MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By JD13 Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:15 am
Hi folks, having an issue importing MIDI, and wondering if anyone can help. I use Microtonic for extra beats, however, despite creating a new plug-in track within my sequence, when I drag the MIDI file composition in, it gives me the option to either drag into "New Beats" i.e Sequence 1, (or Sequence 2, 3, 4 etc, which I don't want).

If I 'go ahead' and go place into my sequence (New Beats) it scrubs over the existing drums on track 1 (which is pads). This is DESPITE the Microtonic plug-in being set up on track 5. If I start a new project from scratch, and begin my sequence with the imported MIDI, it lets me create new drums from the pads on track 2 no probs'. Any ideas? Would really appreciate any help. Thanks
By JD13 Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:47 pm
Thanks for this, but I don't really understand why... or, for example I have just created the following as a test:

I created a new sequence.... For track 1 I have created a MIDI loop in Microtonic, dragged in loop. Then on track 2 I created program drum track using the pads. So this is track 1 and 2 of the same sequence. One is MIDI drum loop the second is program loop. And the two work fine side by side in that order. The MIDI drums on track 1 and the program drums on track 2.

However, as a test I have repeated the exact process... except this time, first in my sequence (track 1) I put the program drums, I then created a new track (track 2) and on that track tried to drag in a MIDI loop of shakers from Microtonic, at the point of dragging the loop in it only gives me the option to either start a new sequence or overwrite the first drum track. Bear in mind I am trying to drag the MIDI file into a separate track, track 2, into the piano roll. As per the example above (which works). I can understand why it would wipe if I was trying to pull it into track 1, but there should be an option that asks which track NOT which sequence I want to import my MIDI file into.
See, I don't want a new sequence, I just want to add some shakers from a different instrument as a new track on my existing sequence. Why would this not be possible, what is this difference between this and loading in any other MIDI plug-in and recording a part. Or, alternatively how do I play Microtonic into MPC Beats?

Thanks so much for any help that can be offered... appreciate it so much. This is a workflow I have done a thousand times in GarageBand, I am hoping to move to MPC software and find it frustrating that it doesn't seem possible to work in my usual (maybe weird) way.
By JD13 Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 am
There are a few YouTube posts about all this actually. But just to be clear, and it would be great to get Akai's input... if i have 8 tracks within a sequence (for example) I cannot drag in a MIDI drum loop from to be part of that mix because it would take precedence over all other parts? That seems a bit strange as adding MIDI loops is quite often an essential building block. I like to get a central beat set up and then create a loop in Microtonic to add a different feel, automate in and out. I do this in GarageBand. I was hoping to switch to MPC, but this creates a dead end.

What's the workaround? I'm a relative novice, it would be great to hear the thoughts of other more experienced programmers. Stay safe all...
By MPC-Tutor Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 am
It is an odd implementation, especially as you can drag an MPC 'pattern' file to a track, just not with MIDI files, it's always treated as an entire sequence.

One workaround is to drag it and create the new sequence. Then go to 'Edit > Sequence > Copy Events' and copy the events from the desired track to an empty track in your primary sequence. It's not ideal but it works. But yes, it makes dragging in many MIDI patterns an absolute ball ache.

The other workaround is to first convert the MIDI file to a pattern using this tool:

http://www.fentonia.com/catnip/midianmpc/index.html

You can then drag the pattern directly to an empty track in your seq.

BTW you won't get Akai's input here because Akai don't engage on this forum, this is purely an end-user forum.
By JD13 Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:04 am
Thanks very much for this, extremely helpful, I appreciate it. All the best, H