MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By machinesworking Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 pm
So, new to MPC 2 software, importing REX files seems to be broken in the latest version, at least on my system.
They do not show up as chopped samples, or audio files, although the software shows them as imported into the project. The sample editor is empty etc. Any suggestions? or is this a bug?
By MPC-Tutor Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:09 pm
I've found that rex files created directly in Recycle work fine. I do get some rex files that are blank though, looking at the file headers, there seems to be a difference in the file structure.

Do you know what software generated your non-working Rex files? I assume it has to be Reason or Recycle, I don't think they allow any third parties the ability to create Rex.
By machinesworking Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 pm
Thanks for confirming, haven't had any REX files work so far.
My personal ones were created in Reason 2.5, so old as the hills files.
I also have a ton of commercially available REX files that aren't working.
You're probably onto something with the file headers, it may only be working with ones created in the last version of Recycle or Reason.

I do have a copy of Recycle 2, and it does export REX files as MPC files, so there's that. Out of curiosity I'm going to test and see if Save As fixes the REX files and MPC 2 opens them.
By machinesworking Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:34 am
Testing with Recycle 2 saving a REX file works to have it import into the MPC 2 software.
Since Recycle 2 also saves in a native AKAI format it's smarter to just do that. Kind of a bummer really, it takes using a third party program like AudioFinder to review the REX files, and Recycle 2 to covert them for the MPC. It would be nice if AKAI made the MPC 2 fully compatible with REX files considering how popular that format is.
By machinesworking Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:12 am
Nice little Easter Egg, 2.3 fixed the REX issues, I can see and import REX files no problems!

Would be nice if AKAI got the MPC to import the MIDI file embedded in the REX loop as well, but I'm still pretty happy the bug is fixed at least.

Apparently you can only edit a post here within a certain timeline. If a mod wants to add "Fixed in 2.3" that would make a lot of sense search engine wise...