MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Mike Boogie Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:03 pm
Looks like Akai packed up MPC 2 and is giving it away now.
https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-beats

I can't find a comparison chart on the Akai site yet but it looks like MPC 2 for any MIDI controller.

There's really no need for the "legacy controllers" like the Ren, Studio, & Touch anymore.
By Drew Hamlett Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:48 pm
Yea maybe more of an Apple approach, where you give away the software to sell the hardware. But I guess MPC software is already free if you buy One or Live.
By El Guito Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:49 pm
I'm now utterly confused.

Do we get some benefit from the new software? Maybe MPC 2 will be discontinued in favor of this?

I'm hoping for some sort of better DAW integration from this, like maybe have multiple instances of the MPC Beats open in Logic and not having to save the MPC projects as their own thing when working in Logic, things I've been wrestling with on MPC 2 + Logic workflow.

This is a weird release :hmmm:
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:00 pm
Okay this is interesting. On the face of it it's MPC Software 2, it seems to have all the features including expansion import, VST/AU support, but only 8 sequencer tracks and 2 audio tracks. It's even got autosampler and all the really niche little features like keygroup file name tidy and legacy MPC export.

It actually seems to have too many features for a freebie, I can imagine many will 'almost' not need the full version and therefore might baulk at paying $200 just to unlock track number. There might be other missing stuff, but on the face of it, it just seems like tracks.

Edit: AU plugin instruments not showing for me, but VSTi work fine. AU FX work fine.
By Komatos Records Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:18 pm
I was just able to say, it sounds like the Ableton Live Lite I got when I got my MIDI controller keyboard way back when. That was/is still limited to 4 tracks plus a couple of other features.
By El Guito Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 pm
It does sound like MPC Lite quite a bit...

I hope they're working on 3.0 at the same time :nod:
By vwkountz Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm
Akai is realigning the business before the 3.0 paid upgrade shows up.

Then for 3.0 version forward offer Beat with the MPC hardware. Allowing for a upgrade path to Beat Premium or subscription because other DAW's are capturing new users this way (Ableton Lite, S1 Artist to name a few).

IMO

If It helps with development then cool bring on more updates
By JackJackdaw Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:38 pm
My one big question is, can you use the qwerty keyboard to enter sample names etc when using it as a VST plug in? It drives me nuts you can't do this in mpc 2.0.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:18 pm
JackJackdaw wrote:My one big question is, can you use the qwerty keyboard to enter sample names etc when using it as a VST plug in? It drives me nuts you can't do this in mpc 2.0.

Yes, can type in names from the computer keyboard, but I can do this with full MPC 2.8 plugin as well (on a Mac, perhaps that's relevant). The two apps are identical in all ways except the 8 MIDI track and 2 audio track limit.
By vwkountz Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:44 am
I'm preparing for the worst, but it only make sense because Akai has been doing updates on the quarterly bases. Since 2.0 arrived we can argue it was beta, but Akai has done some pretty amazing updates. IMO, a paid 3.0 wouldn't be out of the question, but the release of BEAT is a sign. The acquisition of Splice (subscription) and now free Software. Call me Nostradamus, lol, but something is about to change. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

A subscription service or Beat Premium software, but no more free full software with the MPC. If you want more then Beat you buy it and if your cool with Standalone you're good.