MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Bigheaded Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:20 am
Latest MPC Software, my OS drive doesn't have a lot of free space so I decided to move the expansion directory to my other hard drive and create a symbolic link. After doing this, the software wouldn't open. No error or anything, just wouldn't start up. C+A+D I see an MPC process, so I rebooted and tried to open again, no dice, Then I uninstalled and reinstalled, still same problem. when I click on the MPC folder I made the symbolic link from (\programdata\akai\mpc) it shows all my expansions. I know Akai doesn't support moving the expansions to another drive, but for space reasons I didn't have much of a choice. Since the symbolic link is showing my expansions and it's the same name as the original, I'm confused why this isn't working.

I Googled this and a link saying symbolic links no longer work after version 2.9, which makes no sense how is the MPC software going to know the difference. But since it isn't working, there might be some truth to this. Anyone have any idea here? Googling isn't bringing up anything too helpful. Maybe there's something else I need to do I dunno.
By Bigheaded Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:51 pm
BostonGreen wrote:Could you not have used the export expansions feature on the MPC software? I haven't personally used it, but seems it's what you need?

No, that exports it to your attached MPC (One/Live/X) or to a location so you can manually put them on an MPC. I've never had Symbolic links cause a program to not work in Windows. Hell I've even used Symbolic Links to move my user directory to a different hard drive with no problems. And that had everything including my Window settings. I'm not understanding how the MPC software stops working when I do this, but as soon as I moved the MPC directory back to /programdata/akai/MPC and deleted the symbolic link it opened right up again. And the link was definitely done correct. But for whatever reason no dice here. If I opened a CMD window and typed "c:\programdata\akai\mpc" and did a DIR it listed all the expansions I had moved to my P drive. Truly one of the oddest things I've encountered.

Would be so simple for Akai to put an option into the software to allow the user to specify where they want the expansions installed. From Googling it looks like that won't happen though as people have been asking about how to do since the software 1st came out.