22%
11%
33%
33%
N/A
N/A
By Xandre Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:26 pm
Hey, wassup?

I just have a few questions, seeing as my original turntable set up, consisting of American DJ TTD-2500 MK II turntables, which my mom bought for me 17 years ago, is now showing signs of failure, I will soon be on the look out for new turntables, either brand new or used.

However, a lot has changed since 2001, mainly the fact that Technics no longer manufactures the iconic SL-1200/SL-1210 line...

My question is what turntable should I buy if Technics 1200s/1210s are too expensive or hard to come by? Are any other brands besides Technics worth it? I really want a Technics but they're usually too expensive for me. How does the Pioneer PLX-1000 measure up to a SL-1200? Are Numark turntables any good? Stanton ST.150 M2 looks interesting, should I fux with it?

Also, is buying turntables used generally OK? Are there any issues I should worry about when buying used? My American DJs are 17 years old and they now output garbage sound. Thanks.
By RepRSP Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:09 pm
hi,

https://www.technics.com/de/produkte/hi ... serie.html

new models out for some time now. can´t tell from expierience if they are suitable for deejaying purposes or not, but there´s some reviews on the net. unfortunately they are a lil expensive.

also, used classic 1210s you can still buy, prices gon up a bit tho I guess, but if you are lucky you could get one for under 400 if that is not out of your budget.

1210s are known to be long lasting they are solid build and also quite good sounding turntables, considering they´re also a piece of music history I say they are worth the investment, but that´s my personal point of view.

can´t speak on the other models you mentioned in comparison, but I can really recommend a 1210, also if you buy it a used unit.
By Lampdog Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:16 pm
Xandre has Dj Quik as an avatar, SAFE AND SOUND which I STILL bump in my car to this day.
It's one of those albums that is mixed, mastered and musically genius imo. Good taste in music Xandre.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:15 pm
RepRSP wrote:hi,

https://www.technics.com/de/produkte/hi ... serie.html

new models out for some time now. can´t tell from expierience if they are suitable for deejaying purposes or not, but there´s some reviews on the net. unfortunately they are a lil expensive.

also, used classic 1210s you can still buy, prices gon up a bit tho I guess, but if you are lucky you could get one for under 400 if that is not out of your budget.

1210s are known to be long lasting they are solid build and also quite good sounding turntables, considering they´re also a piece of music history I say they are worth the investment, but that´s my personal point of view.

can´t speak on the other models you mentioned in comparison, but I can really recommend a 1210, also if you buy it a used unit.

Denon DJ VL12 is nice
By Xandre Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:59 pm
Lampdog wrote:Xandre has Dj Quik as an avatar, SAFE AND SOUND which I STILL bump in my car to this day.
It's one of those albums that is mixed, mastered and musically genius imo. Good taste in music Xandre.

Thanks Lamp! I feel we'd have a lot in common if we ever kicked it. Cheers!
By tapedeck Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:29 pm
i'd keep waiting for a used pair of techs. the stanton 150s are probably the next i'd look at.

but with enough scouring and quick action, you can find a good deal on used techs.
By JUKE 179r Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:53 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Denon DJ VL12 is nice

I'm old school and will always prefer the Technics 1200/1210... but... that Denon VL12 has some great reviews and is very dope.
By JVC Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 pm
Xandre wrote:...
I just have a few questions, seeing as my original turntable set up, consisting of American DJ TTD-2500 MK II turntables, which my mom bought for me 17 years ago, is now showing signs of failure, I will soon be on the look out for new turntables, either brand new or used.
Also, is buying turntables used generally OK? Are there any issues I should worry about when buying used? My American DJs are 17 years old and they now output garbage sound. Thanks.

What's the issue with the turntables exactly? Is it issue with platter (does not spin in consistent RPM) or it would drop out one channel or both?
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:16 pm
JVC wrote:What's the issue with the turntables exactly? Is it issue with platter (does not spin in consistent RPM) or it would drop out one channel or both?

It's an American DJ TTD-2500 MK II. :lol: Sorry could not help it.
By JVC Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:06 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
JVC wrote:What's the issue with the turntables exactly? Is it issue with platter (does not spin in consistent RPM) or it would drop out one channel or both?

It's an American DJ TTD-2500 MK II. :lol: Sorry could not help it.

I know!, but I would say that OP must have taken care of the turntables well... It's 17 years of constant usage !?
They are from OP's parent, so if I were him, I'd try to repair or restore them.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:19 pm

My father gave me a pair of TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 from 1981 and the only thing I've changed are the RCA cables and needles. The repair would cost more than the turntables are worth ON THAT American DJ turntable.
By JVC Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:41 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:My father gave me a pair of TECHNICS SL-1200MK2 from 1981 ...

Wow nice!
CharlesRandolph wrote:... and the only thing I've changed are the RCA cables and needles. The repair would cost more than the turntables are worth ON THAT American DJ turntable.

I bought my pair new on mid 90s', and they still work as they were new. I did have to replace the original RCA plugs though.
Oh, I had to replace one of the tonearm, because ceiling came down and hit the table and smashed the tonearm.
By JUKE 179r Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am
Duuuuude.... Technics 1200's and 1210's are sooooooooooo easy to work on. I can take one apart blind folded.
Too easy...
By Coz Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:35 am
tapedeck wrote:the stanton 150s are probably the next i'd look at.

I've had a STR8-150 Mk1 for several years and I think it was originally bought in 2005. Nice solid deck with shit loads of torque. I think I may have accidentally cleaned it with vinyl cleaner as the buttons get a recurring stickiness to the touch where the coating is breaking down. :oops:

Jibber who used to post on here claimed the Technics blew away the Stanton for sound quality. Not sure how accurate that is? I wouldn't use any DJ turntable as an audiophile playback device anyway.