MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By thedrumknockerz Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:57 pm
Sup y'all?

Good to be back in the mix.
Just got into MPC 2.5 w/MPC Studio Black after years of the MPC 2kxl and Reason.

Somehow, this workflow isn't translating for me. I can sample, but for some reason, I'm not able to put drum sounds in the same program with the sample chops like in legacy MPCs. Is there a place I can get this info that would thoroughly instruct me with this particular issue? The manual isn't as forward as I'd like. Then again, maybe this is info overload for me.

In any event, the community's help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
By Monotremata Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:26 am
Yeah the manual is kinda eh when it comes to certain things. Ive read through it 3 or 4 times and often have to go find a Youtube video or something to get a grip on things.

What exactly are you trying to do? Ive gotten all the chopping and slicing stuff down finally (thanks for the sample video on that from your book MPC-Tutor haha), thats the one thing Ive managed to memorize so far. Are you trying to just add more drum hits to the program after you've added the slices or? Once you've got your loop chopped and all the slices placed on the pads, you should just be able to drag and drop samples from the browser window onto the pad you want to use. Just make sure you're doing the whole 'extract to a new program with new samples' routine. The thing starts to get stupid when you do it as non-destructive slices. In fact don't even leave the Chop screen after you do it, just close sample edit altogether hah. Whatever you do, make sure you don't open Sample Edit for that sample again or it will wipe all of the slice mapping out. Even Akai told me 'Oops better just use the extract to new sample option for now' when I reported it.
By thedrumknockerz Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:45 pm
Monotremata wrote: Just make sure you're doing the whole 'extract to a new program with new samples' routine. The thing starts to get stupid when you do it as non-destructive slices. In fact don't even leave the Chop screen after you do it, just close sample edit altogether hah. Whatever you do, make sure you don't open Sample Edit for that sample again or it will wipe all of the slice mapping out. Even Akai told me 'Oops better just use the extract to new sample option for now' when I reported it.

Thanks again for this info! Worked wonders for me. I feel like this is me unboxing my brand new MPC 2000 all over again. :lol:
By Monotremata Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 pm
Haha no worries good to hear its working! Yeah I wanted one of these things for over 20 years now and this is my first one, its a blast compared to slaving away in Logic. Its making me realize I should've bought a 2000 ages ago when I first saw them!
By 83dude Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 am
Monotremata wrote:Haha no worries good to hear its working! Yeah I wanted one of these things for over 20 years now and this is my first one, its a blast compared to slaving away in Logic. Its making me realize I should've bought a 2000 ages ago when I first saw them!

Seconded. MPC Workflow rules (even if it has it‘s weaknesses)!