MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Stadtrandkollektiv Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:17 pm
Hello guys,

I have an issue with my mpc software:
For the next weeks I have to use my old laptop with the mpc. Before I got my new computer half a year ago I used the mpc on this laptop and it worked (quite) fine. Today I started the software (I did not use the laptop since I exchanged it for the new computer) and chopped a simple drum loop. When I made out of three slices one bar of "boom boom bap, ts ts, boom bap" out of it (sorry my english is weak at the moment) it was played as "b- boom bap, - boom bap".Technically, slices are not played as intended, there is only a very very short click noise originating from the very beginning of the sample. When I export the 4 bars, they sound like the cr@p I just tried to explain. On other positions the samples are played as they should.
After some frustration I installed the latest drivers and all that, but I still have this issue.
Do you know that problem? How to solve? If it was possible to upload some screenshots directly to the forum I definately would do it, but in this case this shoud help too.
https://ibb.co/xfjrgVQ
https://ibb.co/Gxwm0vB
https://ibb.co/2NPBTQC at the spectogram you can see the missing of the sound. it should look all green

Thanks for help, and sorry for being emotional.

(Akai MPC software :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: man how can you release something that has so many bugs or is that user unfriendly that this kind of issues appear? I definately will check out ableton when I have the chance)
By Lampdog Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:26 pm
The program they are in, is it MONO? Are they cutting off each other?
Polyphony too low?
By Stadtrandkollektiv Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:14 am
Hi Lampdog,
thanks for the fast reply. Yes the program is mono (polyphony and no stereo channel), but the samples shouldnt be cutting themselves up... I am pretty sure I used this setup before as it is. I am a little confused: I set the polyphony from "mono" to "2" and voila - I have the sound I expected! How could this happen? Why are the samples are cutting each other off? They are not overlapping (at least a tiiiny bit at the end maybe).
This is very confusing to me. When I am back home at my new computer, this problem wouldnt occur...
Thanks Lampdog for solving, I am excited to understand the origin of the issue.

Edit: I switched it BACK from "2" to "mono" and the problem disappeared... This is so weird.
By Lampdog Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:47 pm
Stadtrandkollektiv wrote:Edit: I switched it BACK from "2" to "mono" and the problem disappeared... This is so weird.

That right there does sound weird, I would guess the problem was mono, but going back to mono it goes away?!

Maybe a balancing act between the pad being mono and the program being mono. Those are 2 separate settings. Also, check note on (hold pad to play) or one shot (tap pad and complete sample plays) setting. Depending on what you set sample play differently.

So again, remember to check out and experiment with:
program edit/modulation/note on
program edit/modulation/one shot
sample length in grid view
program edit/modulation/ mono-poly for pad
program edit/mono-poly for program
program edit/modulation/mute groups
main menu/pad perform (turn off)
By Stadtrandkollektiv Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:36 pm
Thanks for the diagnosis, I'm gonna try to find out what it was.

Sample length shouldnt be the problem, I checked it out,
I know how to set the polyphony of the program, but what about the pads? Can I set it at Pad mixer?

I tried to follow your instructions "program edit / modulation" but I could not find modulation, my mpc looks like this:

Anyways I am really glad you helped me with solving, the rest I will do to understand this miracle software... I guess if you grew up with an MPC it all makes some kind of sense, but I grew up on 6 strings :?