MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By highcaliba Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:13 pm
I don't know about anybody else, but I know longer carry around vinyls, and sometimes hear very good samples online via (spotify, itunes via itunes match, or just the internet in general) Soooooo.....

This feature would probably be a stretch but it would be pretty cool if you could go the RENS audio input and select Spotify, itunes, the internet or any other program on your computer as the sound source to sample from. Basically a feature similar to the way soundflower, wiretap, or audio hijack already works that allows you to record audio straight from another program. Of course you can set this up in those other programs individually with the Ren's audio input to get the job done but i figured it would be really convenient if it was built in instead of having to go through the extra steps to set this up every time you want to record.

Just a thought.
By SimonInAustralia Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:36 am
es-k wrote:theres lots of workarounds for that..

computer audio outs ---> ren... should be pretty easy to figure out if u think on it

He already has thunk on it, wants it built-in, instead of workarounds...
highcaliba wrote:Of course you can set this up in those other programs individually with the Ren's audio input to get the job done but i figured it would be really convenient if it was built in instead of having to go through the extra steps to set this up every time you want to record.
By es-k Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 pm
im not talking about other programs...

im talkin actual pc out to actual ren in ... that way literally anything coming through the computer can go into the ren

a workaround that lets you PICK itunes, youtube, etc... that will never happen because of legal issues i'd think.. but then again who knows

and simon, my suggestion DOES solve his original problem...

instead of having to go through the extra steps to set this up every time you want to record.

only gotta set it up ONCE.. then go to record sample any time you open a new session
By highcaliba Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:13 pm
I made a mistake.. I should have mentioned that I have the MPC studio (not the ren).. So I don't have the usual REN inputs...Which was my reason for this feature... When you use programs like audio hijack or wire tap, they allow you to select any program in your computer as a sound source and it'll capture the audio from it, turning it into a wav or mp3... Currently I use soundflower to record from program to program.. Which works well.. But to use it i have to adjust my computers sound preference every time even though my MPC settings are able to stay the same. That work around does the job, but at this point i've been brainstorming ways to speed up work flow.
By SimonInAustralia Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:15 pm
es-k wrote:a workaround that lets you PICK itunes, youtube, etc... that will never happen because of legal issues i'd think.. but then again who knows

and simon, my suggestion DOES solve his original problem...

All good, but this is in the software feature suggestion section, so he is asking for it to be added as a feature, which I agree would be useful, he is not really posting it as a problem/looking for a workaround.

This shit is supposed to be integrated into the computer, sending a analogue signal out of the computer, and back in, is a ridiculous workaround in the circumstances, sure it works, but why is it necessary, it should be possible to do it internally.

I don't think there is any problem with copyright, that is up to the user, not for Akai to enforce with limitations in their programs.
By es-k Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:11 pm
haha

well a much more simple way of doing it would be instead of wanting to individually select itunes or youtube just have one of the sampling options be computer audio outs.. like "external/resample/computerout" for example

i feel like the beatthang would have a "youtube" option :lol: :lol:
Last edited by es-k on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By highcaliba Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 pm
Yeah.. Having a computer audio out option would even be great... Here's an example of how audio hijack allows you to record from other programs within the application. Notice how you can make the sound source almost any program in your computer. Which comes in handy if you have other programs running in the background that may make noises that you don't wanna record (like chat sound efx and etc.)

By highcaliba Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:36 am
yeah i know lol.. I engineer sessions all the time so i'm definitely familiar with the signal flow work arounds which only take me 2 minutes to set up.... I guess i'm just being slightly lazy especially since its only 2 clicks more than I would do if the feature was implemented. lol
ByMPCHolland053 Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm
I Just connect my phones audio out to the ren's line in....since most telephones have YouTube Spotify etc. And have a headphone audio out...
u can do all that stuff without problems...this feature would not do anything for me...give me audio tracks for my external synths and microphone...so I won't be needing any other software...and I won't need to worry bout changes in exported tracks,stems, change of the way it sounds...oh yeah and we need a better mixer and FX plugins especially if we"re finally able to use external synths and mic's for smoother mixdowns and editing of that audio
By highcaliba Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:12 pm
Yeah.. that works if you have the REN or you have an external interface with inputs... I have the MPC studio with no interface at the moment so "soundflower" is my alternate method which works pretty flawless at this point. It just allows me to digitally route the output of the computer right back into itself.