with minimal disruptions.

Also lets be honest the last thing Akai needs to consider is doing things that will drive up the cost of their products.
By peeping tom Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:53 am
swap that ipad schitt for a VGA / digital video out and i'm sold

plus here is that you could use mpc to charge ya phone haha

i own a 1000k so i would give it dedicated buttons for navigating......or buy a 2500
By apricotandpearjam Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:10 pm
The main workflow of the MPC is not in question. I like the way PGMs, Tracks and Sequences work.

There is NO doubt that the program and sample editing is clunky and finding FX and layering them is difficult. That needs to improve.

I am talking about design. I dont need to keep explaining that to those who dont understand. Just look up 'design' in the dictionary.

The MPC needs bringing forward with a flat, modern interface, OLED screens on the hardware and much more visual feedback. The scrolling through screens of LCD pages days have left us. The modern producer does not want to do that.

I do not want it to look and feel old. I want it to feel new. Black and white, not all sorts of vintage creams and grey/silver. Flat, black & white is the way forward

Lets keep the heart of the MPC but give it a new body, a new brain and brand new sets of clothes.

I would be prepared to pay more for a better, more inspiring piece of kit.

Cheers.
By ntalec Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:13 pm
Don't try to passively insult people, they know what design means.
The point that's being made that you are not getting is no one ever wanted the MPC design to be done away with, we simply wanted Akai to add some much needed features and horsepower.

People who want the MPC to be remolded are basically people who would serve their needs better by going with a different product.

It's kinda funny how people still don't realize how many Ren/Studio users where actually Maschine owners who liked the power of the computer but missed both the physical appearance and workflow of the MPC line of products.

The layout the Ren is fine, with some tweaking of the screens and more progression in the features, stability etc, it will evolve into a proper MPC replacement.

None of these things
The MPC needs bringing forward with a flat, modern interface, OLED screens on the hardware and much more visual feedback. The scrolling through screens of LCD pages days have left us. The modern producer does not want to do that.

I do not want it to look and feel old. I want it to feel new. Black and white, not all sorts of vintage creams and grey/silver. Flat, black & white is the way forward

have anything to do with what MPC users are actually after and it simply won't benefit the product other than raising it's price and making it more like the many other products available.
If the MPC Ren/Studio are to survive it will be by catering to the multitude of individuals who desire the MPC workflow.

The attraction of the original Maschine was impressive but most of us actually added Maschine to our MPC setup and were grateful we did once we realized it wasn't a direct replacement to using a MPC.

Like it or not the MPC is a niche product and Akai needs to remember and focus on that.
Ever wonder why JJ has such a good following and has done so much with a product which he has no physical control over?
It's because he understands it's a niche product.