MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By larrybossmon Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:41 pm
hey!

just a stupid question...

so im buying an mpc studio black off someone random, unit seems to work perfectly but

my question is once i install it, will i be able to update to software 2.0 or higher?

i feel like because its not the first time the unit is being installed, it wont let me upgrade and will probably charge me 300 for 2.0 etc..

so now im wondering if i should buy it at all because it might make me just use the very first software it came with.
By Lampdog Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 pm

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-studio-black#downloads.tab

MPC 2.7 Desktop Manual (13.36 MB)
MPC 2.8 Release Notes (85.14 kB)
MPC Studio Black Quickstart Guide v1.0 (6.12 MB)
MPC Studio Black 1.0.0 (WIN) (14.84 MB)
MPC Studio Black 1.0.0 (MAC) (542.93 kB)
MPC Studio Black Hi Res Images (7.48 MB)
MPC Software v2.8 User Guide (13.81 MB)

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-studio-black#description

MPC 2.0 NOW INCLUDED

We are pleased to announce that the critically acclaimed MPC Software 2.0 is now included with MPC STUDIO BLACK greatly enhancing the capability and functionality of these full-featured production solutions.

For existing owners of MPC Studio Black see your upgrade path here.

MPC Software 2.0 is a cutting-edge production suite combining 128-track sequencing capability, real-time time stretching, clip-launch functionality, advanced MIDI editing capability, VST compatibility in controller mode, operation as a standalone application on Mac & PC, advanced sampling & audio editing/recording functionality, seamless DAW integration, a redesigned GUI, Ableton Link Compatibility and much more. Whether you're seeking freedom from computer based music production, or searching for the perfect controller for DAW-centric creative exploration, MPC Software 2.0 grants the ultimate in adaptive creative versatility.

Whether you will be charged or not, contact Akai..
By Monotremata Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:03 am
Akai doesn't really care about registration. You can go steal pictures of a unit off Ebay or Craigslist and go register the serial number in your account, Akai won't even notice it. I think it saves them the headache of transferring or something, they have a 'rolling registration'. When you buy someone elses unit, you register it and all the software that comes with it shows up in your account. The old owner still has it all too, so everybody wins.

You get MPC 2.0 by default. The black Studio came with it, the silver one didn't. It shows up in your account as 'Free MPC 2 Upgrade' or something like that.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:51 pm
Monotremata wrote:When you buy someone elses unit, you register it and all the software that comes with it shows up in your account.

I bought a used, mint X, this was my experience. Worked out fine, no problem.