MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By JoJoBinks Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 am
Hey Y'all,
I'm returning to music making after twenty years getting distracted by life and "other responsibilities". Got myself a shiny new MPK mini MkIII and trying to get to grips with the MPC Beats software.

Back in the day I was more of a Steinberg user, and since then I've only dabbled with Reason briefly. All my knowledge seems to have made a little nest in an inaccessible part of my brain. So I'm working my way through the tutorial videos and a raft of YouTube videos and am now at serious risk of overwhelm.

Does anyone have any advice as to a learning path for a complete newbie? I'd rather have the option of skipping stuff I remember than miss out on vital knowledge that was assumed is basic understanding gained elsewhere by the tutorials....

Thanks!

ps if it helps, I'm coming at this from a songwriting angle - I'd use my old four-track, but cassettes ain't what they used to be :lol: studio access to our poor old Ampex is sadly no longer an option...
By 83dude Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:46 pm
Best way: RTFM.
Grab the manual(s) and try everything at least once. Even if you forget something afterwards, you‘ll remember having seen it once. Go pro. :mrgreen:
By bees80 Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:14 am
The biggest advice is: Just go make something.

It will probably be a lot of bad stuff (join the club!). But you will learn a lot!

Just start creating. That's where it's at.
By NearTao Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:55 am
Pick a simple goal like load a single sample, and learn to play it like an instrument...

or

Chop a breakbeat and flip it into a new beat

Just start simple, and keep learning to build on it. Pretty soon you'll go from making one bar boring loops to two bar slightly more interesting loops. Just take bees' advice and just do something... it's easy to get sucked into the YouTube vortex and never actually produce a single sound.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:09 pm
bees80 wrote:.....(join the club!).

Who you foolin, lol, I don’t believe you and this bad stuff club you say your in.....
By bees80 Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm
Lampdog wrote:
bees80 wrote:.....(join the club!).

Who you foolin, lol, I don’t believe you and this bad stuff club you say your in.....

Ha so maybe i should clarify: I think it's bad stuff. I'm pretty okay judging my own stuff, but i'm even better in hating on my own stuff :nod: :lol:
By Lampdog Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 pm
bees80 wrote:...but i'm even better in hating on my own stuff :nod: :lol:

This, is, me, all day, everyday.