MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Mina Lord Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:27 am
Hello everyone!
The question in short: what MIDI messages does the MPC software send out to MIDI controllers? (name, type, ... as much detai as possible please). Or any other Message type and form the software sends out?

Situation:
I own the MPC2 software (and an MPC Live II) and want to add the APC40 mk2 for extra haptical control to my live set up. So essentially I want to be able to control the MPC software on my computer with the APC and get visual LED feedback on the APC. (I am using the clip launch pads on the APC in the Track Mute view of the MPC software to trigger tracks on and off, in addition later I would like to give the knobs different banks of functionality.)
When plugging in the APC to the computer I can MIDI map it in the MPC2 software fine, but I do not get an LED feedback on the pads.
To regain the LED feedback I decided to build a MAX MSP patch that lets the pads light up as they are pressed. (my very first one....)
Nevertheless, the LED feedback patch from MAX MSP and the MPC 2 software are not in sync as they are not communicating with each other at this moment. At this point, The APC is mapped to the MPC software AND seperate from that communcations, sends a note-on note-off signal to the Max patch.

So far the signal flow:
APC -> MPC Software -> controlling on/off of Tracks in track mute
+
APC -> MAX -> color of APC LEDS

With this patch I am able to change the color of each pad in the max patch (e.g. orange when track is playing, blue when it is off) . But it would be amazing if Max could receive information directly from the MPC software that tells it if a track is on or off and change the color according to that input.

** another idea of mine was to send the APC -> MAX MSP -> MPC software (so the MPC software gets its controls from MAX) that did work, BUT then suddenly I had to press every button twice to turn the Tracks off os again they were completly out of sync

I am now trying a signal flow in which the MPC software is supposed to send the information about the tracks (if they are on or off) back to the MAX8 patch that then lets the APC LEDs light up depending on if a track is on or off.
To do this I have activated the "to Max" output port in the MPC software.

Attempted Signal flow:
APC -> (sending in to) -> MPC software -> (sending out on midi output "to max 1"to ) -> MAX MSP (here I have a notein object that is set to receive midi from the "to max1" input)

Nevertheless in MAX I do not get any midi information I can use.
When the "to max 1" is selected as note in, and I press a button on the APC or even directly klick on the pads in the MPC software with my mouse, nothing comes in on the input in MAX.
I was wondering if someone could tell me if, and if yes what type of midi message or any other message, the MPC software sends out when a track is muted or unmuted etc

Or any other thing that could help me getting visual feedback from the MPC.
Thank you very much in advance and have a nice day!

p.s I have pictures and the patch I could share, but I dont understand how you do that on here