MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By heygorilla Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:02 pm
I just got a second hand Akai Force, because I'm keen to get a DAWless set up. It's nice, but HUGE, and stuck on the desk. I quite like it but I now wonder if I might be able to work well with an MPC Live II because I love things with battteries and speakers (OP1, Organelle..).

My worry is that the MPC worklow won't suit me. So which iOS or Mac app can I try that is most like an MPC Live?

I don't do dance music or hiphop, I mix organic live sounds with electronic, I like to record audio clips, process and loop them, accompanying them with CV and midi sequences, very much an Ableton workflow. So I'm not sure if the working practices will suit me!
By MPC-Tutor Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:24 pm
heygorilla wrote:Are the apps not basically the same but with annoying touch screen instead of nice real clicky knobs and buttons?

The MPC Beats app has all the same 'features', but without the hardware, the workflow is completely different. You will 100% definitely not want an MPC after using only the software. The hardware doesn't enhance the experience, it IS the experience, it's what sparks the creativity.

It's not a coincidence that most MPC hardware owners never even use the MPC Software, even though it's given to them for free.

At a bare minimum, you need to use the MPC software/MPC Beats with some kind of pad controller.
By heygorilla Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:04 pm
I get that, and I love hardward. I think I'm being lazy (gearlust research exhaustion) but it's hard to see what the workflow on MPC is like for triggering or switching loops on and off? With ableton / Force I know the territory. That's all I want to see for myself, the workflow for that on the app will be the same as an MPC live box, yes? (sending things back is a timesuck and although it's silly I don't like to inconvenience vendors).
By DokBrown Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 am
if u like ableton LIVE, I suggest u stick with THE FORCE.
While they both have the same PGMs and PLUGINs, the MPC is a much different beast.