MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By leandroviernes Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 pm
Hi there,

I have a really difficult and anoying question about the MPC Live/One/X I created a live show set project. Like Pop songs. Suppose I have 6 Sequences (fEach is a different song or track) And I need to mix and correct differences between them. For example: Sequence 1 I need to apply a compresor Sequence 2 I need to apply a EQ Sequence 3 I need a maximizer Sequence 4 I need to apply a compresor with a different set up Sequence 5 I need to apply a Eq with a different set up Sequence 6 I need to apply a maximizer with a different set up

The most obvious way, it should be each sequence has their corresponding mixer Master configuration in Channel mixer mode. Like the old MPC models (1000, 2500, etc) But this it’s not posible. Also for the returns it’s not possible. I can’t create different “Returns” configurations. If I have different delays set up. For example 6 and 2 reverbs for the 6 Sequences. (Of course I can use inserts but the point it’s save DSP. It’s a live show set up and I need save memory capacity) Any suggestion? How do you organize your live sets?

Thanks!
By DokBrown Wed May 12, 2021 10:54 pm
I’m sure someone 1 else has a more elaborate solution BUT:
the simple answer is to load each piece into a separate project/folder.
You could then set up each piece exactly the way u want & save it to all to project.
Since u want this for live applications, you would need 2 MPCs & a mixer so you could switch between MPCs while the projects load. When it comes to live applications, I think 2 MPC ones solve a lot of limitations. I prefer the MPC LIVE but the one is clearly cheap enough to get 2 used ones for under $1k

If I remember correctly, my old roland MV had a way to save all the FX settings in different configurations but I never trusted it. I would save the project into a different file each time I wanted to make major changes but I never dreamed of using my MV live [way too heavy & breakable]
By Lampdog Wed May 12, 2021 10:56 pm
Use more programs. Each program can use the same reverb effect but with a different setup.
Ultimately, mpc has it's limitations.
By leandroviernes Thu May 13, 2021 7:52 am
Lampdog wrote:Use more programs. Each program can use the same reverb effect but with a different setup.
Ultimately, mpc has it's limitations.

Sorry perhaps I'm not being clear. My question it's about having more FXs configuration. I have many different programs with different configurations. But it's not the case. I'm asking about having more fxs configurations. In fact, in the old models you have less Fxs per Sequence. Only two send/returns and the master configuration Compresor/EQ. But you can create up 20 templates with different fxs configurations and associate to each sequence by midi program.
Here it's not possible. You have only a unique one template with 4 send/retuns for all the sequences.
By leandroviernes Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 pm
NearTao wrote:Correct... there is no quick way to change the FX send/return configurations, you'd need to either load a new template up, or make the changes one at a time by hand.

Thanks NearTao... Yes, I tried to invent something like save the different setup plugins but yes you need to change it manually...
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! MPC 500 can do it!!! but not MPC LIVE/X/One...
How it's possible they didn't see this little DETAIL!!

:vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
By DokBrown Thu May 13, 2021 4:38 pm
Perhaps you can automate the fx changes u want for that specific show/set ????
This would be like ELEKTRON trig locks

I do not think the MPC was designed with live uses in mind so much as replacing a laptop/DAW. It’s powerful & capable but not so ez to work live as my electribe. For my “on-the-fly” purposes, It’s missing knobs/sliders so I have MIDI mapped it to my old APC40. NOW, I can make minor changes without menu diving or having to look at the screen so much.

I imagine the akai FORCE or ELEKTRON OCTATRAK improves on this but I am committed to this MPC LIVE for now. I like the cross-fader on the force with decks A/B. I haven’t figured out how to emulate this with my APC40 cross-fader.
By leandroviernes Thu May 13, 2021 5:52 pm
DokBrown wrote:Perhaps you can automate the fx changes u want for that specific show/set ????
This would be like ELEKTRON trig locks

I do not think the MPC was designed with live uses in mind so much as replacing a laptop/DAW. It’s powerful & capable but not so ez to work live as my electribe. For my “on-the-fly” purposes, It’s missing knobs/sliders so I have MIDI mapped it to my old APC40. NOW, I can make minor changes without menu diving or having to look at the screen so much.

I imagine the akai FORCE or ELEKTRON OCTATRAK improves on this but I am committed to this MPC LIVE for now. I like the cross-fader on the force with decks A/B. I haven’t figured out how to emulate this with my APC40 cross-fader.

You can not automate "Returns" Fxs or "Master" inserts parameters. You can associate different knobs to the plugins parameters but you can not record like an automatization.
And yes the old MPC was designed for live shows. MPC2000/1000/2500 can do it. I did live sets in this ways for 6 years with an MPC1000 and MPC2500.

It's a design software problem on the new ones. The whole idea is that it’s just a sketchpad for ideas, where you make one song per project when the competitors (specifically mentioning the Octatrack here) have focused on making the device capable of live performances and you have a clear structure of Project >> song >> patterns (with scenes etc)