MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By kday Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:49 am
SakisX wrote:
Just extract your zip files anywhere inside your VST2 folder

Seems like a lot of random stuff to clutter up the many VSTs already in there. If no folder within the VST folder can contain all of the wrapper, it seems a little awkward. I may wait until Akai offer support.
By SakisX Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:54 pm
budayeen wrote:
SakisX wrote:
place the VST wrapper (the extracted files for the zip) on a folder ,inside your VST folder and it will automatically add to your DAW your VST3 plugins as VST2
There some issues like the classic GUI scaling problem , but it (mostly) works

Tried this with MPC Beats 2.10 and the VST3Shell plugins either fail to load or time out.

strange , it works for me , the wrapper scans the VST3 folder (not vst2) and MPC Software shows every VST3 plugin

kday wrote:
SakisX wrote:
Just extract your zip files anywhere inside your VST2 folder

Seems like a lot of random stuff to clutter up the many VSTs already in there. If no folder within the VST folder can contain all of the wrapper, it seems a little awkward. I may wait until Akai offer support.

I didn't understand the " If no folder within the VST folder can contain all of the wrapper" part
By mosspa Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:52 am
I purchased an MPC Live II today and I just finished installing the MPC software on my Windows 10 PC. When I saw that over 90% of my VST instruments and effects weren't installed for use in the MPC software, I wondered what was going on. I found this thread and I really can't believe what I'm reading here. Akai can't be serious in its failure to support VST3. How can they even think about selling the MPC Key 61, if it is so defective as to not be able to use the only VST format still supported by Steinberg.

From Steinberg's Jan 22 press release...

"The discontinuation of VST 2 marks the final step in the transition process to VST 3. Focusing solely on VST 3 will increase the stability of our products and allow us to fully leverage the advantages of the VST 3 platform.

As it stands, Steinberg hosts continue to offer VST 2 compatibility. Users of Mac computers with Apple silicon can continue to use VST 2 plug-ins under Rosetta 2.

Moreover, within the next 24 months, Steinberg's host applications and plug-ins across macOS and Windows will offer VST 3 compatibility only."

So now what? Akai has released a controller/workstation that doesn't support the VST format that is now the only variant supported by the VST format's creators? Give me a break. Whether or not people can work around this ridiculous oversight just makes the argument even stronger given the fact that Akai doesn't even provide a wrapper that they have verified to work. Also, it really makes me wonder about anybody who has attempted to defend this idiocy in this (or in any other) thread. I imagine that these people would also be satisfied paying $1000+ for a modern computer that will only boot if you find some archaic floppy disk that enables the BIOS to function. Give me a break!

When I bought into this obvious mistake, I did so thinking that any problem I would have in using the MPC would be in my ability to adopt the "MPC Workflow". Now, I realize that if I am going to get any use out of this investment, at all, it is going to require me to sacrifice about 25% of my plugins that have no VST 2 versions, and go back and install the VS2 versions for over 300 plugins I run in VST3 in my DAWs, if I can even find the installers. Talk about pathetic!

John 3
By kday Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:30 am
Just for an update. I got this vst3shell to work perfectly but the instructions are incorrect and confusing. So I simplified the whole process in two easy steps for anyone that might try to use the program and get confused.

All you have to do for this to work is

1. Extract the vst3shell_v1.2 zip in a folder.
2. Copy those 6 extracted vst3shell files to your VST3 folder with the vst programs you want to add and rescan the VST3 folder where your VST3 files are and you're done. They should show up after the scan as VST plugins.

The instructions had me putting the vst3shell files into the VST2 folder where it's not needed, by doing that you won't get it to scan with the vst3 files you want to add. Maybe it's an instructional error, but it causes major problems to follow the instructions that comes with the vst3shell wrapper.
By mike841 Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:08 am
Ditto.
I always check back every couple of months with my fingers crossed. But I fear Akai just isn't interested in VST3 compatibility. I think because most of their users work in Stand-Alone mode, and so there isn't a loud enough cry. But I'll keep my fingers crossed.
-mike

mosspa wrote:I purchased an MPC Live II today and I just finished installing the MPC software on my Windows 10 PC. When I saw that over 90% of my VST instruments and effects weren't installed for use in the MPC software, I wondered what was going on. I found this thread and I really can't believe what I'm reading here. Akai can't be serious in its failure to support VST3. How can they even think about selling the MPC Key 61, if it is so defective as to not be able to use the only VST format still supported by Steinberg.

From Steinberg's Jan 22 press release...

"The discontinuation of VST 2 marks the final step in the transition process to VST 3. Focusing solely on VST 3 will increase the stability of our products and allow us to fully leverage the advantages of the VST 3 platform.

As it stands, Steinberg hosts continue to offer VST 2 compatibility. Users of Mac computers with Apple silicon can continue to use VST 2 plug-ins under Rosetta 2.

Moreover, within the next 24 months, Steinberg's host applications and plug-ins across macOS and Windows will offer VST 3 compatibility only."

So now what? Akai has released a controller/workstation that doesn't support the VST format that is now the only variant supported by the VST format's creators? Give me a break. Whether or not people can work around this ridiculous oversight just makes the argument even stronger given the fact that Akai doesn't even provide a wrapper that they have verified to work. Also, it really makes me wonder about anybody who has attempted to defend this idiocy in this (or in any other) thread. I imagine that these people would also be satisfied paying $1000+ for a modern computer that will only boot if you find some archaic floppy disk that enables the BIOS to function. Give me a break!

When I bought into this obvious mistake, I did so thinking that any problem I would have in using the MPC would be in my ability to adopt the "MPC Workflow". Now, I realize that if I am going to get any use out of this investment, at all, it is going to require me to sacrifice about 25% of my plugins that have no VST 2 versions, and go back and install the VS2 versions for over 300 plugins I run in VST3 in my DAWs, if I can even find the installers. Talk about pathetic!

John 3
By MPC-Tutor Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:54 am
The VST3 issue is one of many long term issues that have been raised continually for many years now. When it comes to the MPC Software there are significantly less users out there, and all those on a Mac will just use the AU version, so this is probably why you don't see much complaining across social media.

Not sure how many plugin companies not supporting VST1/2 is enough to trigger Akai to look at VST3 support (maybe they already are, I don't know how hard it is to implement). Or maybe Akai would prefer everyone just use their own plugins?

I do wonder what the future is for the MPC Software.
By joegrant413 Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:29 pm
So how much hope do we have for MPC software reaching practically full compatibility VSTs?

My dream is to keep using the MPC Key 61 for everything. Right now, that doesn't include Falcon and a few other plugins. The other hope is if that's not the case, then I can run a DAW like Repear or Ableton with full compatibility with the Key 61 as a controller.