MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By enzyme Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:24 pm
Hi, new MPC One user here, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or user error.

When using the Auto Sampler with iPad, to create keygroup instruments, I can clearly hear missed notes during the recording, and the resulting Program reflects this with some silent pads. The issue is exactly the same across different apps

I have tried various different settings within the Auto Sampler settings with no luck so far. Disabling clock send from the MPC seems to improve things a bit but the issue is still there, and I haven't successfully made even one Keygroup that doesn't have errors :hmmm:

Using 2.10 firmware in standalone mode (my computer can't even run 2.10 !)
By enzyme Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:34 pm
Okay, so just to double check, I tried with Blofeld and the issue is even worse, I get about 1 note out of 20 actually play as it is recording. Clearly not compatible with hardware, I must have tried about 40 times by now.

I'm disappointed as the prospect of custom key groups from hardware was exciting. Kind of weird as I don't even notice any latency when playing Blofeld from the MPC pads, maybe its just a bug.
By enzyme Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:47 pm
Symianbeatz wrote:Have you tried alternative cabling, you should really exhaust every avenue before making a broad statement like that, what are you using to connect midi wise, straight din to din for the synth and a usb midi interface for the iPad?

I've exhausted every avenue this afternoon, all the connections work fine in other modes, I can play and sequence using DIN MIDI, audio cables and a Korg PlugKEY for the iPad, just the cables and MIDI lead for Blofeld.

If I open the MIDI monitor immediately after running the autosampler, there are entries showing that CC120 all sound off, is being sent to all channels in-between the notes. Not sure if its relevant but it sounds like it could be, I haven't added any automation or anything, its literally from a blank project with a MIDI track added.

Are you the same guy posting the dope D&B tracks over on Elektronauts?
By Symianbeatz Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:45 pm
Yeah that's me, just trying to understand your problem better, I haven't tried the auto sample feature in a good while and last time I did it was on an earlier version of the os, sounds like you've covered all the bases as far as cabling etc goes, there's some posts on this board regarding note off bugs with external equipment iirc, have a good look through the threads using the search function, might be related to the problems you're having, I'll try to auto sample some stuff tomorrow and get back to you, I use a dirt cheap usb midi adapter with my iPad and it's rock solid for sequencing synths so if something isn't right I'll soon know..

Heres a thread discussing the note off behaviours

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=210361&hilit=Note+off+bug
By enzyme Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 pm
I did have some success with Animoog on iPad after messing with some settings, but Gadget refused to work with the same settings. Same for the Blofeld, it receives MIDI but doesn't actually play anything, but works fine in other modes.

I guess its not that big a deal, live sequencing has much more scope, just thought it would be a bit more robust.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now 8)

Edit: Yep, this looks very similar, except I don't see note off messages, instead CC120 all sound off.
By Symianbeatz Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:53 pm
Cool, the great thing about sequencing live is that if you want to you can just sample the input back onto a pad and rinse and repeat, keygroups can be useful but they eat up loads of ram for the most part and can be pretty inflexible in some respects and hard to get a good result from without a lot of effort..

I haven't tried this yet but have you tried hosting the Synths inside AUM and using the inbuilt midi channel filtering to limit the actual channel to say 1 and then trying to autosample, obviously that won't work for gadget or the Moog synth because they're both iaa apps but if you have an auv3 synth, that could be another method to try and rule out..
By allreddv Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 am
enzyme wrote:Okay, so just to double check, I tried with Blofeld and the issue is even worse, I get about 1 note out of 20 actually play as it is recording. Clearly not compatible with hardware, I must have tried about 40 times by now.

I'm disappointed as the prospect of custom key groups from hardware was exciting. Kind of weird as I don't even notice any latency when playing Blofeld from the MPC pads, maybe its just a bug.

I just tried to do auto sampling for the first time today with hardware synths. I had no issues at all. I did it with a Novation Peak, Hydra Synth, and Minilouge XD. Not sure if I can help much with your issue as it seems like you know what you are doing, but the auto sampling does work, so either your unit is defective or there is a software issue somewhere.

I also did it with 4 velocity layers messing with filter opening on higher velocities and everything worked without any notes dropping out.

1. Just to make sure I understand clearly, you said you hear notes dropout during sampling, does this mean you hear some notes while auto sampling and then you don't hear some and then hear some again?

2. Assuming the answer to number 1 is yes, it sounds like it could possibly be a midi issue, if it is playing some notes successfully and then you don't hear anything it seems like the auto sampler thinks it is playing a note but isn't.
By Symianbeatz Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:04 am
I just tried auto sampling from the iPad and it works just fine here, I used the set up I mentioned further up, synth hosted in aum, midi channel one on both units, note stride 6 with four velocity layers and looped, have you tried just leaving it at its default settings? I also just tried animoog, works fine too, in settup on the animoog I set the input channel to one rather than Omni also, I don't have gadget I'm afraid so I couldn't test that..

If you want some pics of my settings hit me up and I'll send them to you via Google drive ..
By enzyme Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:04 pm
I've tried some different stuff today and got completely different results. Digitone works flawlessly, I tried extreme settings, 4 velocity layers, 4 octaves and note stride 1, and it recorded every single note perfectly. Various iOS apps seemed to work though some don't too. Blofeld completely refuses to respond to the auto sampler but works fine for note/cc sequencing (I didn't even run into the note off bug while running 5 channels).

It is what it is I guess. Seems to depend on how the MIDI is implemented in each synth, so its not really a bug. I've run into similar issues before.

Thanks for the input guys, and thanks for taking time out to test it out! 8)
By Straker Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:48 pm
I autosampled many Mc707 sounds before selling it, usb connection.
For the 90% it went superfine, I used a stride of 3 for the most acoustic sounds and a 5 or 6 for synths and basses with excellent results.
The weird thing is that in very few cases, no matter what the settings were, the resulting keygroups were buggy, many notes missing and others with heavy latency.
I really don't know why, it was the same even changing parameters and stride.
But it's like 2 presets in 100.
So I take it as a side effect and never mind.
By Symianbeatz Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:59 pm
enzyme wrote:I've tried some different stuff today and got completely different results. Digitone works flawlessly, I tried extreme settings, 4 velocity layers, 4 octaves and note stride 1, and it recorded every single note perfectly. Various iOS apps seemed to work though some don't too. Blofeld completely refuses to respond to the auto sampler but works fine for note/cc sequencing (I didn't even run into the note off bug while running 5 channels).

It is what it is I guess. Seems to depend on how the MIDI is implemented in each synth, so its not really a bug. I've run into similar issues before.

Thanks for the input guys, and thanks for taking time out to test it out! 8)

Glad you got it sorted to a point you're okay with man..
By jabberwalky Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:59 pm
I have had issues with this, and not saying it can fix the problems here, but make sure you're midi outputs are the same channels. i.e on the MPC is set to channel 1, and the synth is also set to channel 1. Not OMNI. The MPC sends weird note off messages that can confuse some synths. Maybe that's something to check.
By sergey Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:32 pm
jabberwalky wrote:I have had issues with this, and not saying it can fix the problems here, but make sure you're midi outputs are the same channels. i.e on the MPC is set to channel 1, and the synth is also set to channel 1. Not OMNI. The MPC sends weird note off messages that can confuse some synths. Maybe that's something to check.

Thank you for your suggestion, accidentally it was already set up like you advised.
I also tried different midi cables and usb cables, didn't help.
Thanks again for your help