MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By Demsie Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:29 pm
Hi there,

I hope you are well. I bought a SD card from a mate with a few MPC Expansions on it and i'm trying to get these installed into my MPC Beats software.

All the guides I see recommend drag and drop the .xpn files iknto the browser and away you go. However the SD card doesn't contain any .xpn files. Each 'pack' is a folder with WAV files, .xpm xpj and sxq files.

If i look at the link https://support.akaipro.com/en/support/ ... -expansion

Does this mean I have Legacy samplepacks ?If so I don't have the following on my PC C:/ProgramData/Akai/MPC - do i need to create it myself then add all the file folders to this folder ?

Thanks, sorry for the long winded question but thought I'd give as much info as possible.

Thanks
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:34 pm
Most likely these were standalone expansions, which are effectively just a folder containing WAVs, XPM, sXQ, XPJ etc.

You can just copy these anywhere on your disk and browse to their location in the file browser (view > browser > file browser). From there, you can load files directly.

You could in theory recreate the expansion for MPC Beats if you have a copy of the expansion builder, which comes with the MPC Software trial. Then follow the guide here:
https://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-expansion ... ete-guide/
By Demsie Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:43 pm
Great thanks very much.

So what i've got... is that not a 'true' MPC expansion, like i'd get if i downloaded from the Akai site ?

I just need to use the file browser to load up induvidual sounds... will these not be assigned to each pad ? Essentially i've got a big list of sounds that I need to pick through ?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:52 pm
When it comes down to content there is no difference between an expansion and what you might call have previously called a 'sample pack'. Both can contain ready made kits, projects, sequences, patterns, instruments etc.

An 'mpc expansion' is just a sample pack folder that has been packaged into an installer that gives you the nice image in the browser, that's really the only difference. The XPJ you see is a project file, so this would load up a complete project (kits, sequences etc). an XPM is a program file which will load up a single kit or instrument and map the samples across the pads.

But for MPC Beats these are not easy-to-install expansions, but you can use all the content as per my previous post.