Dedicated to all things DJing from gear, tricks, tips, mods, news and reviews
By dabmeister Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 pm

Grabbed a new set of JBL double 18" subs. Looking to add a Crown XTi 6002 amp to run these joints. I know I don't hang around the site like I use to, but I rarely see any "live" setups around here...mostly bedroom sets.
By DokBrown Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:25 pm
Once we finish relocating to Baltimore & get school sorted out, a live setup and YA mastering are my top 2 goals. That looks like its gonna be juicy . . . .

I had to downsize when I lost my studio space.
right now, I just have the peavey KB4 & truck sound system as my main testing ground
By dabmeister Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:57 pm
DokBrown wrote:Once we finish relocating to Baltimore & get school sorted out, a live setup and YA mastering are my top 2 goals. That looks like its gonna be juicy . . . .

I had to downsize when I lost my studio space.
right now, I just have the peavey KB4 & truck sound system as my main testing ground

I only grabbed these subs because it was a deal better than going the route of retail. Already have a pair of JBL JRX single subs. Met a guy on CL who's selling various live sound gear such as amps, new speakers, keyboards, etc. I did my research before committing to the sale but realized I'll need a more powerful amp to push these joints...at least 2k watts. The biggest amp I've got can only push 650 watts 4 ohm stereo, 2400 bridge mono. He's got a Crown XTi 6000 for sale, but what he's asking ($1200) I can get a used newer 6002 for less. Looking to get involved with some DJ'n gigs this summer.
By dabmeister Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:24 pm
OMG! I unboxed one speaker yesterday and set it up along side my EV 2 way speakers and was blown away when I played them. Keep in mind I tried this outside, but these joints will shake the foundation of your home. I ran it bridged from my QSC rmx 2450a amp and could only get it to 3.5 on the volume knob before the quake shaking became unbearable. I mean there's no comparison to the single 18" subs I use. The trade off is def worth it.
By dabmeister Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:27 am

Gave the neighborhood a mini July 4th Vybe Band classic concert. Some family stopped by and thought a live band was actually playing in the back yard...lol
By DokBrown Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:56 pm
dabmeister wrote:Gave the neighborhood a mini July 4th Vybe Band classic concert. Some family stopped by and thought a live band was actually playing in the back yard...lol

U takn me back to Crenshaw & Venice circa 1996, those were good times . . . . .

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... sey-hussle

https://www.lamag.com/mag-features/world-on-wheels/
By dabmeister Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 pm
DokBrown wrote:
dabmeister wrote:Gave the neighborhood a mini July 4th Vybe Band classic concert. Some family stopped by and thought a live band was actually playing in the back yard...lol

U takn me back to Crenshaw & Venice circa 1996, those were good times . . . . .

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... sey-hussle

https://www.lamag.com/mag-features/world-on-wheels/

8) That's what's up.
By dabmeister Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Well, my dilemma now is I've got to grab a high powered amp to drive these "commercial grade" speakers. After really checking out the specs, these joints are rated 2000 continuous, 4000 program, and 8000 peak watts each cabinet :shock:

Really hate to have to buy another high priced amp, but if I have to, oh well. :roll:

I just purchased another amp to drive just one cab but doubt if it's really enough to get the full potential out of these things. At best I'll use just one cab running bridge mono from the amp which will put out 2700 watts @ 8 ohms. I'm experimenting to see how much I can get these joints to "thump" at their full potential.
By terry towelling Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:16 am
congrats on your purchase. no mucking around there, they are big solid units. they look fantastic. I bet they sound so good.
our crew has a sound system, but it hasn't been used in nearly two years now. it just sits there giving off a funky stink from past parties.

a mate just bought a nice big sound system...we're still all pretty much unvaccinated in Australia, and there's still no partying, so sound systems are going cheap. now he just has to find somewhere to store the beast.
By dabmeister Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:23 pm
terry towelling wrote:congrats on your purchase. no mucking around there, they are big solid units. they look fantastic. I bet they sound so good.
our crew has a sound system, but it hasn't been used in nearly two years now. it just sits there giving off a funky stink from past parties.

a mate just bought a nice big sound system...we're still all pretty much unvaccinated in Australia, and there's still no partying, so sound systems are going cheap. now he just has to find somewhere to store the beast.

Thanks TT, Yeah that's the idea of taking advantage of a situation such as this pandemic. Some need to sell, and some have the resources to buy. Things are on the up & up when it comes to live entertainment here in the states. Folks are eager to get their party on after a year and a half of being secluded. I'm actually in a similar situation where I'm short of storage space and have these cabinets stored at a friend's house. I really never elaborated on the fact that I do some DJ'n when ask to. So aside from the studio stuff, I enjoy cranking sounds and feeling the beat when I get the opportunity to do so.
By dabmeister Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:46 am

Been two years since I purchased the Pioneer. Haven't used it much since I got it. Itching to put it to use when I get my amp situation settled. Waiting on another Crown amp to arrive...a used XTi 6002. Got some practicing to catch up on, lol.
By dabmeister Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:16 am

Grabbed this off of eBay a few days ago. Was listed as "unable to test" because they didn't have the correct power cord to check it out. I know, I gambled and lucked up on getting this cheap (under $500) and at least in working condition. But I said to myself that I wasn't going to pay $2500 for a new amp after just purchasing a new XLI 3500 series a week ago. I was shocked it powered on considering the way the front looked, and this amp only weighs 25 lbs.

Anyhow, I had to straighten a few minor things on the chassis and then contacted Crown to order a new front panel and front overlay. Those two parts will be here in about a week so I can make it look pretty again.

This joint will run those double 18's and some.
By dabmeister Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:58 pm
Now for your informative & up to date news...

The shipping of electronic goods/parts from the far east has been extremely slow most of this year.

:Sigh:
By dabmeister Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:58 am

Acquired another Crown amp except this one is "new". Still waiting on my faceplate to arrive for the other amp which has been on back order for almost a year and a half.

Covid has really jacked up the supply chain...I actually thought I was getting my order a month ago. But it was too good to be true when I contacted Crown and they changed their ship out date to the beginning of next year.

:WTF: :?