MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By huglife187 Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:41 pm
hy, does anyone work with the mpc software on a macbook air and can share some experiences?

this are the specs of the macbook air i have an eye on

Intel Core i7-5650U (2x 2,2 GHz / 4MB Cache)
8gb ram
500gb ssd
By JUKE 179r Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 pm
What MacOS you got?
By quietizkept Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:17 pm
Don't have it any more to check, but I will say this: My Air punched way above its weight class with Traktor. All high quality settigs, low latency, tons of CPU hungry FX, 128 loops in remix decks, no hiccups as hard as I could push it. It didn't remotely meet the spec requirements for Traktor. The CPU was like a whole Ghz below the minimum spec. Ram was 2GB below (as in had 2, needed 4).

My ignorant theory is that the SSD acted like almost-as-good RAM concerning the swap/page file if Mac even has that lol.

I'm a hardcore PC man in the studio, but after TEN failed djing Windows laptops (that I took good care of, I promise) I bought the only Macbook I could afford for gigs. It handled whatever the hell I threw at it. The build quality was superb. It never showed any signs of wear.

Sorry not direct experience but I'm compelled to say try it, if you can. My only worry is that the MPC Software is kinda inefficient & clunky, so it may not run as well as say, Traktor, which is an older fleshed-out and stable program than MPC.

Good luck! If it doesn't work out, keep the **** & go dj some weddings!
By huglife187 Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:35 pm
quietizkept wrote:Don't have it any more to check, but I will say this: My Air punched way above its weight class with Traktor. All high quality settigs, low latency, tons of CPU hungry FX, 128 loops in remix decks, no hiccups as hard as I could push it. It didn't remotely meet the spec requirements for Traktor. The CPU was like a whole Ghz below the minimum spec. Ram was 2GB below (as in had 2, needed 4).

My ignorant theory is that the SSD acted like almost-as-good RAM concerning the swap/page file if Mac even has that lol.

I'm a hardcore PC man in the studio, but after TEN failed djing Windows laptops (that I took good care of, I promise) I bought the only Macbook I could afford for gigs. It handled whatever the hell I threw at it. The build quality was superb. It never showed any signs of wear.

Sorry not direct experience but I'm compelled to say try it, if you can. My only worry is that the MPC Software is kinda inefficient & clunky, so it may not run as well as say, Traktor, which is an older fleshed-out and stable program than MPC.

Good luck! If it doesn't work out, keep the **** & go dj some weddings!

thanks for letting me know .... i guess you used the the mac os or did you used boot camp with windows? what are you using right now for dj gigs?
By huglife187 Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:50 am
morph860 wrote:I think it'll be fine on a MacBook Air with those specs as long as you aren't going crazy with VST plug-ins.

the macbook air should arrive in the next days ... i will try it out .... i hope it can handle at least ableton live 10 with the mpc software as a vst ....the cool thing would be the option to install the mpc 2 software on mac os and the mpc 1.9 software with bootcamp on windows 10
By quietizkept Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:47 pm
huglife187 wrote:
quietizkept wrote:thanks for letting me know .... i guess you used the the mac os or did you used boot camp with windows? what are you using right now for dj gigs?

I did Bootcamp but only for other music work on the road. I'd been away for a few years, but I caught a super deal on a Lenovo Thinkpad on Craigslist that will have to do me until I can stack some Mac money.
By huglife187 Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:45 pm
quietizkept wrote:Moreover, if this Lenovo survives until then, it'll become my MPC computer for visiting other studios.

good luck ... what's the form factor? i mainly ordered the macbook air 2015 because it's the last mba with 11inch factor .... it basically has the same size like the mpc studio, so if it's running stable i prefer this combo over the mpc live