Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By abc Tue May 20, 2014 10:59 am
Been thinking its time to pick up a turntable. I'd mostly use it for recording samples but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get something that can be used for scratching should I buy a mixer later down the line (I won't need it for recording into the Mpc because I got a usb convertor for records. Anybody got any suggestions on what to look for when shopping or models?
By Funkydrops Tue May 20, 2014 11:30 am
abc wrote:Been thinking its time to pick up a turntable. I'd mostly use it for recording samples but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get something that can be used for scratching should I buy a mixer later down the line (I won't need it for recording into the Mpc because I got a usb convertor for records. Anybody got any suggestions on what to look for when shopping or models?

Latest reloop with high-torque... another super OEM.
By JVC Tue May 20, 2014 2:26 pm
Obviously Technics SL1200 Mk2 would be the best choice, hands down.
Maybe you can find Technics SL1200 Mk2 in used market, like in Craigs List, etc. Remember, resale values for Technics SL1200 Mk2 are very high, so in the future you decide to sell it, most likely you'll be able to find buyer, the same can't be said to other turntables. (I was able to sell a SL1200 Mk2 with metal casing bent(!) on ebay long time ago. SL1200 Mk2 was still in production that time.)
But I think you are looking for cheaper option. I've checked a Stanton direct drive model, and it was pretty decent, but it still cost like $300, and resale value is not high, as far as I know.
By konc3pt Tue May 20, 2014 3:03 pm
I'm using basic numark t200 for years no problem, always been wanting technics so that's what I'd recommend. they built to last and hold up value if not go up
By Ian Canefire Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 pm
Also I wanted to note a few other things. For some reason people equate higher cost with better product and they also let myth and lore mess around with their mental.

I have been friends with DJs my whole life. Most have used Technics in one form or the other. In 2002, I became a convert of the Stanton STR8 100. Don't listen to the people on review forums because the things I've read are "sullbhit".

One dude out there wrote about the tables not staying in time. False, maybe that was one abused set.

Another stated the pitch correction is bad. False. Watch my youtube video on the Amen break and the MPC4000.

An asian professional DJ friend got me hip to the Stanton torque power. You hit play it smacks up quick like a needle in a vein.

If you decide to get into scratching the straight tone arm works well.

I know I typed all this up and you are still going to have people who have only used one brand try to tell you to stick with technic. Try both. I am surprised their isn't a youtube quality comparison video

Peace
Ian
By abc Wed May 21, 2014 2:08 am
Thanks for all the response, would have been helpful but I had to go to Best Buy today and ended up buying a shitty 100$ one while I was there. Probably should have waited but I've been buying a lot of shit online lately and I don't think I could handle waiting another six days for something I want today :oops: :lol: .
By RepRSP Wed May 21, 2014 4:45 pm
1210 will be a great joice if you can afford it. great options for modding the table, see www.varyturn.com
By mastasteez Wed May 21, 2014 4:58 pm
I bought an entry level DJ package 5 years ago for £150. Came with 2 decks and 1 shitty ass mixer.

The mixer packed in a long time ago but the turntables still going strong. I even have the original needles intact but swapped them out for some Ortofons.

Although I'd love a pair of Technics I can't warrant paying that sort of dough when what I have works just fine. Only thing it lacks is USB connection but I get by jut fine without it.

If you only want one for sampling and listening purposes to begin with, what to have is just fine. Scratching might not be so enjoyable though but I'll let a pro tell you that.
By JVC Wed May 21, 2014 5:15 pm
I have SL-1200 mk 2 for more than 2 decades (almost 3 decades), so I'm very much attached to SL-1200 mk 2s.
Cheap DJ Mixers would come and go (espacially that crappy Gemini Scratch Master mixer!), but my SL-1200 mk 2s had never let me down.
In NY / NJ area, there are always postings for SL-1200 mk 2 in Craig's List, usually asking for around four hundred bucks.
I remember that the Stanton turntable was pretty good, notably quick start and torque of the turntable.
I'd recommend S-shape tone arm version. S-shape tone arm version is supposed to be better sounding and easy on vinyl.
By Serattic Thu May 22, 2014 8:45 pm
What Funkydrops said! Look/read into super OEM.
Lotta brands making these. hella sturdy, highest torque around, if you wanna go scratching sometimes, and nice options that help you get creative when sampling like, 33/45/78 and 10,20 and 50% pitch control, also reverse playback!
By abc Fri May 23, 2014 10:10 am
2 NUMARK TT-1700s or 2 Stanton T.62 T62 Direct Drive turntables? Is super OEM a brand or a feature?
By Funkydrops Fri May 23, 2014 11:28 am
abc wrote:2 NUMARK TT-1700s or 2 Stanton T.62 T62 Direct Drive turntables? Is super OEM a brand or a feature?

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/super-oem-turntable-platform.59743/

Briefly, it's based on the Stanton ST.150 design and it's done by an OEM manufacturer in RPC.

A lot of brands sell them with their own external layout, but it's basically the same TT.

They go for cheap, are sturdy as hell, can be easily serviced by any generic HIFI center (they are indeed very common) and have top-edge features... check them up.