MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By whoiscgm Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:05 pm
Hi all!
Does anyone else have this issue?
I bought a new MacBook air and souped it up w 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage.

When I plug in either my headphones into the laptop, I have to manually change the output in MPC Software Settings.

EVERY TIME.

um im in my 40s and even back in the 1980s if you plugged in headphones into anything, the sound came automatically. How is this even possible?

I emailed support and they said they're working on it.

What kills me is my 6-year old MacBook that i had previously didn't have this issue. It's maddening.
By Seaninnj Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:18 pm
whoiscgm wrote:Hi all!

When I plug in either my headphones into the laptop, I have to manually change the output in MPC Software Settings.

EVERY TIME.

um im in my 40s and even back in the 1980s if you plugged in headphones into anything, the sound came automatically. How is this even possible?

What kills me is my 6-year old MacBook that i had previously didn't have this issue. It's maddening.

I don't see an issue. I would not want the default audio output in my DAW to change just because I connected another device. Then it becomes unpredictable....
By whoiscgm Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:20 pm
You clearly didn't understand the question.

When I plug in my headphones, the DAW keeps going through the speakers. Obviously by plugging in my headphones I want it to go to the headphones.

I do a lot of edits on my laptop away from my desk so this is pretty crucial.
By mrmarbury Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:22 pm
whoiscgm wrote:Hi all!

EVERY TIME.

I don't see this as an issue. Every daw I have ever used with macOS stays with the current setting. This is correct behaviour imho. When you plug in a new pair of headphones macOS registers it as a new audio device. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. For the daw there is no difference if this is just a pair of headphones, a new interface or anything else that can do audio. This is simple, stupid and the way it should be kept.
I would see it as a bug if the daw would switch to the newly plugged in device automatically. Because a daw should not decide for me what device I should use. I want to do that myself. Imagine playing live and plugging in phones and all of a sudden the club is silent. :Sigh:
Also the way daws work is that when you switch audio devices a lot of things can change. Unsupported bitrate, unsupported sample rate, higher/lower buffers and latencies, etc. Ableton Live for example would often crash on me when I tried to use phones for no good reason. Same for MPC Software. Always because the mic included in the phones I sometimes use has a wrong sample rate. Imagine that when there is an auto-switch. In general for switching audio IO devices the audio engine has to be reset every time. So you don't want to do that mid-session with audio playing. Because the audio artefacts such actions create will destroy amps and speakers if you forgot to add a limiter.
The correct way here is: stop playback -> plug phones -> setup phones -> hit play. It's similar to pulling the fader down before plugging/unplugging audio cables. Or switching off the amp/pulling volume down before switching on/off the mixer or any other gear connected to the amp ....just another thing to learn
Last edited by mrmarbury on Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By whoiscgm Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:49 pm
So neither of you use headphones.

And again, IT USED TO WORK THE WAY I WANT SO IT IS MADDENING NOW.

And neither of you have anything worthwhile to say and enjoy wasting my time.

Blessings!
By mrmarbury Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:03 pm
whoiscgm wrote:So neither of you use headphones.

And again, IT USED TO WORK THE WAY I WANT SO IT IS MADDENING NOW.

And neither of you have anything worthwhile to say and enjoy wasting my time.

Blessings!

Hol'up! Hol'up! Just giving you my impression on the topic and I am making music on a Mac since basically forever with HF on 99% of the time and always had to switch to the phones explicitly from the beginning when I am not using my interface at home. You do you but don't spit on people sharing their experience. We are all terribly sorry that it does not work as you would expect it to ... all right I was but now I am not anymore. But it is nothing that can be "fixed" because it's not a bug. And it's nothing unique to MPC SW ... it's the way it is.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:13 pm
On a Macbook, the headphones are considered a separate interface to the speakers and are only available when you plugin in a set of headphones, so it's effectively the same as adding an extra interface to your computer.

I am not aware of any DAW that would 'auto-switch' to the most recently added audio interface, that is not normal behaviour and I've personally never experienced this. It is normal behaviour to have to manually change audio preferences whenever you wish to switch to a different interface.

If I am working on my macbook and using headphones I expect to have to manually configure the MPC Software to use the headphone 'device' via preferences > audio, otherwise the MPC audio will continue to come through the speakers

BTW, no need to be rude, people are clearly trying to help and simply pointing out that what you want is simply not possible (by default at least). Perhaps on an older macbook the headphones were handled differently, but as it stands I am not aware of a way to get the MPC to auto switch tot he headphones. Perhaps there is something you can configure in macos (in audio midi settings), or an automator script etc.
By 83dude Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:28 am
Macs until 2021 handled both as one interface internally. This has changed in one macOS update (can‘t remember which). Since then, you can‘t use them interchangeably like you used to. So yes, this now is intended behaviour.