MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:12 pm
No Idea where to post this, but it may be a nice keyboard for those with an MPC LIVE!

Price: £799.99
US: $1000.00 (Maybe Less)

Connectors:

(2) 5 pin MIDI DIN connectors
(2) 1/4 (6.35 mm) TRS Expression pedal jacks (continuous)
(1) 1/4 TRS sustain pedal jack (continuous)
(2) 1/4 TRS Main Outputs
(2) 1/4 Aux Outputs
(1) USB 2.0 Type-B port
(1) Power adapter input

Features:

88-key velocity-sensitive, graded hammer-action keyboard with aftertouch
On-board 4 output USB Soundcard with 2 TRS Aux and 2 TRS main outputs
MIDI-In and MIDI-Out connectors for connection to sound modules, sequencers and more
3 variable pedal inputs (standard footswitch and variable pedal compatible)
Transpose, Split and Preset selection controls
Dedicated volume control for precise adjustment of Main, Aux and Headphone outputs
Integrated road-ready travel case, carry handle

Specifications:

Power: Via USB or power adapter (6VDC, 1A, center-positive) sold separately
Dimensions (width x depth x height): 55.0" x 14.5" x 6.7" / 1399.2 x 369 x 171mm
Weight: 62.1 lbs / 28.3kg

The Akai MPK Road 88; a super hard-wearing MIDI keyboard controller designed and built for the travelling performer. Don't be fooled by the MPK Road 88's tough, low-profile outer shell though because this brilliant device has all the capabilities of a regular MIDI keyboard controller, including an in-built soundcard to store and integrate your virtual instrument library; three variable pedal inputs for increased versatility during your performance; and a velocity-sensitive keybed that gives you the real-feel of a classic piano. This all comes with a handy carry-case that will keep the Akai MPK Road 88 safe from knocks and bumps, making it easy to carry while looking smart and professional.

VIDEO:
By Eyalc Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 pm
Yet another product independent of the potentially integrated Akai ecosystem. Why not at least make this part of the Advance line? People that need an 88 key controller, already have an 88 key controller. I don't think the world needs ANOTHER one to choose from. Integrated carry case / handle is I guess what differentiates it. :WTF: Like putting your keyboard in a flight case is that challenging.

I'm sorry, but really liking Akai can be so frustrating sometimes. All that space at across the top. Such a wasted opportunity to create the MPC experience with a keyboard form factor. I know, I sound like a broken record. But this feels more like an inventory dump than anything - like those MPC Element things were a few years ago.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 pm
Eyalc wrote:Yet another product independent of the potentially integrated Akai ecosystem. Why not at least make this part of the Advance line? People that need an 88 key controller, already have an 88 key controller. I don't think the world needs ANOTHER one to choose from. Integrated carry case / handle is I guess what differentiates it. :WTF: Like putting your keyboard in a flight case is that challenging.

I'm sorry, but really liking Akai can be so frustrating sometimes. Such a wasted opportunity to create the MPC experience with a keyboard form factor. I know, I sound like a broken record.

It's 62 pounds, so I'm not trying to carry it around. The cool thing is it's USB powered and it has a built in sound card. So you could run the usb to the Live or X for power and midi, patch the audio out of the X/Live into the AUX of the keyboard, and send the audio out to where you want.

Connect the MPK ROAD 88, to the MPC LIVE while in battery mode. Would cut down on the spaghetti.
By Eyalc Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:58 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Eyalc wrote:Yet another product independent of the potentially integrated Akai ecosystem. Why not at least make this part of the Advance line? People that need an 88 key controller, already have an 88 key controller. I don't think the world needs ANOTHER one to choose from. Integrated carry case / handle is I guess what differentiates it. :WTF: Like putting your keyboard in a flight case is that challenging.

I'm sorry, but really liking Akai can be so frustrating sometimes. Such a wasted opportunity to create the MPC experience with a keyboard form factor. I know, I sound like a broken record.

It's 62 pounds, so I'm not trying to carry it around. The cool thing is it's USB powered and it has a built in sound card. So you could run the usb to the Live or X for power and midi, patch the audio out of the X/Live into the AUX of the keyboard, and send the audio out to where you want.

Connect the MPK ROAD 88, to the MPC LIVE while in battery mode. Would cut down on the spaghetti.

Yeah USB powered is cool.

Here's what I don't understand though... Why run audio from the Live or X (or any source) into this thing, then route it to where you want... instead of just routing the audio from the Live or X (or any source) directly to where you want? I don't get it.

And yes I agree cutting down on the spaghetti is always nice. Though giving us the MPC brain with a keyboard form factor would eliminate the spaghetti all together - well, except for power of course. HELLO AKAI!!!!!!!

Cool catch to find this though man!
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:22 pm
Eyalc wrote:Yeah USB powered is cool.

Here's what I don't understand though... Why run audio from the Live or X (or any source) into this thing, then route it to where you want... instead of just routing the audio from the Live or X (or any source) directly to where you want? I don't get it.

And yes I agree cutting down on the spaghetti is always nice. Though giving us the MPC brain with a keyboard form factor would eliminate the spaghetti all together - well, except for power of course. HELLO AKAI!!!!!!!

Cool catch to find this though man!

That patch would be, in case you don't want to fuss, with MPC's volume knobs. Also since the volume knob on the MPK is above the pitch wheel. That could lead to some volume knob effects while playing with your melody hand.

Or

You could connect another keyboards out, to the aux in. (Assuming the AUX are inputs.)

Or

If you have an effects box/pedal going into the AUX. Then we could send, lets say, a piano instrument out of the MPC's 3/4 output to that effect box. This way the effects box has it's own control. Then you could patch the Main outs of the MPC separately. :lol:
By jeff lick Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 am
They are positioning themselves to make money. They do not care what we want. The days of the iconic cult followed 4000 is over. I say let your money speak and buy used 4000. Then soon enough sales plummet and they get the message. A MPC with 49 keys would be nice but doubt it happens soon.
By SupremeSoulstice Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:37 am
jeff lick wrote:They are positioning themselves to make money. They do not care what we want. The days of the iconic cult followed 4000 is over. I say let your money speak and buy used 4000. Then soon enough sales plummet and they get the message. A MPC with 49 keys would be nice but doubt it happens soon.

Bro, no offense, but you sound like a young broke dude. You have an MPC at all? I seen you were looking at a Touch, You did tell folks to get a Maschine cause Ni's plastic stuff is cheaper. Cats here know what they're getting when the make their purchase for the most part. The majority of us have owned multiple MPC's. Not our first rodeo G.
By jeff lick Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 am
Dude, I am 59 years old. Was a pro musician in 70's-80's. I too have multiple MPC's. I have the X. You could not really argue I prefer the 4000 for my beat making? For the record I never "told" anyone whatsoever what to get. I said YMMV. I personally am going to try Maschine. Simply because I did not feel the X was worth what I paid for what I got. You must realize in 6 months there will be another MPC and everyone will be doing this all over again. Many agreed with me too. As I said I do not have an issue with X. Just the price/performance ratio. I am by no means a broke kid. I am not filthy rich either TBH. No need to insult me, and you were the first person here to do so. Also, the MPC's are plastic as well so what point is that? By your verbiage you do sound younger than I in fact. Hey though no need to argue about it.
By Menco Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:45 am
There are two kinds of musicians.
The first one uses the same equipment for years, playing and/ or creating. Buys someting new every 5-7 years

Then you have the type of musician who is more into (collecting) gear and talking about it instead of really playing and composing, buying all the latest and greatest.

Those are the people who pays AKAI’s bills for us. Don’t get distracted. Be smart. Be like Preemo. Make beats until the S950 dies.

See the same thing among motorcyclists. You have dudes buying and selling fairly new and expensive bikes, always talking about it, but dudes never ride, while other guys really beat up their motorcycles all day every day until it breaks down after a ton of miles.
By zangetsu01 Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 am
Personally I don't want to see a MPC + keys happen. Just like the Akai Force with 64 Pads.. Will it still be an MPC?
Why not just hook a midi keyboard to the unit? It will cause you less headache when one of the key die or break.

I understand that there will always be people that would welcome such a device. But I think it will even sell less than the X.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:27 am
I always try a to find an usage for equipment, even if I don't buy it. I can see this being used on stage and also incorporated into a condensed setup.

Laptop, MPK Road 88 (As MIDI Keyboard and Soundcard), MPC (Any One), Pair of Powered Monitors.

or

MPK Road 88 (As MIDI Keyboard), MPC (Any One), Pair of Powered Monitors.
By SupremeSoulstice Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 am
jeff lick wrote:Dude, I am 59 years old. Was a pro musician in 70's-80's. I too have multiple MPC's. I have the X. You could not really argue I prefer the 4000 for my beat making? For the record I never "told" anyone whatsoever what to get. I said YMMV. I personally am going to try Maschine. Simply because I did not feel the X was worth what I paid for what I got. You must realize in 6 months there will be another MPC and everyone will be doing this all over again. Many agreed with me too. As I said I do not have an issue with X. Just the price/performance ratio. I am by no means a broke kid. I am not filthy rich either TBH. No need to insult me, and you were the first person here to do so. Also, the MPC's are plastic as well so what point is that? By your verbiage you do sound younger than I in fact. Hey though no need to argue about it.

I’m 44 myself. Owned every MPC except the 1000, 2500 and the 5000.. switched to Maschine after the 4000 debacle with any mark taking over. It is what it is.. Every company tries to reinvent the well every few years. My point after to switching to Maschine after the 4000? Grass ain’t always greener on the other side. Some like being tethered to computers all the time with no option of working standalone while creating. Others don’t. Maschine is dope in ways and horrible in others. Case in point being the development of their software, which is funny because Native Instruments started off as a software company. I could of sworn I read a post from you suggesting others to buy a maschine. If I’m wrong I stand corrected.
By jeff lick Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:34 am
I agree with all of you. Unless something sucks and you made a bad purchase. Peeps with skills can play old equipment fine. Like I said about Kanye and ASR10. I bet he has the X but probably uses 4000 or 5000. He likes old gear apparently. You must admit he is a good musician regardless of you like his attitude. Prince was the same way and these dudes could afford anything.

+1 on bike. All I have is '69 Harley soft tail. It suits me fine. I do not need a Hayabusa to kill myself.

If you have "gas" that is fine too but not making much music. I don't know. I never said Maschine was better either. I have never even tried it! They all have faults but 4000 suits me best personally. My beef is that today being tethered to a computer is much more powerful. Add to that the X seems to me hardly "stand alone". I ran out of creativity in 5 hours and plugged into computer. Only way I have used it since. Perhaps it is fine for many folks too. I just felt for me it is a waste to pay for stand alone if I do not wish to use it. You also must admit Omnisphere, Serum is much more vast than MPC X. Envelopes, LFO's? What are all those Q-links for then? I am not dissing it. I just said it was a waste for me personally. I have owned a few MPCS including 4000, 5000. they are different to what I am used to with the X. That's all. If I took the time to learn something and I can pull off a good production still I do not see the need. However tethered to the computer is a whole 'nother ball game. That is why I feel the X is a waste for me personally. It is never going to do what a PC can period. You have to agree on that? I can see gigging live with the X but I have not in 20+ years. Perhaps I am just too long in the tooth(too old) to be trying to figure out the standalone. That is entirely possible. On the computer it is much more intuitive to me. which is odd given what I just said!

Just make music or collect gear or whatever you wish there is no wrong here. It is each individuals money and they decide how and where they spend it. One note though perhaps Maschine MK3 is better than the one you had? Again, I do not know I have not tried it. Even if I do like it better(or not) that is my prerogative. Not one size fits all. The MPC X is awesome connected to a computer IMO but it is just mirroring the desktop 2 feet away via USB display. I gather if searching the thousands of sounds then Maschine may be better in that respect. Don't know but I will try it next week. I do like the big screen/tilts, Q-links, format ETC but just felt not using the stand alone is a waste for me. If the price was lower it would certainly suit me then. I felt I paid for what I won't use. my money is important to me too. No doubt all of them may be great for the respective people that use them. I do not think I ever outright insulted the MPC X? It is fine, has it's uses. Just maybe not for me. I think as far as stand alone I can do much better on the 4000.

Back on topic, I do not see either why they did not make an Advance 88. The komplete Kontrol S88 seems like more of what they should have made here? This is like a stage piano. Perhaps they are trying to open new market venues for themselves and there is not thing wrong with that. bottom line, companies are in business to make a profit! For one thing I am weary of the price I paid for the MPC X due to the fact there will no doubt be a better one is 6-8 months anyhow. I cannot keep buying gear and don't need to. I am not a broke young dude as mentioned but I do not feel good about wasting my money in my perception.

Plus I am sure there are way better stage pianos to begin with. I probably would not buy this either. Nothing against AKAI. Not by any means bashing them. In fact as I said I may prefer the touch. It is the live, minus the standalone I do not use, no?

Please let's not have an argument though. everyone is welcome to their opinion. there is nothing wrong with the X anyhow. I just paid for features I do not use. That's all.