MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By fancy_pance Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:04 am
In 2.3, is it yet possible to change the time signature in standalone without doing an ‘add bars’ operation?
By Cockdiesel Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:06 am
Damn missed out on the good shit.
Ah well, with auto sampler in standalone I’m going to have a lot of synths up for sale.

Guess the best partner to the MPC Live is the analog heat now to give some life to that digital synth they got going on.
By Danoc Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:40 am
If Akai makes more synths and plugins then guess what? PDC can be around the corner ;-) :-D

Fanu wrote:I understand how some ppl are bummed that their much-requested features did not get fixed etc…I am too.
However, this can show that Akai can come up with some biggies and push the MPC forward.
I saw them say on their FB as a comment that they'll be developing more instrument/plugin content.
One can guess that they'll be working on small stuff next…biggies like this probably take a lot of time.
Still, would be nice to see that basic useability stuff get fixed proper.
By Eyalc Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:48 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Damn missed out on the good ****.
Ah well, with auto sampler in standalone I’m going to have a lot of synths up for sale.

Guess the best partner to the MPC Live is the analog heat now to give some life to that digital synth they got going on.

I wouldn’t give away your synths man. The problem with autosampling is that you have two basic approaches. The first is to sample every C note for example, and pitching the sample across the rest of the octave to fill in the keygroup program. That saves space and time. However if the synth patch has any kind of modulation, when you pitch the auto-sampled sample across the octave, the modulation is off. It works fine if you’re just sampling a bass note. But a patch with modulation... won’t work so well.

The way around that is to sample each and every note, which results in a massive keygroup program - possibly creating memory issues.

Now grain of salt - I haven’t used this new functionality yet, so maybe it’s different. But those were the challenges with Redmatica Autosampler back in 2005. I would keep your synths around IMO. You may find what many people found back in the Redmatica days - it works for simple patches, but not complex ones.

I’ve seen a few people across different boards talking about getting rid of their synths, but this technology won’t replace synths. Back in 2005 it couldn’t, and I doubt it will now. It’s just a convenience is all.
Last edited by Eyalc on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JeriKo Jackson Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:03 am
Scott Righteous wrote:Has anyone tested yet how much memory the instrument plug-ins take up?
Not sure I would use them if they ate up more of that shrinking 2G.

I had 4 plugin tracks, 3 drum tracks, a clip program and was around 35 - 40% with the sequencer running
By dflat57 Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:23 am
Eyalc wrote:
Cockdiesel wrote:Damn missed out on the good ****.

I wouldn’t give away your synths man. The problem with autosampling is that you have two basic approaches. The first is to sample every C note for example, and pitching the sample across the rest of the octave to fill in the keygroup program. That saves space and time. However if the sample has any kind of modulation, when you pitch the sample across the octave, the modulation is off. It works fine if you’re just sampling a bass note. But a patch with modulation... won’t work so well.

The way around that is to sample each and every note, which results in a massive keygroup program - possibly creating memory issues.

Now grain of salt - I haven’t used this new functionality yet, so maybe it’s different. But those were the challenges with Redmatica Autosampler back in 2005. I would keep your synths around IMO. You may find what many people found back in the Redmatica days - it works for simple patches, but not complex ones.

I’ve seen a few people across different boards talking about getting rid of their synths, but this technology won’t replace synths. Back in 2005 it couldn’t, and I doubt it will now. It’s just a convenience is all.

I'm not going to sell any of my many Keyboards, but the thought of being able to leave my laptop and heavy keyboards and just carry the Live excites me!!!
By Danoc Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:10 am
LOL LMAO
Bymember04959388 Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:10 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The one's who complain the most, typically makes the least amount of music. :lol: :lol:

Yes guys you are right but try to understand that after more then a year we still have features that simply don't work.
Clip mode first of all.
I agree that dreaming about new features and pretending Akai implement them for you its just a useless approach.
I don't care much about sidechain or disk streaming or whatever but clip mode is on Live from the beginning and never worked right.
That's not so nice.
Ok I don't see many people complaining about that, maybe not so many people use clips on Live, but why do you put a clip mode if you don't make it work right?
By MPC-Tutor Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:25 pm
While autosampler is a cool feature, it isn't an all encompassing solution. Not all patches multisample well, plus the looping option doesnt seem very practical as I believe it doesnt find the best look points for you, so you still have to locate a suitable region which requires skill and experience, even dedicated auto looping software is hit and miss in this regard .

I'm already seeing a lot of people bemused as to why their sustain loops aren't somehow magically perfect and they think the xfade is going to somehow fix a poorly executed loop.

Autosampler seems fine for simple synth sounds, just sample a single layer for a few seconds at 5 semi tones to keep the memory usage down and maybe add a velocity sensitive filter to your program afterwards.

But it isnt going to replace properly built mutisample programs with manually created seemless loops and careful memory optmisation.

Am expecting an absolute deluge of terribly looped, memory eating expansions flooding the market next week.
By justineastwick Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm
In future plugin updates, I would like to hopefully see Akai implement a drum synth plugin, much like Propellerhead Reason’s Kong Drum Designer.

However, these three plugins are amazing. Can’t wait to see what kind of user-generated sounds you guys come up with!
By CharlesRandolph Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm
Frisbi wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:The one's who complain the most, typically makes the least amount of music. :lol: :lol:

Yes guys you are right but try to understand that after more then a year we still have features that simply don't work.
Clip mode first of all.
I agree that dreaming about new features and pretending Akai implement them for you its just a useless approach.
I don't care much about sidechain or disk streaming or whatever but clip mode is on Live from the beginning and never worked right.
That's not so nice.
Ok I don't see many people complaining about that, maybe not so many people use clips on Live, but why do you put a clip mode if you don't make it work right?

Before the clip mode things. I would just make tons of sequences and programs. Then switch between them. I could use pad mute, switch to another track and play drums or other sounds.

Nevertheless if clip mode is how you want to work, best use ableton live, that is what it excels at. MPC Live is rudimentary compared to AL in that aspect. Perhaps in future updates, they will focus on certain sections.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:10 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:While autosampler is a cool feature, it isn't an all encompassing solution. Not all patches multisample well, plus the looping option doesn't seem very practical as I believe it doesn't find the best look points for you, so you still have to locate a suitable region which requires skill and experience, even dedicated auto looping software is hit and miss in this regard .

I'm already seeing a lot of people bemused as to why their sustain loops aren't somehow magically perfect and they think the xfade is going to somehow fix a poorly executed loop.

Autosampler seems fine for simple synth sounds, just sample a single layer for a few seconds at 5 semi tones to keep the memory usage down and maybe add a velocity sensitive filter to your program afterwards.

But it isnt going to replace properly built mutisample programs with manually created seemless loops and careful memory optmisation.

Am expecting an absolute deluge of terribly looped, memory eating expansions flooding the market next week.

I agree. Auto sampler is a great tool, so we don't have to manually press each key. However, it should never take over the housecleaning part of sound creations.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.