MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Michael Porthouse Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:01 pm
Hey all,

I'd like to move the current location of my expansions from my Mac's internal SSD to another drive.

My expansions are located: Library > Application Support > Akai > MPC

Is this possible? I want to do this because I am running out of space in my internal SSD.

I plan on leaving my MPC software in the Application folder on my Mac's SSD.

I'm using MacOS 10.14.5 and MPC software 2.5.0.

TIA
By Monotremata Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:57 am
Symbolic links should work, I did it to the ~/Documents/MPC folder so I could keep it on my Audio drive with all my Logic projects and that one works fine. You cant use an alias though, it has to be a symbolic link.

Moving the expansions would be sort of difficult because there are multiple pieces to them spread out in the /Application Support/Akai/MPC folder. The sample expansions aren't bad but the instruments like the 809/Bank/Noise/etc are worse.

Id try to move the whole folder and see if it works. As an example, say you moved the /Application Support/Akai folder to a drive called /Storage... This is what you would type in the Terminal to link it (without the quotes):
"ln -s /Volumes/Storage/Akai /Application\ Support/"
Basically you just made a shortcut from the /Storage/Akai folder and put it in the /Application Support folder and the Mac will think nothing has changed. Just change /Storage/ to wherever you actually put the Akai folder.
By Michael Porthouse Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:19 am
Sorted. I used a small app called Symbolic Linker which means no messing with terminal commands.

Rather than move my expansions I moved my Logic & GarageBand Application Support Folders and my Apple Loops folder from Audio to my new drive which has freed up more than enough space and it works perfectly, so plenty of room to install my new expansions on my system SSD.

Delighted to say the least :)
By Monotremata Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:37 pm
Michael Porthouse wrote:Sorted. I used a small app called Symbolic Linker which means no messing with terminal commands.

Rather than move my expansions I moved my Logic & GarageBand Application Support Folders and my Apple Loops folder from Audio to my new drive which has freed up more than enough space and it works perfectly, so plenty of room to install my new expansions on my system SSD.

Delighted to say the least :)

Hah thats even better, those two folders on my system are way bigger than all the MPC content I have installed! I think just the Alchemy presets alone are bigger than the 14GB or so the MPC stuff takes up.

I keep forgetting we have that option in Logic now. It used to sometimes work, sometimes not, but now Apple finally went 'Oh yeah since everybody can only afford the 128 or 256GB SSDs with our Macs we better let them move this 50GB of Apple Loop crap we make them download' heh. Same trick should work just fine with the MPC if you need to do it in the future.