MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By slappymcallister Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:01 pm
Total newbie here....trying hard to read everything, watch every video I can before boring people with a question that has probably been asked a million times....sigh.

Before I get to my MAIN question...a few things...I create remixes and I've been using Audacity for years. It's done me quite well and I realize that there are probably "better" programs out there to use but being the old fart that I am...I've been reluctant to take weeks just to learn how to do what I can accomplish In Audacity in minutes - probably. So...I'm trying to expand my horizons...I have a keyboard (piano style that works with MPC) and have had MPC Beats on my computer forever....CAN someone create remixes using MPC beats? Again I know there are more popular programs out there but was just curious....ok, on to my actual, dumb question.

What key? If I'm working and creating a remix and trying to create all parts I need them to be in the same key. (In many cases the same key as the original song I'm remixing) I DO see "key range" (note min/note max) but not really sure if this is what I'm looking for...i.e. right now my screen is showing "key range C - 2 - G - 8 and I see note min and note max."

Seems like an easy question but I'm flummoxed.
By Planemo Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:36 am
slappymcallister wrote:What key? If I'm working and creating a remix and trying to create all parts I need them to be in the same key. (In many cases the same key as the original song I'm remixing)

I found the method in the below vid to be pretty good at helping me find the key of a sample/track. It rests a lot on your ears but for most of us folk we are pretty good at that even if you know zero music theory like myself.

Once you have set the key (in Pad Perform) in one program on the MPC, any other new program you create will automatically be in the same key in which is helpful although I always write down stuff like this in a scruffy 'MPC log folder' which is nothing more than an A4 paper folder with a track title at the top of the page and then simple notes about the song such as BPM, key, what stage the track is at (I usually have 15+ on the go at any one time so I forget), what samples I have used, what else is needed to do etc. Just a running log of where the song is at. If anything it might help if I accidentally lose/forget to back up the data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGggf0k ... ure=shared