MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By auricle Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:09 pm
Hi all,

For those of you who have experience of MPC software on Mac and PC, which platform would you say ran better? I’m not asking generally but specifically about the MPC software. I’m talking about reliability (crashes), CPU efficiency and so on.

I love my MPC X but sometimes need more than eight audio tracks or 8 outputs. I’m thinking of getting a computer for it and run it pretty much headless as the backend of the MPC X in controller mode.
By 83dude Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:14 am
This mostly depends on your preference and what you're using the machine for. As a workstation, I'd always suggest a Mac. Nicer app design, less crappy software, very intuitive and unintrusive OS architecture, ease of use, and laptops with excellent displays other manufacturers are envious of. If you want to play games, too, don't get a Mac.

There is one factor, though, that made me drop Windows as audio workstations completely:

AudioCore > ASIO

– The drivers for AudioCore are better, show a bit less less jitter through optimized clocking and lower latencies. Generally, ASIO has twice the latency times as AudioCore does in comparable setups. Some DAWs come with their own engine, but ASIO is generally the bottleneck to have windows process your audio properly. This is sh*t during performances.

– Furthermore, AudioCore uses IAC (internal AudioCore, via Audio MIDI Setup, MIDI window), a protocol for handling MIDI information internally or via local (wi-fi) networks, which is a major plus.

– Another great advantage is macOS' capability to aggregate different interfaces, making it possible to "combine" different interfaces you use into a single, virtual one (via Audio MIDI Setup, MIDI window). For example, you can "merge" two interfaces having four inputs each into a single one with eight inputs, making it usable in your DAW as if it was just that.

I might add I am not saying PCs are unsuited for music production, but experience shows that they require specialized setups to be used in "proper" studio productions, rendering the perceived price difference between the two systems obsolete. If you're just jamming, get what fits your fancy.